Anybody got time for a few questions?

Derfel

Good.

I remember this place as very friendly, though it used to be a lot more crowded, didn't it?

Anyho; on occasion I run small LAN wargame tournaments for a bunch of old coots like myself, and having played CM into the ground and beyond I was thinking that DT might be the stuff to give the troops the next few times. I've tried the demo and it seems to run fine on our hardware. However before I fork out the enormus sum of 20 bucks or so I thought I'd put out these few questions:

1. How many installations can I make from one purchased copy (license or whatever you want to call it)? There's usually six or eight of us playing so its obviously of interest if I have to buy one or eight copies.

2. There used to be alot of talk about the enormous modding capabilities of DT, but a quick google doesn't exactly burst with modding sites or material. Are there good mods out there?

3. Anybody else run DT as a LAN game? If so I'd be delighted for any tips.

Pax Vobiscum,

Hey Derfel,

1- You can have 2 installs going at the same time iirc.

2- It's not the lack of mods, it's the lack of players. We sort of conglomerated everything into one big ubermod, Creature Zoo. Poesel71 ran his own server with Creature Zoo to go alongside the default server, but unfortunately he's not able to host that server anymore. There are a lot of mods, they're just all in one big file which isn't getting used these days.

3- I don't have much here as I haven't used it as a LAN game.

Good luck!

One important thing:

3- AFAIK all PCs in your LAN need to be connected to the internet for authentication.

1- You can install on 2 computers per license, but I´m not entirely sure that allows 2 different players to play. I have 2 PCs on at home, I can check this in about 10h from now if thats fast enough :)

2- creature zoo 7 was unstable when played online, it might be useful to also try creaturte zoo 6.

Good luck! and please share your experience with the LAN here!

Can you have more than one mod running at a time? I have a few now and some are changes to already available stuff. Do I post those files in the CZ7 file instead of a named folder beside CZ7? Oh, and please take a look at the modding forum someone.

I would love to make maps but it tells me that DT is not installed or needs to be installed when I try to run the scenario editor.

Just put those mods in the CZ7 folder to run them with Creature Zoo.

As to making your own maps, you don't need the scenario editor. Some of the best maps, by Nexus, were made without even touching it. If you want to get the editor working, good luck but I don't run DT on Windows. If you want to know how to make maps w/o the editor, we'd be happy to help.

I did a small LAN testrun.

The setup is as follows:

2 PCS behind a router. I ran the a basic vanilla dedicated server (on Linux in this case, but that should be irrelevant) on 1 PC as described in the manual. I joined the server from the other PC by using the direct join key or whatever its called (not from the server list) and entering the LAN IP address (somethink like 192.168.1.somefink) of the server PC. I experienced one server crash (segmentation fault), but after restarting it was stable. Pretty easy, huh? :)

That's awesome jby! Not that I've every had any need to play DT on a LAN, but it's great to know it works.

Marneus, the best resource for creating scenarios is probably

http://tbgsoftware.com/CreatingScenarios.pdf

which can be found here:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=78165

The PDF is a guide by one of the devs to creating scenarios. Basically, you make a heightmap in black and white, a texturemap to go over it, and a RGB detail map which applies textures specified in the scenario xml file, which you need to write. The specifics are in the PDF. It takes a while to get the hang of, but once you do it's a great thing to try. Good luck!

notepad works fine.

quickest possible scenario making guide (windows):

1- create and edit a heightmap using terragen(free) (the map has to be 253x253 or 513 x 513). Larger files are possible, but will be real hardware hogs.

export as intel 16bit .raw file

2- create a base texture. my fast and dirty trick: open the raw file with irfanview (with addons installed ->all free), expand and save as a 2048x2048 .jpg file

3- rename an existing scenario, replace the heightmap and base texture with yours and play around with that. This way there´s no need to make your own skybox textures etc. while you figure out all the other stuff.

The whole mask business for roads etc.is over my head.

OK, I took Haven and modified it to give me a base to work from. I used terragen to make a world. Then exported it as a .raw and created a texture file. It took me a few hours to work out the masks but I got it sorted out eventually. I find using the paint can tool to spray and blend the edges makes a nice map.

So I now have a completley different world on which to play. Problem is it's the same gametypes as in Haven and the bases are in the same places and there are no trees.

The next questions I have is a) How do I place trees and rocks and B) how do I know where the buildings are going to be if I move there postion?

To a & b-

You place trees & rocks in the scenario file, check the PDF for more. You have to enter exact coordinates in game length for all the objects.

This is where I assume the scen. editor would be useful, as you have to start DT to see where things are in your map. What I do is take the dimensions of the map in game length, then use the lines on the tacmap to get rough estimates of distance.