Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Which DirX 8 version?

jclassey - for CM's purposes you probably won't get any true benefits from upgrading to DirectX 8 (the rendering quality and speed under CM remains pretty much the same from DirectX 7.x). If you're running other games that are very new, then there may be a benefit since they may patch to support certain DirectX 8 features.

To my knowledge there are no speed benefits (that I'm aware of) to upgrading from DirectX 7.x to 8. Some of the latest video card drivers are mentioning support for DirectX 8 and it would probably be good to idea to upgrade your DirectX version when you upgrade to one of these drivers with specific support for DirectX 8.

I can't recall if the latest NVidia reference drivers have any specific support for DirectX 8. I'd believe that some of the latest BETA Detonator 3s (6.xx or 7.xx) probably have support. I'd highly recommend staying away from the 7.xx Detonators for now since they have several DirectX problems. If you're using a manufacturer-specific driver I would suggest holding off upgrading DirectX until they release a newer version (many of the manufacturers are often several versions behind the reference drivers). There's always a chance that something unique to the manufacturer's driver may break with a new DirectX version.

Again, you probably won't see much of a difference under CM with the latest DirectX version. For those who are currently having problems it may be a little better in some regards for disabling certain video features. But other than that I believe most of the improvements are geared towards programmers developing DirectX apps.