Hold fire

Sybma

The HIDE command works as hold fire. You will hear the soldier shouting "Hold your fire!" when you press it. Problem is it does not work while moving.

In this case what I would do is give a QUICK command close to the area where you will have LOS to the enemey and then SLOW and at the end of this waypoint the HIDE command. They will crawl and then hold fire once to the objective.

--

all of the things mentioned can work but i used them all and they dont have to, from what i gathered while playing.

units with a cover arc tend to not engage things outside of it, but they do once in a while. sometimes your happy bout it, sometimes you bite your ass becouse they where supposed to be "hidden".

hide has the downside that the first soldiers wich are ariving may shoot, while the others arive. only than, at the moment everyone is at the waypoint, they execute the hide command.

also you really press your luck as you are regulary spotted the moments you crawl over the top, than you see your team get shot for the rest of the turn if they dont break your cover arc order.

• 2 weeks later...

what i do is give them a "shift" cover arc... that usually works... basically what you do is use the cover arc command and press shift... that way you get a 360 degree cover arc wich can be really small... try that... it seems they keep that even when moving since its not a directional arc so they dont have to wait for the entire unit to be there...

Originally posted by Pandur:

hide has the downside that the first soldiers wich are ariving may shoot, while the others arive. only than, at the moment everyone is at the waypoint, they execute the hide command.

The curse of 1:1 represantation, eh? smile.gif

Does a (tiny) cover arc affect a units ability to spot things outside of it? The manual states that units with a cover arc will be very focused at the arc, that implies that the unit will be neglecting the space outside the cover (spotting wise). So if you give a unit a 360-shift-cover arc that has a 1m radius around the unit, would that mean the unit will only scan for targets inside this tiny arc? The example is a bit exaggerated but well...

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to restrict the arcs is very kludgy and takes a lot of micro in realtime. I've been wishing that units could be allowed to maintain "Hiding" status while Slow moving (i.e. crawling). This would allow infiltration with less micro, and the unit wouldn't engage anyone unless it lost Hide status for some reason (e.g. nearby enemy spots and starts shooting them).