Unit Tact AI...?

i am at a loss here,

quite often in the hectic battle spanning the length of the entire map (not exactly wise i know) i notice that my units really lack the initiative to open fire on the enemy.

My tanks and strykers would just sit there watching the enemy infantry that is clearly within their machine gun reach... the same with my machine gunners... and will only fire when i give them explicit command to do so, why is that?

I've tried giving them the best vantage point and i know they can shoot the bastard because if i give them a manual order to do so they will fire on it and kill it, so am i missing something?

The same thing often happens with my units under fire, strykers... tanks... rifle squads... they would get peppered by hundreds of rounds with tracers but make absolutely no attempt to return fire... i don't get it.

Not to speak of the OpFor TacAI. In one mission (the one you get when you botch the airport mission), you drive through a valley with Syrian fortified positions on front and flanks. After taking out a pillbox on the left, for kicks I decided to send a recon humvee right up the hill over their trenches. Wanted to see how far it came. There was no return fire. Penetration with a humvee! I parked my hummer a few meters behind the trench and its defenders. My 2 recon dudes dismounted, went into the trench, and started killing until the ammo ran out! The Syrians didn't mind. Sadly they didn't throw hand grenades at the remaining Syrians, so they hopped into their vehicle and drove away into the night (again over the trench).

I got a Bradley with fresh 5.56 up there, let 4 soldiers dismount and finish the work. They then took a couple Javs and started killing in another trench from afar, while directing devastating anti-personnel arty barrages everywhere from the elevated position. War is easy. I enlist today! :D Well, then again the airport mission was an unmitigated disaster...