Highly Detailed Huge Scenarios

I was wondering if anyone was developing or planning to develop any huge (detailed) scenarios over 3km x 3km despite the current tendency for the game to devour your computer with maps like this. I decided to go ahead and have been working on mine for the last two weeks and am about 40% finished. Its taking forever due to the insane load times for just the scenario file itself, 3D viewing and the detail that is going into the map. Hopefully some of the lag and insane load times will diminish with patches and driver updates, or if all else fails, by the brute proccessing force of near future computer technology.

Here is a little synopsis of the current 3424m x 3424m scenario I'm currently working on.

Its based loosley on the Abu Ad Duhur airbase and surrounding land in Syria. Its meant to be a near future version with added recent military construction projects. The airbase is scaled correctly with 2500m runways with large open agricultural rural areas around it. Some cool real world intel about the base and area. This airbase is known to be a transport hub for a large variety of heavy weapons, scud missile parts and skilled personnel comming in from Iran. AT missiles and other weapons flown into this airport have been handed directly to Hezbullah. There also is a nearby joint Syrian/Iranian scud missile factory that partly owns and operates this airbase. The mission basic abreviated mission plan for Blue vs Red so far is... US Airstrikes avoid base due to possibe valuable intelligence materials on base. Syrian Air Force evacuates airbase at the beggining of the air war. Syrian Special forces and mixed regular Syrian ground forces dig in around the base in hopes of stalling the US in time for a complete evacuation of materials from the base and nearby scub assembly facility. Advancing US HBCT forces are tasked with taking the base and surrounding terrain and attack at dawn.

Sound interesting?

• 4 weeks later...

i abandomed my tiny 2-scenarios campain due to ammo problems, but i think iam steering into the next ammo problems. i am currently finished with a 1.1 km broad and 3.5 km deep map. its a valley, looks really nice i find.

its more a little operation packed in a scenario as you have much to do.

i fear the red troops in the attack will ran out of ammo by the half of it.

anyways, tomorrow i will place the defenders and look if i can add plausible moving units by AI plan, and than in some days maybe i will look for 1 or 2 testers here wich got some time to test a huge scenario.

i work on the map since 3 days, today i compleated the map(just the map, nothing else ;) ).

I'm working on my first map. 1km x 1km. Fictional location. Primarily rural landscape with farms, a wayside mosque and including the outskirts of a large town. It's fairly detailed though I'm yet to even approach the doodad proliferation stage. It's taken a few nights' effort so far.

The units involved are small. About a platoon and a half's worth of US forces.

There's a lot of detail to fill in a 1km x 1km map. I don't envy you guys with larger maps.

I am close to finishing the map itself. Mainly adjusting buildings (that's a lot of work in and of itself) and there are a few areas which seems a bit sparse to me. Anyway, when it's done I'm inclined to slice it up and make 2-3 missions. The first couple using smaller slices of the map and the finale using the entire map with a good sized force.

I'm heading interstate for several days but hope to have something up on CMMODs late next week.

[ October 18, 2007, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: Ricochet67 ]

well, i stumble from one problem into another. i abandomed my first playtest after 20 turns becouse it got too slugish, i even lowered my graphics settings but no help. i hope this damn nvidia bug thingy get helped somehow.

now i did a big and acually pretty interessting map to play and its "too big" it turns out. you just have a baon as blue, dont know, thats not so much if you see it on the map.

i have to see, i will tweak it as good as i can without playing it and than look for someone who can run it properly to play it smile.gif