I was wondering how to Use the IDE...

I tryed the First Mission on the Battles Section called "Abu Susah". I played the Syrian Two Times and Gave the US Troops a Headache. Beside the Fact that the TacAI is really bad in Attacking and Flanking Maneuvers (is there any Mission where they are Programmed better?) i couldnt use my IDEs.

I placed a Detonator Uni in Line of Sight to the IDE Place but they didnt blow up. How can i go make them BOOM Manually or do i always have to Choose a Target First?

3a8b3efac7.jpg

I had them Activated and used a Target Command on a Vehicle. But it didnt Explode maybe it wasnt Exploding because it wasnt driving right over it? The IDE was 2m away from that Stryker.

Is there no way to make a "Boom" Button to Blow them Manually?

Originally posted by Taki:

Is there no way to make a "Boom" Button to Blow them Manually?

I was going to crack a joke, but seeing as my brother-in-law is in Afghanistan right now, I'll bite my tongue.

Since IEDs (not to be confused with IUDs) can be triggered by cell phones, I do not see any reason why a specific person with line of site to the IED couldn't *trigger* the explosion - like spotting for artillery.

So u cant make them Boom with a Button right?

Got another Issue and im start getting anyoed the more i play. Started the Second Fight in the List as Syrian where i had to defend a Town.

The 5 Stryker with Inf started an i spot them Early. They had to attack but they didnt move a Single Meter. On Distance of 400m and Clear sight i ordered a AT3B Sagger to Attack the Stryker but it didnt do anything. I tryed to Move it in other Spot, Turn Direction of the Squad, put it back, Makeing Targetarea.. it all didnt work. D:

I have the Feeling that the Syrians are way more Bugged then the US-Troops are wich is making me sad.

This goes in the RTFM department. Here's the relevant section:

In order for an IED to detonate it must first be activated, otherwise it remains inert. To activate an IED, select it and choose the Target command from the Combat panel, then click on the map to arm it. If you want the IED to target the first unit that comes near it, click anywhere on the map. If you instead want to target a specific enemy unit, click on that unit and the IED will ignore other possible targets. You can re-designate the target at any time by repeating these steps.

Activation is not just a matter of specifying a target, however. For activation to occur the triggerman, at the time the Target command is used, must be in good shape (e.g. not panicked), have an undamaged trigger device in its inventory, be within the maximum range (and/or LOS if required) of the IED, and pass a reliability check. The reliability check determines if the IED itself, or the ability to detonate it, has failed. IEDs that malfunction can’t be made to detonate no matter what. If there is a change to one of these factors, such as the triggerman being eliminated, then the IED remains activated but will not detonate until all requirements are fulfilled again.

VBIEDs differ from IEDs mostly in terms of mobility. VBIEDs are driven by a suicide bomber with the intention to come close to an enemy unit and detonate the device. A VBIED team typically consists of one driver and one spy. The driver’s function is to drive the vehicle, select a target and trigger the explosion, while the spy is used to help the driver find possible targets from a safe position outside of the vehicle.

The VBIED automatically detonates once in proximity to the first enemy unit that comes near it. No activation is needed like for IEDs.

You can also select a specific target for the VBIED. In order to do this, select the VBIED, and choose the Target command. Next, click on the desired enemy unit to target. However, keep in mind that vehicles are generally viewed with suspicion so going after the first vehicle is generally the only practical thing to do. As long as the Target command remains active, the car will only detonate when the selected target unit comes into proximity. Other enemy units will cause no detonation. Targetting a specific unit allows you to let part of a column pass by and detonate the VBIED later. But keep in mind that this is increasing the chances of the enemy to spot you, as well.

Originally posted by Taki:

So u cant make them Boom with a Button right?

Got another Issue and im start getting anyoed the more i play. Started the Second Fight in the List as Syrian where i had to defend a Town.

The 5 Stryker with Inf started an i spot them Early. They had to attack but they didnt move a Single Meter. On Distance of 400m and Clear sight i ordered a AT3B Sagger to Attack the Stryker but it didnt do anything. I tryed to Move it in other Spot, Turn Direction of the Squad, put it back, Makeing Targetarea.. it all didnt work. D:

I have the Feeling that the Syrians are way more Bugged then the US-Troops are wich is making me sad.

Taki,

If you read the manual the specs on the AT-3B are a 500m minimum range, hence at 400m the target was too close for your AT team to be able to guide the missile. CMSF appears to have it hard programmed for the teams not to fire if the target is closer than about 500m out because they're going to miss it anyway.

In the German Manual it Says that on Less then 500m DIstance to Target the AT3B ROcket is not GUidable wich dont mean to me that u cant fire it and sent it unguided into Target. ;)

But if thats the Problem its okay to me. But it dont seems like. Other RPG29 Teams didnt Fire to on 398m with their Launchers. Some do some dont.

Originally posted by Skinnedpuppy:

Target from the IED itself NOT the spotter. However the Spotter must have LOS to the IED.

The IED will detontate itself when there is a target within range.

This worked for me with a medium and IED and a cell phone spotter, may work differently depending on what combination you are using

Here's the thing this, isn't in the game, but it is a real life situation. All current U.S. vehicles that go outside the wire here in Iraq have a device called a Duke which is specifically designed to jam trigger devices such as cell phones and remote phone base stations. BFC kind of dropped the ball on that one, unless the behavior you're describing is a simulation of the Duke system.

"IEDs that malfunction can’t be made to detonate no matter what"

Which is fine -- except how do you know? realistically, you wouldn't -- maybe -- I've never seen one so I don't know if there would be any feedback or not. But from a game perspective, it's frustrating when the IED simply doesn't work. And I don't trust the game enough yet because of other problems to just say "oh, it must have malfunctioned".

Is there some indication when a malfunction occurs that I'm missing? 'cause I've had a Stryker park on top of an IED that I targetted specifically at that vehicle for several turns and the IED never detonated. I just don't know why. And that's frustrating.

-- nick

• 1 month later...

I just played the same mission (Abu Susah), and had two Strykers park directly in front of an activated IED (not specific target) for ten minutes without it blowing up or saying "malfunctioned." Exactly what is supposed to be sufficient proximity to make them detonate?

As a side note, the victory conditions for this seem a bit weird for the Syrian side. I killed four Strykers (and all aboard) in returned for one killed and two wounded, and still got a minor defeat. What does it take for a total victory, the President showing up on the map and surrendering in person?

Of course I wouldn't have had so few casualties if the computer hadn't played the Americans incredibly stupidly. Or maybe all of its infantry were suffering from the bug where they refuse to move. ;)

Does this mean that when an IED's spotter has been killed the IED is rendered useless?

Also, the spotter while alive must have LOS to the IED correct?

Finally, if you target the ground anywhere near the IED does that detonate the IED? Thought I read that somewhere.

Cheers

Originally posted by GDog:

Does this mean that when an IED's spotter has been killed the IED is rendered useless?

Also, the spotter while alive must have LOS to the IED correct?

Finally, if you target the ground anywhere near the IED does that detonate the IED? Thought I read that somewhere.

Cheers

Mwuhahaha! My electronic intelligence gathering efforts have been successful... So maybe your IED gunner is now dead? Excellent...