Palin: Iraq war 'a task that is from God'

FAI

Just found this. Am I the only one who finds her reasoning for Iraq war a bit.. disturbing? To carry out God's plan?

By GENE JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin told ministry students at her former church that the United States sent troops to fight in the Iraq war on a "task that is from God."

In an address last June, the Republican vice presidential candidate also urged ministry students to pray for a plan to build a $30 billion natural gas pipeline in the state, calling it "God's will."

Palin asked the students to pray for the troops in Iraq, and noted that her eldest son, Track, was expected to be deployed there.

"Our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God," she said. "That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that plan is God's plan."

A video of the speech was posted at the Wasilla Assembly of God's Web site before finding its way on to other sites on the Internet.

Palin told graduating students of the church's School of Ministry, "What I need to do is strike a deal with you guys." As they preached the love of Jesus throughout Alaska, she said, she'd work to implement God's will from the governor's office, including creating jobs by building a pipeline to bring North Slope natural gas to North American markets.

"God's will has to be done in unifying people and companies to get that gas line built, so pray for that," she said.

"I can do my job there in developing our natural resources and doing things like getting the roads paved and making sure our troopers have their cop cars and their uniforms and their guns, and making sure our public schools are funded," she added. "But really all of that stuff doesn't do any good if the people of Alaska's heart isn't right with God."

Palin attended the evangelical church from the time she was a teenager until 2002, the church said in a statement posted on its Web site. She has continued to attend special conferences and meetings there. Religious conservatives have welcomed her selection as John McCain's running mate.

The Assemblies of God, which claims nearly 3 million members, is one of the biggest Pentecostal groups in the U.S. Unlike most other Christians — including most evangelicals — Pentecostals believe in "baptism in the Holy Spirit." That can manifest itself through speaking in tongues, modern-day prophesy and faith healing. The Assemblies of God teaches that spirit baptism must be accompanied by speaking in tongues. Still, some churchgoers never have the experience.

Rob Boston, a spokesman for Americans United for Separation of Church and State, lamented Palin's comments.

"I miss the days when pastors delivered sermons and politicians delivered political speeches," he said. "The United States is increasingly diverse religiously. The job of a president is to unify all those different people and bring them together around policy goals, not to act as a kind of national pastor and bring people to God."

The section of the church's Web site where videos of past sermons were posted was shut down Wednesday, and a message was posted saying that the site "was never intended to handle the traffic it has received in the last few days."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080904/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_palin_iraq_war

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

D Day Order Of Battle speech by Dwight Eisenhower

June 6th 1944

Gen. D. Eisenhower

“I’m tired of these soldiers having to fight mud and flood as well as Germans. See if we can’t get God to work on our side.”

Gen. G. S. Patton

And so, in the fullness of God's time, when victory is won, the people of the United States will once more be afforded the opportunity to play their part in the determination of the kind of world in which they will live.

President F. Roosevelt

And I can go on and on all the way back to R. E. Lee and George Washington. So is the point that her views are unique? That they are wrong in her convictions? Were the other quotes provided also "disturbing"?

"Lord—Protect my family and me. Forgive me my sins, and help me guard against pride and despair. Give me the wisdom to do what is right and just. And make me an instrument of your will." Barrack Obama

There are plenty more of Obama’s prayers and religious speeches available if anyone is interested in looking them up, oh never mind, this is about right wing prayers, forgot, sorry.

Just to be picky, there is a bit of a difference between Ike beseeching God's help (ie. not a given), Roosevelt using a religious phrase, Obama praying and then someone saying that she is privy to God's plans and they include a gas pipeline and war in Iraq.

But overall, left or right, the rest of the world looks at America's poltical and military religous zealotry and shudders.

Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land!

MLK

Does either Sarah Palin or MLK know "God's will" more so than one another?

But overall, left or right, the rest of the world looks at America's poltical and military religous zealotry and shudders.

You are so right! I wonder how many embassies we'll burn down when the political cartoons hit the papers tomorrow.

Mord.

P.S. Which way to the Danish Embassy?

So what? Those candy asses are not going to do a damn thing to help themselves unless we do it for them anyway.

That kind of attitude, IMO, is not going to make the US a very popular Saviour. Reminds me of the last time democracy was exported by the wings of Tomahawks.

By Mord

Addendum...only about 56% of us has any zealotry for the military...we like to think of it as respect and gratitude though.

If even 1% of those zelots are also religious zelots in positions to dictate national policies then it means that we should not be surprised if at some point there is a return to the Age of Crusades.

Quote:

By GENE JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer

blahblahblah

"Our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God," she said. "That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that plan is God's plan."

She hit the nail on the head there - you're praying for a plan.

Help. Great stuff to inspire the troops with.:P

From someone who might have a part in shaping America's future foreign policy, that's downright scary.

Given that McCain - if elected - would be the US's oldest Prez ever, there is a better than even chance that she'd be doing a darn sight more than just shaping US foreign policy ...

If even 1% of those zelots are also religious zelots in positions to dictate national policies then it means that we should not be surprised if at some point there is a return to the Age of Crusades.

You need new material.

Mord.