my BMP's not firing ATGM's

Well I see that very rarely, while enemy BMP's fire them all the time. I've read somewhere in other topic that BMP has to opened up to fire the ATGM. I tried that too. One time opened gunner buttoned up and started to fire 73mm.

Another thing I saw was BMP1 firing 73mm HE rounds into back of T64 at point blanc. He actually killed it after few rounds, but wouldn't it be faster to use HEAT?

Another question - does ATGM equipped version of BRDM have to be opened up to use missiles? Had some of them in a quick battle. They stood helplessly in front of enemey (the distance was about 500m, some targets a litte closer, other a little farther) and got killed without firing a shot.

No, the BRDM-AT fires its missiles from under armor. In fact, you'd better be buttoned because of missile propellant backblast as the missiles clear the vehicle. You might have to open to reload after firing the 4 to 6 missiles on the launch rail (number varies by missile type), but certainly not to fire.

[ October 01, 2007, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: JasonC ]

Originally posted by TOG:

Another thing I saw was BMP1 firing 73mm HE rounds into back of T64 at point blanc. He actually killed it after few rounds, but wouldn't it be faster to use HEAT?

I'm not sure that there actually is a 73mm HE round for the BMP. I know people say there is, but I've never seen or heard of it. If someone can tell me about such a round, I'd be genuinely interested to know. The RPG-7 never originally developed an HE round either. Why have two different types, to add to the confusion? It wasn't the Soviet way to do things.

BMP-1's 73mm cannon uses the similar ammo as SPG-9 recoilless rifle. The recoilless rifle uses OG-9W rounds (HE) and PG-9W (HEAT). BMP's 73mm 2A28 Grom cannon uses OG-15W (HE) and PG-15W (HEAT) rounds. At least according to Wikipedia.

Anyway in case of ATGM's probably range is the problem at least with AT-3 armed BMP's. The ones with AT-4's should have shorter minimum range I think (don't remember exactly).

Other thing is slamming HE shells into back of a tank, where probably HEAT would have some chance of penetrating. (HE actually destroyed the tank after about 3 hits, so HEAT probably could do it with first hit). I was playing v1.03 and I think the problem with firing HE shells at tanks by various vehicles was supposed to be solved. Didn't try v1.04 yet.

Actually I should post it in original thread about firing HE at tanks, but I couldn't find it.

Originally posted by TOG:

BMP-1's 73mm cannon uses the similar ammo as SPG-9 recoilless rifle. The recoilless rifle uses OG-9W rounds (HE) and PG-9W (HEAT). BMP's 73mm 2A28 Grom cannon uses OG-15W (HE) and PG-15W (HEAT) rounds. At least according to Wikipedia.

Ahhh.. Wikipedia.. so that must be correct!!!

Still puzzelled over this I went and got my Isby (John Kettler will sympathise!) and looked up the BMP-1 Main. Isby notes that the gun stadia is only set up for HEAT ammo. So unless the HE round as the exact same ballistic coefficent, the sighting system will be sub-optimal.

I last sat in a BMP-1 turret about 10 years ago, so I can't swear to this. I'd be very surprised to find any operational BMP-1 with both HEAT and HE.

• 3 weeks later...