Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Will nVidia Big Bang II help rendering?

c3k

Gents,

Supposedly nVidia will be releasing a series 180 driver soon, called "Big Bang II". Among other items it will include support for OpenGL 3.0. Will that have an effect on CMx2? If nothing else, it may allow modern hardware to better support older versions of OpenGL.

I'd like to think it'll bring improvements...that way I can see my recalcitrant M249 gunner in even better detail!

Thoughts?

Ken

Gents,

Supposedly nVidia will be releasing a series 180 driver soon, called "Big Bang II". Among other items it will include support for OpenGL 3.0. Will that have an effect on CMx2? If nothing else, it may allow modern hardware to better support older versions of OpenGL.

I'd like to think it'll bring improvements...that way I can see my recalcitrant M249 gunner in even better detail!

Thoughts?

Ken

Wouldn't that effect CMx1 more so than CMx2, no? Since doesn't CMx1 use OpenGL?

Hmmm, I thought CMx2 also used OpenGL. Am I mistaken? I am convinced that DX is out, due to licensing fees.

My thought, based on CMx2 using OpenGL, was that Nvidia may have finally optimized newer hardware to render older OpenGL codes, as well as releasing/supporting a new OpenGL version.

Ken

CMx2 is OpenGL, which has actually been one of the problems in terms of poor video driver support. The usual answer to people saying "my x, y, and z games work fine, but CM:SF works like crap" often came down to finding out that x, y, and z games were all DirectX. Drivers have been focused on DirectX and any developer big enough to be able to get special attention. Just look at the release notes where they list specific features for specific games that are working or working better. It underscores how "twitchy" their support for DX and OpenGL is when you see such specific things in release notes :(

In our books, anything that ATI or nVidia do to better support OpenGL the better.

As for CMx1, I'm pretty sure it was DirectX for Windows. As all Mac guys know the Mac version was RAVE, thanks to Apple telling us that they would support it forever just before they dumped it :(

Steve