Dynamic Campaign

Quenaelin

What is missing in Theatre of War is dynamic campaign with world map, this doesn't exclude historically accurate missions or campaigns, you could still be able to play and create them. Game should create tactical maps from real world maps and their topography and land should be deformable so you could dig defend position for tanks and troops yourself, of course with realistic resource control with factories and supply routes to frontlines. Somekind of combination of Total War game and Theatre of War. You could move armies but also fight smaller fights while computer calculates results according to your battle. For example: If you have three armies against one enemy army group then you would have three times more tanks in your battlemap and if enemy has managed to attack your supply routes then you will be lacking ammo or fuel.

I've been thinking the along the same lines about this game.

I recently picked up Pacific Storm Allies and all I could think was how nice it would be if TOW had a stategy game behind the tactical game like PSA has. I think it is a good analogy of what your talking about but only in a WWII naval setting.

I love games where your working on a larger goal that could take days or weeks even to finish. It doesn't need to be historicaly accurate, they could always keep historical single missions in as well. Add some direct control as brought up in another thread just like PSA has and that would be great.

Obviously all of this will ever happen with a patch, but it would be the ultimate game for me.

My wishful thinking is that this never crossed the developers minds when making TOW and they'll take it into consideration on a future game. Heck they're half way there already.

Perhaps I have to also buy Pacific Storm Allies, it was new to me that this kind of game even existed, great news! What pixel shader support it needs, I only have shader 2 support in my graphics card? How about multiplayer? Does this game work with Hamachi VPN, I would like to play good strategy game with my friend also?

I hope developers would concentrate more to create games which would be as versatile as you want, you could have full control of one single unit, but you don't have to, you could play only strategy part if you want.

Ok, I noticed there is patch, doesn't it help with bugs? I remember that these revolutional games have been always filled with bugs, maybe becouse they are so complicated for developers to make. Braveheart (name was changed to Braveheart by publisher) game for PC was also filled with bugs but it was really first medieval era 3D tactical wargame, it was released year before Shogun Total War, but wasn't any success becouse of lots of bugs, I could not play through campaign but anyway played until it was crashing and it was still fun to play and after playing alot you really could predict when it was about to CTD :)

I think something along that lines could work on a smaller scale. Not necessarily an entire theater of operation, but maybe operations stemming from a HQ at divisional level. That in itself would require multiple "higher-level" maps and multiple scenarios to game. In a game that only simulates about a company of units per side, anything larger would only be abstract at best. You would be jumping too many command levels just to make it happen.

If you look at some TOE's for real combat groups in WWII, you will see that even a divisional level breakout of your force would be monstrous and would require many sessions to complete as a campaign.

Player shouldn't need to control everything, only big strategical level of control and smaller battle level of control should be enough. Computer could solve battles between armies in 2-3 smaller player controlled battles between platoons or companies and computer calculates rest. But you should be able to control supply routes and factories in bigger strategy map and maybe even research and develop new secret weapons and tanks, which are historically accurate, player should only be able to distribute them between troops and armies. I would like to play many "what if" WWII scenarios.

Perhaps I have to also buy Pacific Storm Allies, it was new to me that this kind of game even existed, great news! What pixel shader support it needs, I only have shader 2 support in my graphics card? How about multiplayer? Does this game work with Hamachi VPN, I would like to play good strategy game with my friend also?

I hope developers would concentrate more to create games which would be as versatile as you want, you could have full control of one single unit, but you don't have to, you could play only strategy part if you want.

I'm not too sure about the pixel shader thing. I'm running a ATI X850 which is pretty dated now.

I haven't tried multiplayer yet, looks like it could be fun, but it's only on the tactical level of the game. Don't know about Hamachi.

Try demo first, i have bought it and has a lot of bugs which disables you from finishing the campaign. Its good concept but too many technical flaws.

br.

Dr.Jones

THe demo only gives you a tactical level mission. It doesn't show any of the stratigic part of the game.

I've only had the game crash once. It was when I lost my first practice campaign. Being the campaign was over, I'm not sure if I missed anything.

THe beginning of the campaigns are kind of boring while your building up your forces and bases. You don't have the opportunities to get to go into the 3d tactical part of the game until war starts. That's when things starts getting fun.

I've had the game slow down one time when I had a large squadron of planes attacking a base with a large city nearby. But I did many other attacks since then and I haven't seen it slow down like that again. I think it was the city because when I looked the other way, things were smooth.

It runs pretty good for the most part on my 3.2 pent 4 and I'm enjoying it. I'm still figuring the game out to be honest though, so hopefully it will be even better once I get more comfortable with everything.

I'm not so sure I would want the same depth in the stratigic level for something to work with TOW. But some sort of dynamic campaign for TOW would really do it justice even if it was on a much smaller scale.

I'm not too sure about the pixel shader thing. I'm running a ATI X850 which is pretty dated now.

I haven't tried multiplayer yet, looks like it could be fun, but it's only on the tactical level of the game. Don't know about Hamachi.

I already bought this game and it looks like fun game. I haven't time to play with campaign, only played first training mission and try to figure how to play this game and also fiddling with server settings. I have Radeon X800 and game works well atleast in first training mission, everything set to high.

I haven't tried it yet with my friend, but It should work with Hamachi. First start Hamachi and then you should disable Local Area Network in Network Connections, but not Hamachi Virtual Network, then start gameserver and after server is running jump back to Windows and enable Local Area Network again so it reconnects, now game should get correct Hamachi IP address.

THe demo only gives you a tactical level mission. It doesn't show any of the stratigic part of the game.

I've only had the game crash once. It was when I lost my first practice campaign. Being the campaign was over, I'm not sure if I missed anything.

THe beginning of the campaigns are kind of boring while your building up your forces and bases. You don't have the opportunities to get to go into the 3d tactical part of the game until war starts. That's when things starts getting fun.

Wow, it has war preparation part too, this lacks in most of typical strategy games, except Civilization type games. I am looking forward to start campaign, but not just yet, before I learn to play this game.

I've had the game slow down one time when I had a large squadron of planes attacking a base with a large city nearby. But I did many other attacks since then and I haven't seen it slow down like that again. I think it was the city because when I looked the other way, things were smooth.

It runs pretty good for the most part on my 3.2 pent 4 and I'm enjoying it. I'm still figuring the game out to be honest though, so hopefully it will be even better once I get more comfortable with everything.

I'm not so sure I would want the same depth in the stratigic level for something to work with TOW. But some sort of dynamic campaign for TOW would really do it justice even if it was on a much smaller scale.

I really would like to be able to command everything in strategic level, as long as it is properly made game, but if you have too much units in 3D tactical battle it isn't manageable anymore, you should only be able to play small scale tactical battles not whole army level battles in 3D. Game should be well made so it is fun to play, GUI and everything else should be easy enough to control.