Infantry bug?

Whenever I stop my infantry units in mid-move (whether by backspacing, hitting the stop button, or whatever), they immediately make a quick-move for a few meters. Much of the time, it doesn't matter (other than being annoying), but when the men are under fire, it can be fatal. For example, I had a group of men crawling under fire and ordered them to stop as new threats appeared. The men stopped crawling, STOOD UP, AND RAN 5 METERS IN FULL VIEW OF THE ENEMY!

Needless to say, that squad got ravaged. Anyone else encountered this? Is it a bug?

Steve

I know exactly what you're talking about and I'm not sure what the "fix" is. I, too, want them to simply stop where they are and return fire, not regroup.

I guess you could try the button to the left of the "cancel orders" button. I think that's what I'll be trying next time.

Definitely falls into the "Look, the order came down to STOP WHERE YOU ARE, THERE ARE BAD THINGS OUT THERE" not "Hey, why don't you guys form up somewhere?" ;)

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Whenever I stop my infantry units in mid-move (whether by backspacing, hitting the stop button, or whatever), they immediately make a quick-move for a few meters. Much of the time, it doesn't matter (other than being annoying), but when the men are under fire, it can be fatal. For example, I had a group of men crawling under fire and ordered them to stop as new threats appeared. The men stopped crawling, STOOD UP, AND RAN 5 METERS IN FULL VIEW OF THE ENEMY!

Needless to say, that squad got ravaged. Anyone else encountered this? Is it a bug?

Steve

Hi, you probably clicked on the cancel orders and evade, its the last command in quick commands, just use the second one, it's just cancel orders.

br.

Dr.Jones

they need to get back to the next action spot, so everything can be computed from there.

verry annoying!

good thing is when you click the waypoint you can change the quick command to anything else(slow, fast,...).

but you have to get really picky about when you cancel a movement.

it can result in about 15m-20m "back to action spot" way in houses for example.

Originally posted by Dr.Jones:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Steve

Hi, you probably clicked on the cancel orders and evade, its the last command in quick commands, just use the second one, it's just cancel orders.

br.

Dr.Jones </font>

The reason is that things are based on a grid of sorts, and when their move order is cancelled the squad is left hanging between cells, so it regroups at the closest one. Seems like the current default for this is quick move, when it would be better with the order used before the move was cancelled.

Originally posted by Melnibone:

According to the manual (page 54) - infantry will halt at each waypoint for a short time and regroup. I suspect cancelling a move is the same as a final waypoint - they are regrouping.

That is a major problem, then. Suppose you are asking the men to freeze to avoid detection? Or because they are suddenly coming under fire? Why in the world would the troops stand up, run, and drop to regroup if doing so would either divulge the unit's position or unnecessarily expose the men to fire?

Steve

• 3 months later...
Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Steve

When you hit the cancel button command (or hit backspace repeatedly) also click on the pause button. The units should freeze in place and not get up and run to regroup.