New to Combat Mission, Got a old problem

Hi everyone

Just got into combat mission(BB), and I am trying to find a fix for the "old" (my new) yellow text on white background.

I tried all tricks from the trouble shooting guide from Battle front but nothing worked, but figured I try the walk around by editing the BMP files like what was suggested on the web site, but the link from Battlefront is not working..

can anyone post the instructions or email them to me?

Or would the 3 patches fix the problem? something I havent done yet.

Thanks

sorry for bringing up this old issue.

• 3 weeks later...
Here is the ATI patch for all three games (and I originally had the same problem).

Hey, thanks a lot for those, they fixed the problem, at least for me (see this thread).

Can you (or anyone else) tell me whether this fix interferes with PBEM games? I'm thinking it shouldn't since it's basically just a modded bmp which only affects my computer.

• 2 months later...

Alas! After getting a new computer and reinstalling CMBB, I've fallen victim to the Radeon white text block problem. And not even yellow text in it... :(

Tried the Radeon Mod txt fix, but that also had no effect. Installing older drivers works a bit - I can than paly on a low resolution. But hey, doing that every time I want to play is no option (for I want the correct driver for other programs). So does anyone have a solution to this?

Using Vista 32 bit, with a ATI Radeon HD3450 graphics card.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was having problem with running this marvellous game with my HD3870 until i updated mi computer with the new ATI drivers (now i have Catalyst 8.11), but i still have the unreadable text problem, the same problem that some of you are describing. But instead the ATI text fix is a good solution for battle map, it is not for the briefing.

Do you think mates, it is possible to mod it to another color that lend the game to show text both in combat and in the briefing?

Thank you for the fix!

After some testing, the problem is not the fix. It is a different problem, in some occasions i could repair it deleting the prefs file. But this is not a very sure method. Now i can play with readeble text, but with no briefings or text in buttons and quick battle sub-options. I hope this information could help someone as a clue to get to some solution to play one of the best tactical wargames (if not the best) in a computer with new ATI videocards.

And after still more testing, i could resolve the problem of the briefing with ALT+TAB. Sorry for this kind of spamming (3 messages in a row) but i hope this could help to other people in the same situation as me.

And, sorry for my bad english. I know i need a lot of practice. (geeeez)

Thanks for looking into this. It appears that the newest Catalyst drivers may have a 2D refresh problem with the static portions of the page (in combination with the earlier 'white' text problems).

I'm not sure if there are any settings within the Catalyst control center that could help with this. In the past enabling Antialiasing seemed to aggravate the text problem. So possibly disabling some of the settings related to it may help.

More than likely the Alt-Tab'ing out of CM and back in may be the method that works until ATI/AMD fix this issue (which unfortunately may take them a LONG time).

• 3 weeks later...

How does the alt-tab thing work?

I am running Vista with the Radeon 3400. I had to force on anti-aliasing and download the bmp zip to get this far. Battle map looks good, but the briefing screens are blank.

When I hit alt-tab, it switches between desktop and CMAK, but still no text. What is the trick here?

In my experience, that was the solution. I run the game and find that the text from briefings and other things (map editor, and the battle list has a problem at the beginning) do not show in the screen, i mean, you only see the game´s background, but not the text. I found that when i jump to desktop 'via' ALT+TAB or Windows key (from keyboard), and then, i switch again to the game, this text appears now as it should do. Now i must say which computer or O.S. i use. Pentium Quad 2.4, ATI HD3870 and Windows XP SP2.

I hope you can find a solution and continue playing this. (God!, i was almost a year without playing it because of the drivers)

Hmm, that is what I am doing. Doesn't work for me. I am running Vista (w/ radeon 3400)though, and the desktop resolution is different than the game resolution.

Seems like when antialiasing is forced on, I can't see the text. If it uses app defaults instead, I can see the text but the game crashes when it trys to load the 3d graphics.

I just can't seem to make it happy. Maybe I need to pick my game out with AA off, read the briefings, then quit. Turn AA on, try to select that same game and run :)

Any better ideas out there?

• 2 years later...