Vista + GeForce 8400 Success

I recently built a new computer and installed Vista Home Premium(32bit). The system is an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.4GHz with 4GB RAM and the GeForce 8400 GS card with 256K. This video card had worked fine for all four Combat Mission games in my previous computer under Windows XP. However, on initial load of Vista, CMSF and CMBO worked great but CMBB and CMAK had cascading video in the background and were painfully jerky and slow. I read the numerous posts about Vista and NVidia and resigned myself to tweaking the NVidia Control Panel settings.

Eureka! Setting the Antiailasing mode to "Override any application setting" eliminated the adverse video effects! The two games are still somewhat slow and jerky so I continue to monkey with Anisotropic Filtering, Antialiasing-Gamma Correction, Antialiasing settings between 2x and 16x, and Antialiasing-Transparancy settings.

Has anyone got the magic combo for re-gaining smooth program action?

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar problem (well sorta similar -here it is in depth)

"My problem is this. I've recently upgraded (sic) to Vista run on a Dell laptop and one of the requirements I listed to my son who "designed" it for me was that it should be able to run ShockForce. And it does.

Unfortunately now I can't run CMs One, Two or Three. You know Normandy, Afrika Korp and Eastern front. This is a major pain for me. A VERY helpful chap called Martin at Battlefront told me it was probably the result of having a new graphics card (whatever that is) and he asked me to list the graphics stuff.

Herewith:-

Graphics

> >>

> >> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> >>

> >> Display adapter type ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series

> >> Total available graphics memory 1534 MB

> >> Dedicated graphics memory 256 MB

> >> Dedicated system memory 0 MB

> >> Shared system memory 1278 MB

> >> Display adapter driver version 8.477.0.0

> >> Primary monitor resolution 1440x900

> >> DirectX version DirectX 10

> >>

.................................................. ..............................

Chaps, I'm 60 and not the computer genius my son is. I want to live until at least 80, but if I can't have all FOUR Battlefront games what's the point?

Can anyone help?

Chris Harvey.

Now my son who is paid lots of UK £s sterling says the easiest way to get around this is to load a "Virtual Computer" into my Dell laptop. I don't know what he means (well I do, but couldn't do it myself.) by this so hopefully he'll be doing it for me. If you're still not totally happy then send me an e-mail and when he's sorted it I'll tell you if it works and, hopefully, how to do it.

donnieitaly@fastmail.fm

@HijackGMH

I've got my system to run at the same state of yours it seems. resolved background warping issue but still have shocking framerates no matter what size map etc.

In theory my PC should thrash this game into the floor (i run Crysis DX10 at medium settings to put it in relation). I've got an nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS.

I'd like to resolve this issue after wanting to play the old operation style scenarios that only CMx1 can provide!

• 2 weeks later...

After being called a Troll for expressing my boredom at people knocking Vista (and therefore Vista 64) I decided to reinstall CM2 BTB to see if it works under Latest nvida drivers for 8800 , I have found that all I had to do in order to get it working was to set Antialiasing Mode --> 'Overide any application setting' and set Antialiasing to x2

Of course I set this in a unique profile for the CM.exe file so as to not impact other game settings

Yes it is mildly jerky but playable which is all I want out of a game that if i am honest I haven't picked up for months

I will revisit again if CMC comes out and current performance will be fine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...