Theatre of War 2: North Africa 1943 Announced

crazyman56

HORROR! Never going to buy this game!

You guys on battlefront should hire the graphic maker and make a new CMx2 WWII game. C1 can't make good games anymore. ToW isn't working... very nice graphics but thats all.

MAKE A NEW WWII CMx2 with that graphic instead. Almost everyone I know that play CM wants a new better WWII CM.

If you start sell games that are really bad you going to lose your reputation as a good company.

Tell C1 that they should finnish ToW before they give us another crap game.

Jonas

And don't delete this post will ya? We are in the rights as living in democratic world to tell what you think right? Fix TOW bf release a new one! You lose the core gamers Battlefront.

I agree Mr Gnasher! ;)

The major miss (except playable mortars) in the unit list is the main and only u.s antitank gun in Tunisian theater, the 37mm! Apart from that, regarding Panzer III, after El Alemein, only PIII L (and PanzerIII N) were available in Afrika. But I think that the given list isn't exhaustive because I don't see many american fighters (even if some u.s squadrons were equiped with Spitfires).

BTW C1 doesn't know much about WWII it seems. Why let them produce a game with Battlefront is the question. I think it's the word MONEY that just talks here now.

Pike, we don't delete threads here, with only a couple of rare exceptions (where it happened due to excessively abusive contents which we didn't want to leave visible). Your opinion is just that, your opinion, and these are discussion forums, for people like you as much as for others. The only thing to watch out for, and this is a piece of well meant advice, is to remain constructive. Just bashing something will earn you infractions sooner or later. There are enough people around here who have a different opinion than you, and as long as you allow them to voice theirs as loudly as yours, we'll all get along. :)

I'll skip this one.

Found that I don't like the TOW infantry AI and management. I miss randomness, too. Also would have liked more additions to the existing game (french 25mm AT gun, russian Armored cars, british lorries, yaddayaddayadda) but I can see that this is harder to sell than a new theatre with new graphics. And, speaking of the theatre I'd rather like the 41-42 western desert campaigns with sweeping tank attacks and manoevre instead of micromanagement.

Nevertheless this looks fine and I wish good luck for 1C and Battlefront.

I agree that a patch release that would allow ToW owners to at least mod enter-able buildings would be greatly appreciated.

The desert isn't my thing, but I did like ToW despite a few frustrations. It also seems like an odd choice for featuring new infantry mechanics with the bare open areas we see in the screen shots. I'll probably pick it up after hearing some initial reactions, though.

TOW for me was a great let down, i don't have faith that they can fix the issues that i had/have with the game. Although a beautiful looking game with some very great features i will not be going down this road again.

I think TOW could be the wave of the future in regards to graphics and hit animations and the like, but i think the game a lot of us are waiting for is either not truly realized, or that technology hasn't caught up yet. CMSF i think would have been a more appropriate first step to next gen tactical combat simulation instead of building TOW before its time was due. But thats just my opinion.

Fighting inside of buildings is a high point though, good job on that aspect.

CMSF i think would have been a more appropriate first step to next gen tactical combat simulation instead of building TOW before its time was due.

TOW and CM are made by two different developers in two different countries. Even if they wern't, not everyone likes turn based games.

Sure I'll pick this game up. Had lots of fun with TOW. Heck I can see me upgrading just to accomodate this game.

But plan to make TOW 3 in the Medriatic. Every one does West front, East front and Africa. The Medriatic battles of Italy, Greece, Yugoslavia, Sicily, Crete never get coverage.

I'll hold my options open for the demo but, the number of units seems less than TOW 1 and still no mention of on map mortar teams. I had hoped for a expansion vs a stand alone game so number of units, and maps would be increased with each new release.

Will Tow2 include a quick battle generator?

Will maps and/or units from Tow be usable in Tow2?

The unit list is of course shorter (one operation vs entire war in ToW1), but in general there are more units in each battle simultaneously. BTW, i'd highly recommend Core 2 Duo or similar CPU, old P4 or similar processors will be really pushed to their limit. Most visual improvements mean GPU usage, but fundamental systems like ballistics, pathfinding and such are CPU-hungry and there is little what can be done, although we did our best in optimization.

I was looking at the features and was worried that ToW2 is a bit light in the mission and unit department, especially compared to ToW1's 49 missions and huge unit list. Only 15 missions and 50 units, seems like this would be better as an addon. Except the engine/game play changes make it impossible to integrate it onto ToW1. Can we expect the mission/unit/army list to be expanded later on?

Maybe I'm wrong, but from the features page I can see no Italian army unit is present in TOW2.

That's a real pity. In North Africa, WWII was fought mainly by Commonwealth, Italy and Germany. Counting out the Italians, IMHO, the potentiality of the game are drastically reduced.

Maybe I'm wrong, but from the features page I can see no Italian army unit is present in TOW2.

That's a real pity. In North Africa, WWII was fought mainly by Commonwealth, Italy and Germany. Counting out the Italians, IMHO, the potentiality of the game are drastically reduced.

I agree that Italy should be in the Tunisia Campaign. But you are forgetting that the US was a big part of this particular campaign in N. Africa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunisian_Campaign

Yes, I know that in Tunisia the Italians actually didn't fight, while on the other side, it was the first involvement of US in the mediterranean theatre.

Calling the game "Tunisia 1943" the developers are authorised to count out the Italian Army in order to respect the historical accuracy. Nothing to say about it.

But Theatre of War has a fairly good replayability thanks to the editor (map and battle) and it is there where the Italians will miss, together with several other units (e.g. some earlier british tanks), because who creates new battles will probably be interested in reproducing events also outside Tunisia. Lybia, Egypt....

So what I am complaining about TOW2 is its too much narrow scope. It is not even a module of TOW but a brand new game, so I would have expected something more.

And hopefully, as well as a map editor, a converter so that we can create new objects and new units. Without this modding possibility, the scope of the game (as well as it's life expectancy, will be drastically reduced (so many units that we'll like to see are missing).

Well it looks pretty, but I've got some grave misigivings about the ability of this title to simulate urban combat. All the buildings depicted look like hovels, what about major engagements such as those fought at the town of Tobruk? I don't see any way this title could deal with that. I was very disappointed witht he way TOW simply overlooked this and it still looks like this follow up title is reluctant or unable to deal with the complexity of urban combat. I'll pass thanks.