Alah's Fist tactics as Blue

People not wanting any spoilers should close this thread, right now!

I am constantly asking myself what the best approach of Blue is in this scenario.

I am playing this via PBEM, but we decided to rush it to the end for the sake of loading v1.05.

Red has lots of forces, while Blue 'only' has 2 M1A1 squads and will get a Recon squad later on as reinforcements.

Blue has to occupy the Phase Line marked on the map, but being outnumbered, Blue has to think his moves through.

Red has several RPGs at his disposal, so getting too close to red might prove fatal for Blue.

The Red tanks, though, are no match for Blue and will be obliterated quite easily, many of them in early game.

I think the real threat for Blue here are the infantry forces of Red, most notably the missile carrying troops. As a bonus, they can hide in the mountain range on the left edge of the map (as seen from Blue).

What would be a good approach to this scenario for Blue as I get my ass handed to me every time while playing Blue against the Red AI.

I reckon distance is the friend here for Blue, because of their better hardware. Also, the higher the distance the higher the chance the incoming RPG won't do fatal damage.

But Blue has to get to the Line on the map. . .

• 1 month later...

Or you could play it a bit more like real life.

You have two Tank Platoons (not squads smile.gif ) and later a Stryker Platoon.

Because its open ground use "bounding overwatch".

This means one platoon stays where it is in the setup zone (but spread out to cover the whole area) and give them covered arcs to include all of the ground at the far end (including the large hill on the US left and the big feature at the far end of the map on the right hand side.

This provides you with a firm base (base of fire, one foot on the ground, whatever term you like).

Now give the other platoon covered arcs (they happily shoot on the move) and push them forward about halfway (or until red shoots at them). I suggest one each towards the top (not on the top) of the features on the left and right and the other two about the same distance forward but in the valley.

The moving platoon will move / hunt forward (wouldn't worry about fast) and either stop at the end of the move or stop because they are shooting.

Apart from the exposed vehicles in the middle of the red line, most of the first wave comes out of the dead ground beyond the feature on the left of the US position. The two tanks in the valley should be able to start hitting those and then you can support them with the two outer tanks on the hills (don't get too keen with the right hand hill because beyond that is red's 2nd deployment zone.

Once the lead Platoon is engaging targets bring the Platoon in the rear forward and they can support the fire fight.

The tanks on the two hills should be able to hunt over the crest and hit the first red position in the flank and then later the ones on the right can do the same thing to the 2nd wave coming in from there.

When the Strykers turn up I tend to send them to the hill on the US right to support the tanks there and use Javelin and AT-4 to clean up whatever is left of the red forces beyond that hill (the red forces on the US left should be destroyed by then).

Respect the red armour (i.e. don't turn side on or rush them) and things will work out OK.

The above is all based on WEGO, BTW.

With Elite in Realtime I lose not one single tank or men. Evntually its helps you, too.

Your advantage is the better Armor of the Tanks. Use the terrain in long range battles.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7457/alafiststratxe7.jpg

I split the tanks in 3 groups.

First take out the enemy tanks in the open in front of you. Then move 2 tanks the hill on the right. Position P2 - wait till the main force of the enemy want to attack, they usually get killed with hits in the flank before they even know where you are.

Now you have to wait till the APCs appear in the Pahse Line Charlie, take them out from the same Position, they have no chance to bail.

Then you can move to Position P3 and attack the garde Tanks from there. Now you can advance with the other group to P1 and attack them, too.

When you get the Stryker brigade, get one group with the javelin to the Observersation Point. Hunt the rest dwon.

[ January 25, 2008, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: Andro ]

Of course, it makes it a lot easier if none of the red's AT teams decide to fire.

Grrrr.

But as Yskonyn said, the game was spoiled because we both rushed it so that we could load a game with a new patch.

As we had done twice before already!

Rule number 1 when playing with recently released games and PBEM: don't be too ambitious.

Lol, well the Reds were just too scared of your command abilities, Sivodsi! smile.gif

You more or less paralyzed them with you gazing over their every action. Reds just fired fine under my command! tongue.gif

So, now that's public as well. . .

Hehe I hope you'll be able to get into 1.06 soon enough!