Help finding book on German armored tactics

At some point in the last four months someone posted something about a book on the conduct of tank warfare by the Germans in WWII. The author is, I think, a retired German tanker (post WWII) who gave very extensive comments on what can be seen in the copious period photographs.

Unfortunately it's been a very hectic summer, and I can't for the life of me remember if the posting was in the CMAK, CMBB, or General Forum threads. And given the state of my attention span I can't even be sure if it was in this incarnation of the forum (I think it was) or from the one a couple of months back.

If anyone could help me out with this I would appreciate it. And I might even buy it (Amazon?) if I could only remember if I got around to buying Vassily Grossman's book first...

Phillipe,

Was it, by chance, "PANZER TACTICS German Small-Unit Armor Tactics in World War II," by Wolfgang Schneider? I believe someone mentioned that some time back, and I snatched up a copy from Amazon.com. I've yet to read it, as I've got so many on the list ahead of it, but I've looked at it quickly, and it looks like what you are asking about. There are a lot of really great photos too.

Heinrich505

Check out our Battlefront Bookshelf:

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=20&Itemid=26

Look up the Nafziger Collection books.

If that's not enough, there is a Bibliography for CMAK online with suggested reading:

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=49&Itemid=88

(There are similar book lists for other games, including the other CM games, as well)

Phillipe,

Was it, by chance, "PANZER TACTICS German Small-Unit Armor Tactics in World War II," by Wolfgang Schneider? I believe someone mentioned that some time back, and I snatched up a copy from Amazon.com. I've yet to read it, as I've got so many on the list ahead of it, but I've looked at it quickly, and it looks like what you are asking about. There are a lot of really great photos too.

Heinrich505

Many thanks. That was exactly the book. From what I could see from the excerpt it isn't very readable cover to cover, but it will make a good reference book. "Meeting with the enemy" isn't readable either, but it has lots of little (mostly unintentional) gems if you can wade through the stilted prose -- and it was worth owning in spite of the bad writing.