BTS: Porting CM to Linux

Regarding the suggested port to Mac OpenGL, have you considered porting CM ( or any of its descendants ) to Linux using OpenGL as well? I know this matter has been brought up before, but I would just like to voice my support for it.

I know that commercial Linux gaming is still in it's infancy, but the operating system, and it's user base really is growing quite fast. Isn't the OpenGL standard common to both MacOS and Linux, or at least supported by both?

According to this article on CNN's site:

"...(International Data Corporation) IDC estimates that Linux commercial shipments will increase at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 25 percent from 1999 through 2003, compared with a 10 percent CAGR for all other client operating environments combined, and a 12 percent CAGR for all other server operating environments combined..." -http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9904/02/linuxgrow.ent.idg/

If you're going to develope CM 2 through 4 over the next couple of years, it might be a good idea to weigh the merits of supporting Linux too! Games are the only reason I have Windows even installed on my machine...

This is just my humble ( and slightly biased wink.gif opinion ), but I would like to know what BTS' latest position on this matter is.

Thanks for your time.

[This message has been edited by Cowaring Traitor (edited 08-12-2000).]

I thought the purpose for Lunix was some what similar to that of Windows NT.

That is, primarily used for buisness and security purposes. Where as windows 9X is directed for multimedia and home use.

Maybe trying to get BTS to make CM Lunix friendly, would be some what comparible to getting it to run on NT 4.0.....when I should be working, not playing games. biggrin.gif

It'd be nice, but quite frankly, its probably not worth it. Linux is a great server OS (and will be a great embedded OS), but lacks when it comes to non-techies using it for desktop work.

Besides, don't you know the rules? You're only allowed to support one alternative OS per games. :)

I actually think that this would be a great idea. Many software developers use Linux systems at work. If CM were ported to Linux then I'd be able to play at work which would undoubtedly make the day go by MUCH faster.

------------------

Upon the fields of friendly strife, are sown the seeds of Victory.

---Douglas McArthur