Blast Command

Here's how it works as far as I have been able to determine:

For a blast path, the unit will stop at the waypoint at the start of the blast command (which might be their current position of course). They will blast the first wall (within 15-20 meters) that lies in the direction of the blast move. Then they will perform a quick move to their destination, which may or may not involve going through the blasted hole. If there is no wall close enough to their blasting position, they will wait a while doing nothing, and then do their quick move.

Does that cover it?

hockay.

sooo

when you blast a wall, you want your guys (with detpacks) to be standing on one side of the wall. You then select the BLAST thingy from one of the command menus (i forgot which 1) and you set the waypoint on the OTHER SIDE OF THE WALL if you want your men to blast the wall and move through it. You can also just set the waypoint ON THE WALL if you just want a nice explosion and a hole in something.

You can do this with buildings too but in 1.08 (njot sure bout 1.10), there are a few problems with this. When you blast a wall, it will take a few seconds to blast it. If you need to know if you did it right, just click on your men. Some of them should be "hiding" and "spotting" randomly. If that's the case, in a few seconds, the glory of detpacks will come down.

yeap

hockay.

sooo

when you blast a wall, you want your guys (with detpacks) to be standing on one side of the wall. You then select the BLAST thingy from one of the command menus (i forgot which 1) and you set the waypoint on the OTHER SIDE OF THE WALL if you want your men to blast the wall and move through it. You can also just set the waypoint ON THE WALL if you just want a nice explosion and a hole in something.

You can do this with buildings too but in 1.08 (njot sure bout 1.10), there are a few problems with this. When you blast a wall, it will take a few seconds to blast it. If you need to know if you did it right, just click on your men. Some of them should be "hiding" and "spotting" randomly. If that's the case, in a few seconds, the glory of detpacks will come down.

yeap

Yes they will blast walls in 1.10. I was able to do it Shores of Tripali.

when you blast a wall, you want your guys (with detpacks) to be standing on one side of the wall. You then select the BLAST thingy from one of the command menus (i forgot which 1) and you set the waypoint on the OTHER SIDE OF THE WALL if you want your men to blast the wall and move through it.

You should note that the important point for what gets blasted is how close to the wall the blast move starts. You can put the destination waypoint half a mile away - they will just try and blow up the first wall with 16 meters that they come to in that direction. This can be useful to know to avoid sticking a blast target waypoint just on the other side of a wall, followed by a move into building command, and have the guys mill around in their 'waiting for everyone at the waypoint' state.

As an example of three variations on a theme (yellow is a 'quick' move, red is a 'blast one). The black line is a wall, the white box is a house.

blastexamplexi0.jpg

Top-most move will go up to the wall, blast a hole, and then pile straight through the hole into the house via the nearest door.

The middle move will go up to the wall, blast a hole, move through, reassemble at the waypoint, and then move into the house via the nearest door.

The lowest move will blow up the wall, reassemble, move up to the house, blow a hole in that, and then enter (probably via mix of the breach and doors, depending on positions).

Entering / leaving houses via blast can be complex, particularly for MOUT squads with 3 teams, since the teams will tend to take different paths. 1st team plots its move through the breach, 2nd team sees 1st team blocking it and plots a move via a nearby door, and so on.

I think I may have gotten the blast thing to work, now I have another question. It has to do with the SMAW. Am I correct in the fact that the marines use weapon among other things to create breaches through walls and buildings? I tried to use it to breach a wall with no luck.

Even after playing the game a billion times I found myself a bit confused by 'Blast' command recently too. So in one of the scenarios I made a special point of adding the instruction "Put blast waypoint far side of wall" right in my mission orders. I notice BFC added this suggestion into the manual update too. For blast command all you need for it to work right is to use it right. After the 3rd time practice it becomes second nature and works like a charm every time. :)

Yepp its doable in 1.10 as well.

No1 the simpel way.

1.jpg

The blast command is given on YOUR side of the wall, not the other side as you normally would do.

2.jpg

Blasting and staying on this side. they do however runs up to the wall before turning back, but the dust from the explosion gives them cover.

No2 The Advanced way - when you want them to get the hell out of there afterwards.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Once again they do run up to the wall, but quickly turns around and runs out of the area. Good thing to do if you dont want the breaching team to be around after breaching and playing WEGO.

Hope it helps!

/Thomas

• Place Movement command 2 action spaces from the wall
  • Place BLAST command 1 action space from wall(adjacent). Making it 90 degrees perpendicular to the wall.

The unit will hide then blast the wall, then move close for cover and give itself a face command without going thru it. Leaving a nice big hole for your Assault teams to charge thru. oOOHRAH!

2n2430m.jpg

2vwz9ug.jpg

11hxsmq.jpg

Outstanding tutorial Chainsaw, ya beat me to the punch. :D Makin me look lazy. I guess I'm gettin old, you young pups are fast.

Time to change name to "Devil-Grand-pa-dog" ? ;)

Okey okey, djumping into the pit.... :D

Big Poppa Pump: you sure you got lucky today, 2 different posts on same subject, if you fail now you will become a sailor :D

/Thomas

• 1 month later...

the blast command works fine, when set on the other side of the wall to be destroyed. However, it might takes some time and the breach might be sufficient for the grunts, but not for a Humvee, LAV, M1 or AAV. It takes then a second try. The troop are then usually under fire, unless the breach was planned in more or less a covered spot.

I have found in Tripoli shore that the AAV did not went throught the sea wall being blasted (as told in the briefing) why ??? they are the ones usually having difficulties going throught quickly or not at all. Did it happen to you ?

• 2 months later...

I never had a problem just setting the breach on the other side of the wall. I just simply drag the red line to where I want the engineers to go. I have had 100% success every time with this. Actually i have never done it teh way shown in this thread. That looks more complicated to me.

Hello everybody. I have some problems with the "Blast" command without going to the other side of the wall. I've issued the exact same orders as Huntarr or Chainsaw show in their pics but for some reason, my guys are just standing there without blasting anything. When I issue the same order and click just behind the wall, they do blast it but they move in the breach which is something I don't want. ;)

Does something have been changed with the latest patch regarding this order?

• 3 weeks later...

I can't help but feel that the problem some are having replicating these results lies in variables within the action spot system which we are not privy to understanding.

I've used the same technique to try and blast a hole without entering, and only succeeded in blasting a LOW WALL which was directly behind my troops. So right there we can see that if we throw in just a few terrain variables that are different from a normal case situation, the results can vary quite wildly.

Finally a friend of mine made a quick scenario to test different approaches and the end result is : it all depends on the facing order. At least, it was what we observe. Without a facing order attached to the waypoint before the blast command, nothing happens. Moving infantry + facing order (to the wall :P) + blast at the square near the wall or the square before it and your blast will be a success. ;) It worked for me. :)

I'll try to make some screenies when i go home. It'll be easir to explain. :) They move to the Blast waypoint. The Blast waypoint wasn't behind the wall so they didn't go through. They move to it and then, depends on where was the waypoint, they hide behind the wall (still without going through the blast) or stay where they finished their move. ;)

I have only tested on walls but in the mini-scenario there are also buildings so i'll try on these too.

Screenies as promised.

2 Teams going straight to the wall, notice the facing order before the "blast". The first team got a blast order the square right in front of the wall, the second team got a blast order the square before the one right in front of the wall.

miniBlastTeam1_1.jpg miniBlastTeam2_1.jpg

Nice holes in the wall.

miniBlastTeam1_2.jpg miniBlastTeam2_2.jpg

Final position :

miniBlastTeam12.jpg