Technicals

MiB

How am I supposed to use these things?

They have no armor and are everyone's favorite target, and I get far too many of them in any QB with uncon. Only (very limited) success I've had with them is catching squads while moving - but that really doesn't happen often enough to justify the number of them you get in QBs!

i found that the one where you can load troops into is the best you can get...but you nearly never get one of those :D

they act as taxis AND the passengers shoot from the vehicle.

so if you have some 4 or 5 guys with AK´s in the vehicle and manage to catch something in the open street when you can rush around a corner with it(someone should have spotted the target befor though), you can bring in much firepower verry fast...

in the open i just managed to kill AI technicals with my 12.7mm technicals. the recoilless stuff has a bad aim and is mostly knocked out by the MG technicals first.

i find the technicals quiet fun, and acually they are pretty resistent to small arms fire from 300m + distance i found. other than fun they arent of "much" use expect againse other technicals.

from the blue player pespective they are basicly fun targets to shoot up, not more.

• 2 weeks later...

IIRC Technicals aren't useful for anything in particular other than scaring the **** out of people completely untrained as soldiers, by swooping past, say, the house of someone you don't like much and loosing off a few shots.

They are of pretty limited actual military value, it's more that they can go very, very fast and plausibly kill you that makes them useful to forces that are interested in intimidating enemies - basically Toyotas nicked from the UN or bought from Chad, fitted with DshKs or whatever else easy to obtain by various groups that are pretty much mafias in Somalia etc.

Technicals are heavy weapon teams that go fast. You have to be sneaky with them. I try to set up ambushes, then run. Usually they die anyway, but if you get a couple of vehicles they're worth it. I've killed tanks with them. Once you kill all the enemy vehicles they're great for cleaning up enemy infantry.

My breakdown-

PK- Crappy. Use against infantry in open. Otherwise, hide until it's safe to come out.

DsHK- great against infantry in buildings and light vehicles. Can immobilize Strykers and BMPs.

SPG-9- awesome. Can kill anything from the right angle. Good against buildings.

For all of them, try to get the first shot. Shoot and run like hell. Reverse is your friend. They tend to spot very poorly outside their forward arc. Ammo is limited, but so is their life. Don't get too attached.

[ September 16, 2007, 05:01 AM: Message edited by: thelmia ]

You may want to be careful of calling Technicals useless.

The British Army has Land Rovers with .50 cals and 7.62mm MGs - called WMIKS

The US has armed Hummers.

If an enemy ever got it's act together, 100 Toyota Pick ups with ATGM's, MANPADS and HMGS, plus some simple VHF radio C2, could cause everyone a world of hurt.

It's all about training and doctrine. That's why it sucks to be Abdul Badguy, because he's got none!

[ September 16, 2007, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: RT North Dakota ]

MiB,

Technicals really made their mark in mobile warfare, not MOUT. See the Chad campaign. Their forte is the ability to get in quickly, hit hard, then leave swiftly. Best used against a relatively static foe, their mobility allows much larger weapons to be brought into a fight than infantry can usually do, creating a large firepower asymmetry on behalf of the side using them. The technical has been with us since the days of the L.R.D.G, the S.A.S., Popski's Private Army, the Forza Sahariana (?), and a bunch of others I've managed to forget to mention.

Sting and run. Never go to gun to gun unless cornered and forced to fight. Hit from multiple axes at once. Always have escape routes identified. Use your escape to spring nasty ambushes on your pursuers. Good luck!

Regards,

John Kettler

• 3 weeks later...

Saw an old "Mission Impossible" episode the other night and in it found the most remarkable technical I ever saw before. Would you believe an open Cushman sporting a Vickers atop a pipe pedestal in the back? Wouldn't be fast, but I'd imagine you could hide it just about anywhere and get through even the narrowest of streets and gaps, going where no other vehicle could. Fun to think about!

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by John Kettler:

the Forza Sahariana (?),

Italy used the Sahariana as a mobile weapon platform for incursions/raids/scouting during WW2, african front. It was equipped either with LMGs, anti-tank rifles and 20mm guns.

It was in use in Italian police for some years after the war.

Truly a great vehicle.