Going to town

Atago

I'm still very much learning - so with that in mind...

Stock scenario 2 - US forces need to get into the town, clear out the bad guys and get to the check points (or whatever you call them). US forces are Strikers (a few with 40mm launchers, the rest with 12.7mm) and attendant squads. 2 tanks show up at 10 minutes in.

My problem...

I approach the town with the strikers too closely and RPG's pick them off. If I don't close with them then the troops seem to take fire badly as they don't have cover until actually in town. How do I approach the town without loosing Strikers or too many troops?

On attack my vehicles often spot an RPG team but seem to not react fast enough, the team often can KO the striker before any fire can be brought to bear on it. Something I'm doing wrong here?

Perhaps I'm expecting too much. Maybe the way to find the RPG teams (or other anti armor forces) involves putting a Striker or two at risk to cause the enemy to expose their AT teams. Once you spot them, they get only one shot typically, but you can go though a lot of strikers doing the "wiggle your ass in the air" routine!

Once actually IN town then the troops seem to be on their own. Strikers are limited to where they can go, and the troops apparently have to clear buildings of RPG teams before the armor can be moved up. By that time most of the support work is over - it's too late.

I'd love to see an "expert" walk through of this scenario!

I finally won the first scenario - read my orders for a change and just end ran around to my destination - put my Arty to good use for a change (does it do anything to infantry in buildings - 82, 120mm mortars?).

Thanks!

Stock scenario 2 -

this is Huntarr tutorial about town/village approach Pop-N-Drop

Mind if I lend a hand if I can? What is the scenario name of "Stock scenario 2"? I might have a gameplay somewhere to give you a leg up. Sorta sounds like Al Amarah. If it is then yes, mikkey Pop-N-Drop tutorial comes right out of that map. One of my all time favorite maps and even makes an "appearance" in the upcoming Marines Module

SPOILER ALERT!

You have several places to setup on this map. I prefer to setup on the blind side of the causeway. Have your FO (Forward Observer) & MG (Machine Gun) team stay on the top of the causeway dismounted, their Stryker never crossing the causeway until needed. They will be able to spot better. You’ll have your Main force QUICK over the road and down into the grass area. 1st PLT (Platoon) will form line behind the berm hidden in the grass. Dismount them and spread out and deploy your MG teams. They will provide Overwatch for the 3rd PLT who will be continuing the sweep around the Flank to the N (North) and getting ready to step off for the Pop-N-Drop on the N side of town behind the orchard. If your bold you can setup the 3rd PLT there on the N side, but I find it hit or miss. Once the 1st PLT is deployed (you’ll probably be taking fire) suppress the ambush spots with Stryker support and mortars. When 3rd is rallied behind the orchard have them perform Pop-N-Drop, which you can see links to Al Amarah. Once you have your foot hold on the N side of town, slowly peal off (mount up) your 1st PLT and have them swing around thru the orchard and bound over 3rd PLT. I won’t ruin the rest for you unless you get stuck. If you have any question sound off. Hope that helps and good luck.

qxnxbo.jpg Semper Fi

Carry On

The scenario to which he's referring is actually called Going To Town - I haven't seen it in the full game but it's one of the three missions in the demo. A Stryker company (I think) starts on the outskirts of a town with three objective buildings \ compounds to clear, but there are some ATGMs out the other side of town with a bit of a line to your starting vicinity (well, Blue's starting vicinity, it also plays okay as Red).

However, many of the same tricks will work, of course, the only major difference from Al Amarah is the lack of non-urban area to play around in beforehand; Going To Town lands you right on the outskirts when you start.

This is my first post by the way, and I'd like to take the opportunity to say a BIG THANK YOU to Huntarr for the excellent illustrated tutorials, they really helped me start to get my head around modern tactics. It sure ain't Beyond Overlord!

Let's think this through, Atago.

What would you need to spot enemy anti-tank? What elements in your force composition best suit that role? Given the terrain layout and force disposition, how can you maximize their effectiveness?

And I wonder why I don't like forums - you always find someone that wants to be condescending or sarcastic :rolleyes:.

For those that actually tried to help thank you, I tried a different set-up location than the one I used previously and got through with minimal casualties. Went on to the next one where you have strikers and infantry fighting tanks and squeezed through that too (lost a couple strikers, but did OK). Now I'm onto the tank battle... heh, got my ass handed to me there first try!

And I wonder why I don't like forums - you always find someone that wants to be condescending or sarcastic :rolleyes:

I don't think that he tried to be either. To me, it seems like he just wanted to guide you trough by holding your hand, it's how most of the experienced teachers do when they try to teach something to a student. Asking questions is, atleast in my opinion, best way to teach as they help you to think clearer and come up with your own solutions, which is always more rewarding. It also improves your way of thinking, which helps you with future problems.

I don't think that he tried to be either. To me, it seems like he just wanted to guide you trough by holding your hand, it's how most of the experienced teachers do when they try to teach something to a student. Asking questions is, atleast in my opinion, best way to teach as they help you to think clearer and come up with your own solutions, which is always more rewarding. It also improves your way of thinking, which helps you with future problems.

Possibly but it came across that way. I had explained the dilemma I was having, using infantry spotting for bad buys (but getting shot at) and being unable to pull up AFV support. I thought though that I had pointed out that I knew that infantry spotting was probably the best bet. If he had a better idea (half squad or something, leaders perhaps) just saying so would have been much more informative. I DO give these things some thought before posting.

If I got the tone wrong I Apologize! Don't want to rub anyone the wrong way!!!