New Scenario: "Al-Uhbula District"

Thanks for the feedback Schmoly. Much appreciated.

I will take a look into those ATGMs more closely. While playtesting the scenario I got fired upon by ATGM missiles plenty of times but I couldn't pinpoint by which type. I assumed the minimum range for all the ATGMs wielded by red was 100 meters, 200 meters tops.

Cheers,

Ok, possible spoilers...

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

You have two AT-3 saggers and one AT-14 Kornet. The Kornet is really the only ATGM that can do damage on that map (weirdly enough I never saw any action from it during the game). The saggers have 500m minimum range, and the map is barely that.

The rpg29s are just fine.

Thanks again Schmoly.

I will modify it on the next few days and re-post a new version.

If you don't mind I would like to ask you a couple of questions:

1) From your post I have the impression that you took the market, held few (if any) losses, and probably blew the whack out of the uncons. It appears like it was a cakewalk for you. Do you think that the scenario lacks balance?

I ask you with humble admiration, because my lack of tactical skills never took me beyond a tactical victory. It would be great if you could comment on your tactics for this or any other MOUT scenario.

2) Balancing issues aside, I also have the impression from your post that my scenario lacks terribly in the entertainment side. I was totally expecting that :D . I wonder if at least you found the tactical situation realistic enough.

Cheers,

Just given this a go however didn't get a victory as I managed to by pass most of the enemy by moving down the road on the left and then moving into the market. Guess I'll have to try again and move through the centre of town to flush some more enemies out. If this is needed then perhaps changing some of the victory conditions might help. If the objective for example is to have Rte Cobra open then it might make more sense to have secure the buildings on the corner of the road and at the map edges. Had fun playing the scenario just annoyed I didnt bag the victory after I thought I'd acheived my objective tongue.gif

Chelco,

Heres how I went in:

(Focusing my forces almost exclusivly on the right flank).

Had the assault groups blow holes in the construction depot walls, got the M1A1 in, made a hole in the wall so I could see the rightmost road going up to the market, put smoke up with the tank, ran assault squads into the trench by the road and to the house on the right (blew a hole in the wall there too).

(A few Javelin teams stayed behind on the ridge near the starting location to engage any snipers or whatever popped their head up)

Drove the bradleys up to the construction depot.

Proceeded to exchange fire with the various uncon groups now exposing themselves to the assault groups. Established safe passageway for the abrams and a few bradleys to cover the road leading to the market (Used alot of smoke for that) . Engaged a lot of uncon in the street trying to seemingly relocate to the market or to the right side of the map. Had a few close encounters with uncons sitting behind walls.

Basically I was grinding my way down on that road, using the assaults groups on rooftops and the m1 and bradleys to blast whatever they could.

Got to the market, spotted an AT3 in the uppermost corner, realised it couldnt shoot.

Blasted a few rpg teams that was left, got the market cleared.

Textbook style approach. No real surprises except maybe the few uncons hiding behind walls.

I think I had about 8 dead and 16 other casaulties. No vehicles hit.

Its all about the angles really... if you can surprise bluefor with akward angles, like you did with the guys behind the walls, red would do better. However those angles can be countered with dropping smoke. When the smoke is present, bluefor can angle up their armour and settle their infantry to better fight when the smoke clears.

Realism wise its totally ok. Only thing that messed it up a bit was the large group of uncons relocating and being shot up in the process. In rl the dead bodies of their comrades would have scared them from trying the same approach again and again.... so a little AI plan problem there perhaps.

[ March 25, 2008, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: Schmoly War ]

Hi Darkmage,

Thanks for playing and for your feedback.

Let me try to explain what I wanted to portray in this scenario.

The "clear" tactical mission: "remove all enemy forces and eliminate organized resistance within an assigned area". Now this type of mission requires thorough recon, plenty of time for detailed planing and lots of firepower (not the case in this scenario). In certain cases the commander may modify this mission to achieve something less than "clear" and I did put that modifier in the briefing. The commander doesn't want to flush all resistance away (is that even possible with the given firepower?), just take the market (eliminate organized resistance) and attrit the enemy below certain level.

I have been thinking for a while about what order was best for this scenario (clear, reduce, seize?) but given the constrains we have in CMSF (moderate sized forces and urban maps) I settled for a "clear" with modifiers. I could be wrong.

The US player can get a total of 300 points: 100 for preservation of force, 100 for attrition of the enemy and 100 points for occupation of the market.

Maybe I should explain the victory conditions in the briefing.

Thanks,

Originally posted by Schmoly War:

Chelco,

Heres how I went in ...

Holy Schmoly!

You wargaming stud, there is likely nothing I could do to challenge ya ... ;) Maybe some vehicle-borne lasers. LOL. Kudos man.

Seriously, I appreciate your feedback.

One thing that you mention is placing infantry on rooftops. I get my troops destroyed in mass when I do so.

As for the AI doing silly things, I will probably remove that order. The TacAI is a bit problematic to deal with.

Cheers,

Schmoly, this video is so good in so many ways.

Lots of things I want to mention from it. Will do during the day (gotta go to work now).

Outstanding. Thanks!

:D I love the part when your troops spot the ATGM in the big open field west of the market, you click on the uncon's icon and your cursor goes directly to the unit's description (8:45). I almost can hear you saying "See? This unit can't fire at this range?" :D

Cheers,

Among other things, one issue that came into my mind with the video is how in your right wing you used the buildings as an avenue of approach. You went one block down the street by a combination of wall blasting and roof hoping.

It reminded me of this article: Streetfighting

Take a look at figure 8 (buildings as avenues of approach rather than obstacles).

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent wee fight - I'll give this one another go for sure. Great wee map and I enjoyed the tactical challenge.

My only comment is the time you have to complete this. I play in RT mostly so I found the 45 minutes pretty tight.

That aside it did keep me pressing on with my attack. Most of my casualties were clocked in the last ten minutes or so when I pushed just a bit too hard and fast and, well RPGs at short range really mess your day up!

Great scenario smile.gif

Cheers fur noo

George