FO and FSVs

Convenstional tactics for FO's in previous games was to use transports to get your FO into an elevated, isolated position and thats it. Or to a position with the best possible field of sight for your operational needs.

Reading the manual, FSV with its special equipment has a totally different role now. However, with the current maps, many of which are urban, any FO/FSV will have very limited LoS if they stay mounted.

So what is the best tactical option? When presented with a building that will give LoS to most of the map do you dismount? Or do you manuver your FO in your FSV to LoS to every point you want support dropped in.

How does the different type of support factor into your choices?

Just checked in the editor as I have wondered about this also. If the FO is in the FSV, his C2 panel shows he is using the vehicle's FBCB2 satellite link. If he is outside the vehicle, he doesn't get to use the FBCB2. Consequently I think you are supposed to use the FO to call in the artillery but he will call it in faster and more accurately from inside the FSV.

If memory serves, the game manual strongly encourages selecting a FIST or JTAC (for art/air respectively) in an FSV for best accuracy and speed.

OTOH... didn't one of the YTC training scenario briefings say to select the FSV itself, and not the FO? Might be remembering it wrong.

If your FIST or JTAC is carrying LLDR gear, and there's a location with very good LOS to areas that you really want to smash, from a reasonably safe distance... well, no LOS == no impact right now. 'tho the mission isn't canceled if you lose LOS to the target area.

One related bit that probably should be tested is whether multiple simultaneous targets impacts accuracy or speed. It would seem reasonable that they would -- at least, if they're not hitting essentially the same target.

I am doing that training mission now, and actually came here to ask that very question Soop so no worries.

Anyhow, the FO and FSV have different points of view, which I don't get. I thought a FO in a FSV, the CO was supposed to sit in the commanders seat and use their FBCB2. I used the FSV b/c it has better LoS.

And I guess thats the question,when a FO mounts a FSV, does the commander join the FSV and thats who you target with?

I asked this question awhile back and the answer I got was that if the FO is in the FSV you should always use the FSV to give the target order. I've had good results doing that, but I've never done a scientific test nor have any seen anything official from BFC.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had the same unsolved questions.

In order to call an artillery, mortars and or air assets fire support, the better choice should be :

- either the FO (JTAC) or the FSV ?

- The FO( outside the FSV ?

- The FSV choosen with the FO(JTAC) in or out ?

From the book, to be in the right track is the best choice.

However , the LOS is rarely the best, but from an hill slope or summit looking in the valley.

Then, the track is very quickly targeted and destroyed.No more observers, at best they are pretty shaken.

In suburban area, the track doesn't have a good LOS most of the time.

I move the FO(JTAC) to the roof or the top floor of a building and or house, in order to have a better LOS. The track stay put and serve only to get to a new location if necessary.

At night, I also use for the FO(JTAC),the target area keys to paint in yellow the area being seen and to be able to distinguish something, otherwise the monitor screen is rather dark.

By the way, have you find a way to modify the gamma as in CMX1 to 3 ? That was pretty handy for their nights fights.

-Fire support to a platoon in a fire fight-

Because,it is difficult to bring the FO(JTAC) in an OP near to the fight, have it installed and to wait 5 or 8 minutes (In R.T) for the suppression (At that time the platoon has moved forward and I have to cancel the fire support).

I use the HQ and platoons leader to call fire support, since they are closer to the fight and able to pin point the target with mortars, since they fire more quickly than the How 155mm.