Tactical Conditions

I find this extremely confusing. For instance, the "min/max" values seem to make no sense. There is a script saying:

; Set activate position:

; 1st Line - 7 Allied units within range of Alexandria

#ACTIVATE_POSITION= 141,37 [3,3] [7,7] [2]

doesn't this mean that if you have 8 units it won't happen (over 7)?

doesn't this mean if you have any units in range 0 to 2 they don't get counted?

Does it not make more sense to say:

#ACTIVATE_POSITION= 141,37 [0,3] [7,10] [2] or something like that?

what am I missing? I am having a lot of trouble making sure these things work correctly.

would it not make more sense for these scripts to be like "and more" so you could set (range within X) or X or more/less units?

I would also love to have some things like "control" vs units, as in "moscow is occupied" vs. a unit is there or "moscow is friendly" again with or without a unit.

Tactical conditions depend entirely on what the author intends for the script to do. Having a range of [7,7] would indicate that exactly 7 units must be in the range specified to trigger the event. I have used such ranges myself for specific situations. More usually, however, I use a more 'traditional' range value of [1,9] when I am simply looking for a presence of some kind to trigger an event.

For additional clarification, the way the min/max numbers work is as follows:

#ACTIVATE_POSITION= 141,37 [1,3] [3,7] [2]

For range the entry [1,3] is simply saying to the game engine pick a number between 1 and 3 inclusive and that is the range we will check on this particular turn. For units [3,7] pick a number between 3 and 7 inclusive and this is the number we will check for on this turn.

So let's say the game engine picks 2 for range and 6 for units. The check performed will be are there at least 6 units within 2 tiles of position 141,37? If so then execute, if not event fails.

The current system has been implemented to create some randomness in game. For example, in the past players knew the exact number of units they needed to have in range of a specific tile to trigger an event like the Siberian Transfer. With this system it is not as absolute and creates some randomness from game to game.

If however you want to specify exact ranges and a minimum number of units then I would suggest the following:

#ACTIVATE_POSITION= 141,37 [3,3] [7,7] [2]

This tells the game engine to check for at least 7 Allied units within 3 tiles of position 141,37.

Hope this helps,

Hubert