Wall breaching and vehicles...

So I applied the the new patch hoping this would be fixed but it's not. Ah well. I'm trying to take Ash Sammas in the second campaign mission you see, and the briefing says I can make a direct assault through the main gate (ha ha ha... no) or make my own breach (bingo). Naturally I'm trying to make my own breach. After blowing up a large section of the wall though with my Strykers the moment I try to send them in they stop, turn around, and in full view of every RPG in the city decide it would be better to drive to the main gate. Damn.

Is there some work around? This is keeping me from fighting this battle. As it stands the only way to do this one is to -make- the direct assault and probably soak up horrendous casualties in the process.

I had the same experiences with attempting to breach the wall, so I assaulted the main gate. You shouldn't have too much trouble getting through it. I got bogged down after that and did not win that scenario, but that was due to my poor skill and other difficulties that are to be encountered inside the airport grounds. The scenario seems to be very difficult.

In a later scenario the objective is almost completely enclosed in a wall. I breached it, and although i could not get a vehicle through, a dismounted squad made it. I later found a small gap in the wall that vehicles could pass through, but the wall-breach bug is - well - a bugger.

I agree totally Xavier, without the ability to go through breaches, the game is hardly playable IMHO. I was also hoping that the 1.02 patch would have addresed it.

I know the guys must be really busy but I've posted on this topic last week, and not had a response from the Battlefront team. Hopefully they've read it though and will be taking it on board for 1.03 or 1.04......

Cheers, Darren

Xavier, how exactly did you try sending your units through the gap? I used my MGS's to blast holes in the wall and had no trouble getting Strykers and infantry to go through.

One tip I would recommend is blasting at least a few sections of wall out and send your units through in move not anything like fast or quick.

Cool, first opportunity to help someone out with this game. My basic strategy for that mission was leapfrogging the infantry and Strykers.

For example with the main gate I lined the Strykers up 5 wide across about 100m, 300m from the gate and pounded the mg bunker and the houses with everything I had. Then I deployed the troops and had them each assault a separate building and get on the roof. By the time that is done your reinforcements should have arrived.

There is a big clearing right behind the main gate, with two rows of tall building forming an alley facing the barracks. This area is deadly, and I took most of my casualties here. What I did was use the same sort of tactics you would to expand a bridgehead. I put 4 Strykers from the reinforcements in a box formation in the clearing behind the main gate. I then assaulted the tall buildings to the left and directly behind the gate with all of my infantry.

From here the basic strategy is to move the Stykers into a position to cover the Infantries next assault, always prepping the site with liberal amounts of artillery.

Good luck. I thought it was a very well designed mission.

Prez,

When you make the holes do you get rubble where the wall used to be? I've found that if there's no rubble then they won't go through no matter what. If there's rubble it seems to go Ok.

Let me know as I've tested this loads of times and still can't get them through a gap no matter how wide it is or how slow they go!!

Cheers, Darren

I had the same problem. Blast a down wall and then your men don't realize there is a hole there. Ruined a whole strategy.

I also saw enemy tanks poke their cannons through a wall and shoot me. My return fire would just hit the wall. T-55s were killing M1's. Walls apparently will block fire but not cannon barrels or LOS.