Will small-arms friendly fire ever be in the game?

As I understand it, at the moment it is impossible to cause damage to your own men with infantry fire. This means things like spraying MG fire into a building whilst your own men assault into it is perfectly feasible. I would prefer it if there was some risk to your own side, as in real life, so you would be forced to cease fire once your men get inside.

Any chance of this making it into the game?

I've noticed it a few times and used it to my unwholesome advantage. It's something that is a little irritating, but has never been a major issue for me. I mean if you feel its really innaccurate, you can choose not to target areas where your troops are going.

Does FF apply from vehicle small arms? I know heavy guns and artillery and that FF still applies, but if I have an abrams target light and spray down an area, with infantry be affected?

Does it matter? I think so. One of the things I was really hoping for in CMx2 was a system that rewarded good real world tactics and punished poor real world tactics. In the most basic military engagement - the section assault - one half of the force lays down covering and suppressing fire whilst the other flanks the enemy and attacks from the side. The idea is for the manoeuvre element's line of attack to be at right angles to the fire-base element's line of fire. This is partly due to the effect it has on the enemy, but also due to the fact that it minimizes the risk of hitting friendlies in the manoeuvre element.

I realise this is nitpicking to some but it would certainly have been a welcome improvement over CMx1 had it made it into the game.

• 1 month later...

I have DEFINATELY had units fire at other friendlies when they have lost all contact and they have turned into a ?. This has happened several times for me in 1.05. Not played 1.06 enough to have noticed it yet but I doubt if it has been changed. I can't recall if it actually caused casualties though.

Regards, Darren

I haven't tested this since v1.06 but a while ago I set up two friendly squads in the editor and had them blast away at each other using area fire. Hand grenades, M203 grenades, AT-4s, rifle and M249 MG fire was all used and neither squad was even shaken. As far as I'm aware, friendly fire is "OFF" in CM:SF except for near-misses by HE projectiles.

I got a very good view of one of my M2-armed Strykers shooting one of it's disembarking infantry in the back when his v1.06 route-finding routine failed him. He took the short route around the front of the Stryker to go through a gate in a wall. Needless to say, he dropped dead in a very dramatic fashion, about 10 meters in front of the vehicle. No enemy were anywhere nearby, and I watched the round pass through him from an oblique viewing angle. Pure luck I was zoomed in that close at the time. (I had just gotten the game and was admiring the 3D modeling of the Stryker.) I still had the Stryker set to area-fire on the building, to suppress the bad guys who it turns out weren't there. The only bad guys were in a ditch behind the building, and had already been killed, but their earlier fire was why I was suppressing the building.

I have not seen infantry friendly fire but have seen it from air support as shown below:

The infantry squad that got hit by friendly fire from AH-64D Helicopters was outside the area targeted for air support.

Helicopter off-map launches rockets toward target area.

AHD-64IncomingFriendlyFire.jpg

Squad wiped out by friendly rockets.

AHD-64FriendlyFire2.jpg

Helicopter's view as it launches rocket attack and mistakenly takes out friendly squad.

AHD-64FriendlyFire.jpg

[ February 24, 2008, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: Chops ]