Questions on Purchase Script

I am a tad unsure how these work. Let us say I have a script like this:

1939 date - 50% Corps [1] and 25% Army [1]

then another 1940 date - same thing + 25% sub [1] - whatever

This is the way I THINK it works:

It checks each turn - if it hits Corps (and can buy) - gets it, if it hits Army and can buy, it gets it. It keeps doing this until either:

1) It fails to buy anything and 1940 date then activated or

2) It buys both units

Now suppose it only gets a Corps, but by then the 40 is active - does the 39 come back if the 40 script "misses"?

There is not "end date" that can be set which seems strange, that is why I need to understand the sequencing.

If you have two dates, i.e. 1939 and 1940, then the 1939 one will stop running once you reach 1940 and only the 1940 one will then be operating.

To ensure you get the results you want, why not set up a tiny scenario with just two countries, some simple purchase scripts, lots of MPPs available, and see what happens!

To make it easier you can turn off the production delay.

I would suggest ordering the events in decreasing year order, so that would put your 1940 event before the 1939 purchase event. The main reason for this is that the game engine only reads in one purchase event at a time per country so if you list the 1939 event first it will only ever use this one since it is always satisfied by the date and the remaining events will be skipped. This is what I have done for the Fall Weiss campaigns etc.

Ok so if I reverse-order them, then it reads 39 and stays with that until it is instead triggered by the script earlier that has a date - say 1941 - so to summarize:

I am the PC and look at the UK 1944 - no go

1943 - no good

1942 - no good

1941 - no good

1939 - GOOD!

I do that every turn, until one day it goes:

1944 - no good

1943 - no good

1942 - no good

1941 - Good!

1939 - script will no longer be used

but the numbers -

If I say it is 10% for a corps [1] is it possible it could but 1 corps more than one time? i.e. that [] does not count as a sort of "buy inventory" does it?

Also - does it go in order so that buying HQ is rolled first, then Corps, and so on down - if so, then items lower on list are bought less often - even if % is same or even higher - because AI may run out of money buying earlier hits?

Hubert can confirm the sequence, which I think goes in the order listed in the purchase script, but there are several other factors to consider. First there is generic logic for the AI to reinforce units, upgrade units and rebuild asterisked losses. For actual new purchases, the AI goes through the script and performs simple checks: 10% corps [2], if yes then buy two corps, or one, or none depending on funds; then move to next check, etc. There was some additional logic added a while ago where if the country has more than 4x its production in saved MPPs available, then the AI will cycle through the purchase scripts multiple times; there was a nasty MPP buildup issue before this.

So. Consider all that and assume some percentage of MPPs that your AI country may have to spend and then assign purchase % accordingly. If the first listed units have a good chance, then its likely those units will be built before later listed units. If you want a decent statistical spread of builds, assign relatively low chances, remembering that over a year of turns you might see x number of new units built. And those are new units only you need to worry about, not rebuilding asterisked units that are destroyed in supply. Clear as mud??

I'd like to provide clearer guidance, but there are too many variables to juggle. I can offer a suggestion. Create a spreadsheet for all your purchase scripts so you can see the big picture. As you playtest and see too much of this and not enough of that, you can make adjustments accordingly. Kentucky windage and all that. Voodoo dolls, whatever.

I do understand all that, but can you confirm that if I have say 10% [1] would it theoretically buy 1 unit on a turn, then some other turn buy 1 unit, and so on...

or does it buy 1 unit and then does that get set to [0] until another script comes along?

My understanding is it does the first - the reason I ask is that [1] is fine if it gets done multiple times, but if only once and I want the AI to buy say 4 units (over time) I would have to change it.