Tell me your best attack tactic

1. It all depends on the situation you are confronted with. One size, never fits all.

2. Yes.

2. a. Its reasonable but some sacrifices have been made to make it popular. I keep plugging away though.

And before you ask, no I wont list what I think is "wrong" with it. Hopefully over time you'll see my list addressed as the patches come out.

[ March 28, 2008, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: gibsonm ]

Keep fishing. smile.gif

He asked me what I thought of it as a simulator, no doubt versus a game. There are quite a few issues that have been compromised to appeal to the public market but I see no point in listing them here as:

a. It might compromise efforts to get them included.

b. Drive the thread way OT as every man and his dog hijacks it.

This way you (and no doubt a couple of others too) can have their jibes and the guy can have his thread still.

[ March 29, 2008, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: gibsonm ]

All simulations have to make sacrifices, if for no other reason than limited development time. It's impossible, and I mean physically impossible, to make something that has no compromises (sacrifices) in it. Therefore, since we aren't capable of counteracting the forces of nature, all CM games (past, present, and future) will always have some sacrifices in them for one reason or another.

Having said that, we do strive to make improvements when possible/practical/desirable. The problem is that if everybody here picked a SINGLE thing to change/add/remove in CM:SF we'd probably have about 2 years worth of work ahead of us. And that would be after culling the really stupid suggestions :D

It is not in anybody's best interest to dwell on stuff like this. We don't make games to underscore the impossibility of simulating the real world in every detail, and I'm sure that people don't play games for that reason either.

Steve

My attack tactics

1. Identify by recon where the Haji are (mainly their AT and MG assets)

2. Position and suppress them while I flank them with assault element and get closer

3. Assault and occupy the enemy position

Keep your Javelins a little back, so they can cover your assault elements

There isn't a best tactic to put against a fight.

There are however ways to get through it without too much harm.

1/ have a situation awareness. recon and or good sight of the objective and of the troops being there if possible by drawing fire from them and registering their whereabouts.

2/ have a suppressing group and an assault group

3/ assault quickly and don't change your plan unless thing turn badly

4/ don't rest once you get to the objective

consolidate and go to ground if there is a possible arty barrage from the opposition to come and or a counter attack

5/ move your support close and or through the consolidated troops (over watching)to a possible advance position (that's called exploitation)if that is the intent of the brass

That's what I did. As Patton did, don't necessary do the things the book way but be aware that your support fire will do it the book way however. Be sure they can do it your way.

oooops! Hit the wrong key and that happened. Let's try again..

first, use Hunt movement orders to move cautiously towards suspected enemy positions.

second, once some enemy positions are revealed, bring up as much support as possible to attack those positions

third, fire at such targets until I get bored and then...

fourth, perform a frontal assault on these enemy positions, usually using Assault movement but occassionally Quick too.

fifth, watch in horror as my casualties mount up and I lose the scenario once again.

as a footnote, I used to love playing CMBB as the Russian side, especially with poor conscripts performing human wave assaults against fortified German positions. This tactic does't seem to have the same efficacy in the Modern era though.

Originally posted by gibsonm:

And before you ask, no I wont list what I think is "wrong" with it. Hopefully over time you'll see my list addressed as the patches come out.

Since we're talking about attacking someone..

Arty/mortar smoke? :rolleyes:

Or, heck, targetable smokes for grunts..

+Flank attack tends to turn into frontal attacks eventually as defender responses... I think frontal assaults are being used by today even (Desert Storm had few of the didn't it). Of course what are we discussing to be frontal assault, as i'm not sure about terms: Platoon might maybe just charge, not assault, unlike company or batallion. Yes?