Desert Combat Rules

Had to make one post in this fourm. I am someone who has an understanding of European combat (CMx1, Advanced Squad Leader) but I am not someone who understands desert combat. When I see a town, with trenches, and a see of red markers I start to wonder how long it would take a B-52 to just level the place so I can just keep rolling. But since we don't have B-52's and modren combat tries to avoid leveling cities, I have to ask: What is a commander to do when he sees a well defended town and NOTHING but between him and it? What are some guidelines that can work in this game?

What I like to do when attacking a town is this:

Put Strykers about 300m from the edge of the town and disembark my men. I creep one Stryker up to lure the fighters out of their cover, and when they open up on the vehicle, I basically unload hell on their known points.

I might call in some arty if I deem necessary.

After the firing has died down I load one squad up into a Stryker and make a mad dash for a nearby CLEAR building and make them rush in under smoke cover. I use the Stryker as fire support while they get in.

Once in they usually recieve a lot of incoming fire, so I make them hide and have the vehicles do all the firing. I will then eventually move my infantry from building to building. I rather not risk my vehilces to RPG threats.. for some reason I always lose them in one hit.. whole hella lot of good the slat armour does...

I was wondering about the RPG capability. Is it because the RPG-29 is so effective against reactive armor? I'm thinking that because the dual warhead does a good job against even reactive armor, slat armor might not do that well either. According to Wikipedia an RPG-29 KO'd a Challenger 2 frontally in Iraq.

I was going to suggest smoke but...

Like Dude said. Lots of supporting fire. Make the badguys keep their head down and then run your ICVs up as close as you can and force a foothold with your grunts.

If you time an HE barrage you can use it as both suppression and as a make shift smoke screen. 81mm are good for this using combo fire missions.