14.5mm Gun on BTR 60

yes, but the last few posts where about BMP1 haveing the same problem in 1.08 as the BTR "had" befor.

at least i did a scenario with 35+ BMP1´s, as i wrote, for the player, and i couldnt remember a incident where a BMP 1 opened up on a house with enemys in it while testing it. it uses its coax but not 73mm main gun.

maybe i should have opened a new thread for it!?

hm, would that work if i attach a miniature scenario to it with just the "isolated" case!? like just infantry in building vs. 1 bmp + team to help the BMP spott!?

i cant think of a stock scenario where i could get a BMP 1 into such a situation without spending some considerable time.

• 3 weeks later...

na!?

its not so easy to make the behaviour show up that i saw in my scenario.

in isolated situations they "work", and i still puzzle what makes them fail in "normal" situations.

i got an idea and its not related to the BMP1 only, but i dont know if it could come from that.

Pandur, I think I can confirm seeing the problem you describe with BMP-1's. I think it has to due with the change in 'target' and 'target light' logic introduced in a recent patch. I believe that, originally, a target light order given to a BMP-1 would have it use the coax, while target would give it the choice between sagger and main gun. However, the new paradigm, in principle, should have target corresponding to the sagger, while target light refers to both the coax and main gun. At least, this is the case for Bardleys and BMP-2s, which will use their 25mm/30mm cannons if given a target light command, and will deploy both cannon and missile if given a target command. My guess is that when this logic was applied to the BMP-1, the missile was assigned to the target command, while the coax mg remained the target light weapon of choice, leaving the 75mm in limbo. I think this is so because I've noticed BMP-1 will only use its coax mg for target light. So, perhaps when the tacAI is choosing which weapon to use against infantry in buildings, it references it's target light assignment, and hence the 75mm is never used.

[ June 05, 2008, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: slug88 ]

Originally posted by Pandur:

hm, would that work if i attach a miniature scenario to it with just the "isolated" case!? like just infantry in building vs. 1 bmp + team to help the BMP spott!?

i cant think of a stock scenario where i could get a BMP 1 into such a situation without spending some considerable time.

Sure, that would work fine.

ok to come back to this one. all scenarios i made up to test out BMP1´s shooting on infantry in houses failed to demonstrate what i see a scenario i made. however that scenario is too big to use it as demonstration, or it would be the last resort.

so after thinking about what i see in this scenario i came to the idea that it possibly isnt a problem with the BMP1 shooting on inf in houses "itself" , but that the vehicle is just to slow to react to plenty of targets.

the effect i try to recreate, the effect i get in my scenario, seems to be that the vehicle in question has about 4 to 10 or more possible targets popping up at different angles(still in frontal 45°) and distances. and the vehicles keeps switching targets like wild, pepering some coax shots here, switching to the next, some coax shots there again and so on. it doesnt come that far to use the 73mm gun here. i think its overladen with targets and that why it keeps switching targets but not engageing "a" target.

thats my theory of what i see in this scenario becouse when i create a smale scale test scenario and the BMP1 locks on, on one of the 3 squads there are it starts to use the 73mm as if it would be the most normal thing to do :D

whats your take on that!? could that be a reason!?