popping smoke

I can't pop smoke with a vehicle with the Way Point highlighted. So I have to "de-highlight it then hit the smoke button. This is a bit irritating since the vehicle pops smoke at start and then again at the (often) unloading point. It feels like I'm doing something wrong. But what?

This seems a similar thing to what I've recently noticed.From memory it used to show the purple smoke line at the waypoint? However also what I've noticed is that if I click on the waypoint then choose Pop Smoke, whilst the purple line doesn't show up, the unit in question does however pop smoke at that point. Though I've a feeling it's a bit hit and miss. Can't try it at the moment though but will try and remember to check it out soon.

As missinginreality indicated, popping smoke at any given waypoint is possible, it's just that the purpler marker won't show up. But so long as the vehicle is actually capable and willing to pop smoke when it reaches the waypoint, it should do so. I only play PBEM and I utilize this function quite frequently.

On a related note, I don't seem to be able to target from a waypoint unless the target is visible from my current location. Is that how it's supposed to work?

I believe that it works as intended, the justification being, how is a unit supposed to target something it can't see yet? I believe, however, that area targeting from a waypoint will work if the unit doesn't have LOS prior to the waypoint.

edit: actually, thinking about it, what I wrote above makes no sense, since if you can assign a unit an enemy target, then it must be able to see it in the first place. So disregard what I said, I'm not sure how this works.

• 1 month later...