AI Opfor Artillery

Oops! Misread your original post. You want AI artillery support for later in the game. Sorry, the game doesn't allow us to do that in spite of what the manual says. This is a bit of a sore point as it's been brought up on the main forum a couple of times since the New Year but it never got a response from BFC.

BTW, that thread was called 'AI Artillery - not WAD'

Might I humbly ask what the issue is? As in, why can't AI artillery drop mid-game? Surely if the AI can make reinforcement units appear at a designated point at a designated time it can do the same with artillery? Even if it's just a simple unloading of all they've got onto the painted support areas in order? I realise there needs to be an FO or similar in LOS but could this not be fudged in the same way that the opening bombardment just slaps down at a predesignated point on oopening surely the time could be changed to something user-definable?

I need to test this, but I am actually inclined to believe that it is possible for in game arty support for the AI (at least for Syria).

What you need to do is this:

- have a limited number of FOs, preferably one.

- place them out of LOS of the support zone.

- at the prescribed time (or a few minutes before), have them move into LOS of the support zone.

That should do it, but as I said, I havn't tested it.

Way, way back, before 1.03, I tried that experiment. You'd think that it would work from reading the manual but it doesn't. LOS plays NO part in the AI artillery routine. The only thing that affects it is the presence of a dedicated artillery spotter for the Syrian side. You'll find that it will all start firing around 25 seconds after the scenario starts even when NO red units have any LOS to any of the target zones.

Originally posted by Paper Tiger:

Way, way back, before 1.03, I tried that experiment. You'd think that it would work from reading the manual but it doesn't. LOS plays NO part in the AI artillery routine. The only thing that affects it is the presence of a dedicated artillery spotter for the Syrian side. You'll find that it will all start firing around 25 seconds after the scenario starts even when NO red units have any LOS to any of the target zones.

OK I'll trust you and save my time by not testing it again. LOS does seem to play some sort of role even for the US player though. I have a mission with several support zones for the US player some out of LOS at the start of the battle and some within LOS. Only the ones within LOS are ever targeted - I have always assumed that by the time the other zones are in LOS there is no ammo left.

Have you tried starting the mission with no spotter, and then having one arrive as a reinforcement?

BTW I am in complete agreement that this needs to be added/fixed, I'm just trying to find work-arounds until it is

No, please repeat it. I haven't played with Blue forces for at least three months now so it's possible something got changed with 1.05-1.07. I do have considerable experience with Syrian artillery AI spotting though.

I confess that when I started testing, I thought I was seeing that too. When the AI approached the village from point A, a particular artillery zone got hit first, when they approached from point B another did. But then, without changing anything, that stopped working and a completely different zone was attacked when they approached from point A or B. So I set up a special experiment.

When I first performed my test, it was with the US as the AI player so I was VERY careful to ensure that there was only ONE unit that had LOS to a particular set of artillery zones. He was set up in a far corner of the board with LOS to some artillery zones on the far side of the village. They had NEVER been targetted before by the AI so I thought this would be a good test.

Well, it didn't make any difference whatsoever. the same zones at the front of the village were targetted and the spotter had no LOS to those. I got the same result no matter where I placed my spotter, even when I made sure he had no LOS to ANY artillery zones either. It looks like it's completely arbitrary although I suspect that there might be a preference for the lower numbered artillery zones when the AI picks it's targets. But that really is 100% pure speculation.

I've also set it up with the Syrian side too. No artillery spotter = no AI artillery barrage. It doesn't matter if one appears as a reinforcement later, they get squat.

BFC are aware of the problems with the AI arty. Other things have taken priority as they were true game killers. Trust me, I am one of the most vocal about the need to fix this, you are not being ignored but it is a more complex fix than it seems to those of us at this end. It will get fixed though.