Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

ATI RAGE II White Screen in battle

I have a ATI Rage II video card. When ever I go to do a battle the entire screen is white. Is there a patch or a fix for this and have you seen this before. Here of a list of the troubleshooting steps already taken.

Installed latest version of Direct X

Installed latest version of video card drivers.

Tried all resolution settings. Both within CO and through Display.

Tried all color settings.

This is a fresh install of win 98SE and also the only video card ever in this system.

Tried to reinstall CO

Installed patches for CO

System.

1.2GHZ Athlon 128 MB RAM. Via 286 chipset. Maxtor ATA 100 drive. Built in sound. Rage 2 video card is PCI type card.

Do you have any suggestions.

Thanks, :(

Do you have fog in the scenario ? If so, then it's possible your version of the drivers for the ATI Rage II are 'grey-ing out' the screen in an attempt to display fog-tables. I've seen this with a Radeon, but not the earlier ATI chipsets.

The last release from ATI for this chipset was July of 1998, so you may already be using these:

ATI Rage II drivers (Windows 9x):

http://support.ati.com/drivers/win98/win98_4102420.html

I can't recall if there is any setting for enabling/disabling fog-tables (in the Display control panel's ATI tabs). If not, then it may require a registry hack to disable.

If there isn't fog in the scenario/QB, then something appears wrong here. While you won't get great 3D performance from a Rage II it should still work in CM and provide some 3D support.

Just an FYI about ATI video chips - they are incapable of displaying fog effects (fog-tables) for CM in DirectX. Everything from the earliest 3D chips to the latest Radeons suffer this problem. I don't know when ATI will fully support fog-tables to the extent that CM uses them, but it may not come any time soon (and the Radeons would probably be the only ones to see this update if it ever comes). So if full effects compatibility is an issue for you, then you may want to consider another brand. If this video chip is built into the motherboard, then often installing another video card (PCI or AGP, depending on what's available) may either disable it or make it become the secondary display (in Win98 and later).

Despite not seeing fog in a scenario, it is still in effect for game play purposes (line of sight limitations, etc.).

[ 08-12-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Let's all chant after me....

"ATI cards are really ****ty!

Second of all, if you have a 1.2GHz Athlon and you're running a PCI card, you're bottlenecking your computer. Geez, my old Celeron 433 had an AGP slot.

My new 1.2GHz board has a AGP Pro slot along with a 64MB Geforce 2 GTS Pro in it.

[ 08-19-2001: Message edited by: Maximus ]