RPG Effectivness

Just something ive observed, it appears rpg-7's are an extremly mixed bag, I managed to take out a striker at over 250 meters yet have failed multiple hits at close ranges. Im guessing that this is due to a trajectory difference between the ranges.

IE: the further out the stryker is the more chance of the shell going over the slat armour.

Anyone seen anything that might prove/dissprove this theory?

No, ive done know testing yet, but i will :D

It sounds reasonable to me, given BFC love for accurate balistics, that this would explain what ive seen so far. The point is that _I_ still only see things from one persons perspective, so what have YOU GUYS seen out there?

To my understandment RPG-7s has quite flat trajectory, if your thinking about top hits. And RPG-7 won't detonate in about less than 20 degrees impact, so it mostlikely would just deflect from top armor.

Then again RPG-7s effectivity isn't optimal from close distances. Might have something to do with grenade's fast speed: fuze doesn't manage to work in optimal distance of armor because of grenades speed. It shouldn't affect much: few inches is taken away from penetration if i remeber right. But maybe it's enough with slatarmor...

Infact i've noticed the same thing in CM:SF conserning this close/long range. My BMPs are bad from close ranges with their missiles and HEAT shells. Maybe slatarmor just breaks fuzing system better as grenade/missile is moving faster?

Then again AT-grenades of RPG-7 (heard only once about them) aren't affected by slatarmor... Are they using those in some special circumstances? I could think that those are used in closer distances (if they need speed to gain better penetration)

• 3 weeks later...

What is a good engagement range for an RPG-7 ? I am playing a PBEM and I wait for the opponent to come closer into the town I am defending. Currently I have good LOS to some of his BTRs about 150 to 200 meters away.

Are 150-200m too much distance for a regular antitank team to hit something effectively?

No, they hit pretty well at under 200 m. Over that and it's iffy. Wait for 150m if you want to be sure. On tanks you want a side shot if possible. On APCs and other targets it doesn't matter much. They are also great for shooting at occupied buildings.

I love the RPG. I wish the US had something remotely comparable. Great anti- tank, great anti- personnel, cheap, direct fire, and reliable.

In RL we got the SMAW. The AT4s in game are pretty weak.