Decision Events

Wanted to start this thread, because I think that the decision events are not really used to their full capacity. As far as I can see, there are far too less decision events in the WWII scenarios. Usually there are only the "Ribbentrop-Molotov-pact", the "create Vichy" and the "US sends troops to liberate UK" events. (I know, there are a few others, like the "UK poison gas", the "annex Czechoslovakia?" or the "Altmark incident").

Apart from the question, if the existing events are fun or make sense, what bothers me is, that most of the events take place in the beginning of the game. What I like to see are events throughout the game. There should be events until the end of game.

So any suggestions for events that would add to the diversity of the game? What about new decisions for Stalin, Hitler, Mussolini, Churchill or Roosevelt/Truman? What about pre-war decisions (concerning Spain, Hess, Chamberlain appeasement etc.)? Or a decision concerning german politics against the jews?

I am also open for suggestions concerning decision events for my global conflict scenario, especially decision events for the japanese or US. For instance what if Pearl Harbour was made a decision event?

Samichlaus

Both the new decision events and global variables offer many possibilities. If you read my AI articles at Wargamer.com, I mentioned how I used the decision events to help script US deployments to North Africa. The logic got very complicated between whether Morocco and/or Algeria was Allied/Free French or not, which determined whether US would send amphibious invasion force(s) or fast transports. Also, whether Gibraltar was Axis controlled or not determined if US would deploy to Algeria or pump everything through Morocco. This stuff drove me nuts with SC2-WAW, particularly once status chnaged; eg, amphibious invade Algeria but once liberated AI would then send transports and then too many units were in North Africa and not enough in England for D-Day, etc. In PDE using decision events, I was able to "lock in" courses of action for the AI and resolved the problems I was having. (I think.) For land loops, I used these to help the AI "teleport" units inadvertently stuck on islands. This is a bit easier than having contingency transport scripts.

I agree that more innovation is needed. Modders should continue to experiment with new ideas and let Hubert and others know what works.

Excellent idea Sam.Imho the more historical relevent politics involved the better.It would make the game much more interesting.I guess from a programers point of view(which I am clueless)it would be alot of work since each political decision could have major impacts on other possibilties.

Both the new decision events and global variables offer many possibilities. If you read my AI articles at Wargamer.com, I mentioned how I used the decision events to help script US deployments to North Africa.

I agree that more innovation is needed. Modders should continue to experiment with new ideas and let Hubert and others know what works.

Thanks, read your article and studied your decision events in your A3R mod (congrats by the way). The decision events can be used to improve the AI behaviour tremendously, but it's a hell of a work. I certainly will try to include your events for the AI in further projects.

The Decision Event script module is great. Although they have limitations (what other piece of code does not) they are a first in gaming (at least for me).

Yes, the suggestions are good – they give the developers information for their next evolution of the decision events.

The issue presented that Decision Event script creation is complex, and just plain script writing in general is complicated, is something I agree with. I found two things that have helped me tremendously. One is to map out, or draw a flow chart, of the event to include supporting scripts. Plan before you write the script. Two, practice. I have gotten so much better since I first started.

I do have a recommendation. A graphical user interface for scripting would be helpful. But, I can image that project taking a lot of time, and I am not sure it is cost effective. But, maybe a scripting GUI would help reach a broader customer base.

Great game, great script modules!

Robert

A graphical user interface for scripting, as well as a graphing program for planning and decision events etc., is something I have planned for some time, but as you guessed it, it would take quite a bit of time to implement and as other development needs take priority it is always left, unfortunately, by the wayside.

Either way, I'm glad to hear you guys are enjoying the tools and functionality as it stands now :)