Army Ranger Units?

If not, very easy to replicate. I would assume if you changed them all to elite with some leadership mods and equipment mods, you then have Rangers or Delta, ect. You can even rename them .

This would likely work fine for Rangers.....but in terms of SOF type units.....I think an additional tweak/s (internal) would be needed (and hope to see them!). Just making the units slightly even more proficient than what we see from elite now (in terms of weapons accuracy, morale, etc).

Any chance that we may get Ranger Companies or Ranger Battalions from the 75th Ranger Regiment in the game eventually?

I know 4 of the Rangers, 75th Ranger Regiment, Somalia & Black Hawk Down fame. All 4 are my heroes.

To Battlefront: How about hooking up with a couple of these guys & add the 75th Rangers to the game?

Biggest problem with SF units, is the organization. It's almost impossible to make an ODA, and then add say an attachment, ex. Air Force CAC. Then make it operate properly. CMSF just doesn't wanna do it.

I tried, then got pissed. But, it's probably just me.

BTW, I don't think airborne's a big deal. Just have a light fighter unit, reinforce a few minutes in, and they appear, albeit no chutes, but hell, gotta use a little imagination.

Airborne is merely an infil. Air Assault can be infil, exfil, redistribution of forces, and CAS. I'd rather air assault over airborne any day.

This would likely work fine for Rangers.....but in terms of SOF type units.....I think an additional tweak/s (internal) would be needed (and hope to see them!). Just making the units slightly even more proficient than what we see from elite now (in terms of weapons accuracy, morale, etc).

So then who is elite? I mean another level of experience seems overkill when there are already 4 or 5. I mean elite means you are the best. A total bad ace. Give them the best equipment and high leadership and in my eyes you have the best the game has to offer.

Biggest problem with SF units, is the organization. It's almost impossible to make an ODA, and then add say an attachment, ex. Air Force CAC. Then make it operate properly. CMSF just doesn't wanna do it.

I tried, then got pissed. But, it's probably just me.

BTW, I don't think airborne's a big deal. Just have a light fighter unit, reinforce a few minutes in, and they appear, albeit no chutes, but hell, gotta use a little imagination.

Airborne is merely an infil. Air Assault can be infil, efil, redistribution of forces, and CAS. I'd rather air assault over airborne any day.

Isn't the SF battalion organization the exact same as a standard battalion? When I researched it, it appeared so. Correct me if I am wrong. Are you referring to the team size? If so then I guess you have a problem since there a captain leads a 12 man team and to make that team would be impossible I suppose.

Isn't the SF battalion organization the exact same as a standard battalion? When I researched it, it appeared so. Correct me if I am wrong. Are you referring to the team size? If so then I guess you have a problem since there a captain leads a 12 man team and to make that team would be impossible I suppose.

Again, there are piles of SOF fanboys out there who can spew far more authoritatively on this than I can, but I can say this: the nominal company or battalion structure has nothing to do with how SF units actually operate on the battlefield. In fact, whenever these guys are used in platoon or company strength like some kind of Rambo superinfantry -- e.g. Somalia, Panama -- they prove that they can die as quickly as anyone else.

1. The individual operators are FAR too valuable to use up in high risk assaults or even rappel and kick-in-the-door raids that a Ranger, USMC Force Recon, or Royal Marine Commando force could accomplish equally well. These guys are good shots, but they're not Rambo -- they don't put out noticeably more or better killing power man-for-man than other top end infantry. Their value-added and hard to get skills lie in other directions having to do with stealthy recon, sabotage or civic action (training and organizing local friendly forces like Kurds or Montagnards).

2. As an ex-SEAL buddy told me, SOFs are basically like spies -- as soon as the enemy knows you're there your mission is over and there's only downside to sticking around. If they do ambush, it's claymores + 1 clip full auto, then break contact so the enemy counterattack lands on empty scrapes.

Mainstream infantry officers often look on these doctrines as prima donna and unmanly, but they make perfect sense... you can always get more pump monkeys with brass balls. You can't get Westerners fluent in Urdu who can also jump butt naked into the tundra and walk out alive and healthy, stabilize a chest wound with a field medikit and operate a secure comset.

In these times of asymetrical warfare, these units have also dabbled in fire support and scout sniper duty, but the rules are the same -- as soon as you're compromised, get out. The SEAL CMH winner in Iraq (God keep his soul), sacrificed his life when his position became compromised, probably due to interference by the aforementioned infantry jocks. If the enemy got close enough to hurl a grenade, something went seriously wrong there.

One question I have is what is everyone envisioning when they talk about adding SF units? To be honest, most of the missions are outside the scope of the game or would be REALLY boring.

These guys don't possess any super powers as so many seem to think. They have some neat toys but their skill set isn't that much different from regular infantry. They just practice what they do ALL THE TIME. They use the same basic small unit tactics as your standard infantry squad. They have some different weapons, most of which are comparable to what everone else is using but modified for ease of handeling and maintenance. Lots of sub machine guns and different rifles but they generally fire the same rounds.

The Rangers are the only ones who operate in any appreciable numbers but they specialize in smash and grab type missions. SF and Delta operate in very small teams and either tend to organize local assets, take out high value targets, or engage in deep recon where they try their damnest not to be found. Things like Somalia are few and far between.

If you just want to have battalions of Green Berets and D-boys running around then you've been watching too many movies. For the Rangers, you can use MOUT infantry squads set to veteran or elite experience and use them in company strength or, very rarely, as a battalion. Throw in a couple gun trucks to act as Land Rovers and a couple Javelin teams from the Marines module and you will basically have a Ranger unit.

Are you telling me that Chuck Norris's portrayal of a Delta operator was false? Charlie Sheen really wasn't a SEAL?

Man I was there! Chuck and me storming in to grab those hostages, it was so covert. I still run my dune buggy with blue lights for fun. I took the ole' motorbike out yesterday and launched a few missiles from the bike at pumpkins. It was an awesome day.

Looking forward to the release of this book, which looks like it will reveal a lot about how SpecOps forces are operating in a COIN environment with regular troops and local forces.

http://www.amazon.com/Sheriff-Ramadi-Dick-Couch/dp/1591141389

Product Description

In this ground-breaking book, bestselling author and former U.S. Navy SEAL Dick Couch follows the SEAL Task Unit in Iraq s Anbar Province between 2005 and 2007, chronicling the unit s deployment in the Battle of Ramadi. Based on extensive interviews with Army, Navy, and Marine personnel who fought in the battle and the author s firsthand assessment of the situation when he traveled to Ramadi in 2007, Couch details the previously unrecognized importance of the SEALS in winning the fight to control Ramadi. Calling the battle the most significant military engagement in the global war against terrorism since 9/11 and the most sustained and vicious engagement ever fought by SEALs, Couch describes the success of special operations forces/Navy SEALs fighting side by side with conventional forces. Couch identifies the SEALs ability to adapt and evolve in this urban battle space and their code of brotherhood as the keys of their success. Among the many examples of this extraordinary brotherhood is the story of PO2 Michael A. Monsoor, who was posthumously, awarded the Medal of Honor for his bravery in Ramadi.

The author argues that the lessons of Ramadi should provide a template for future joint combined cooperation in the war against al-Qaeda and their allies. Once an advocate of special-forces control of battle space, Couch is now convinced of the need for increased interoperability as well as increased language and cross-cultural training, and a more streamlined command and communication infrastructure issues he addresses in the book s epilogue. Couch admits that when he began researching the book in the summer of 2006, he thought he would be writing about the SEALs courage in a losing cause, but what emerged is a startling success story of a joint combined forces/special forces operation that has gone underreported.

I agree that most SOF missions are well outside the realm of CMSF, except as scenario "additions". SOF is being integrated into conventional operations and "joint" SOF-conventional ops are extremely effective when synched together. The USMC has been operating in the conventional-SOF "grey area" since the 80s.

I would like to have SEAL and SF "squads" available for scenarios involving SOF supporting conventional units or vice versa. When I was a Marine Civil Affairs Tactical Team leader in Iraq in 04, I was attached to an Army light infantry unit and then to a Marine battalion landing team. I working with two different SF ODAs on separate occasions. I think there is going to be alot more SOF/Conventional integration at the operational level. Its really just common sense.

I have been told by the real LtCol McKnight of "Blackhawk Down" fame, that much of the animosity protrayed in the book and the movie about the friction between the Rangers and Delta operators was mostly fiction and exaggerated. When I worked with the ODA teams, I detected absolutely none of that. While I am sure it happens and there are always egos and competition involved when you have warrior organizations work together, the bottom line is that we are all in the same fight together, spilling the same American blood on the battlefield, against a common enemy.

I have been told by the real LtCol McKnight of "Blackhawk Down" fame, that much of the animosity protrayed in the book and the movie about the friction between the Rangers and Delta operators was mostly fiction and exaggerated. When I worked with the ODA teams, I detected absolutely none of that. While I am sure it happens and there are always egos and competition involved when you have warrior organizations work together, the bottom line is that we are all in the same fight together, spilling the same American blood on the battlefield, against a common enemy.

I agree. I was on a FOB that had 82nd, Rangers, and Delta / random SOF units on it. There was no friction to speak of, unless you count the minor annoyances when it comes to differences in communication and security systems.