Photos of Our Recent Natural Disasters

I drove to Des Moines from Chicago on the day before they closed I80 (the major east-west interstate) to attend the disbanding ceremony of my old National Guard unit at Camp Dodge. At that point, the waters were just a foot or so from the roadway, and they hadn't closed it to traffic.

The Mississippi did not look bad, but it was clearly high. After crossing into Iowa, it started to look as though in places as if I was driving through a rice paddy, as I80 was the only dry piece of land for some distance. For those that have never been there, Iowa is not flat (like Illinois), but can be rather hilly in places.

On the way back home, I80 from Cedar rapids east was closed, as was I380 north. It was quite a detour to get home, as I had to take backroads north to Waterloo, then take US 20 back into Illinois.

Ironically, my former NG unit was deactivated on Saturday, and then the next day was activated under different colors for state service for flood duty.