2x Western Digital Raptor HDDs @ 10,000rpm RAID0

Samsung SynchMaster 2232gw 22" LCD 1680x1050 @ 60Hz refresh

Game at

vSynch: off

Model Quality: Balanced

Texture Quality: Fast

AA: Off

High Priority Process: On

When I first enter the stock campaign and go to click a unit, the game seems to freeze momentarily (less than a second) then as the game "unfreezes" the map terrain will redraw. This happens every time I select a different unit and it doesn't matter whether the units embarked, infantry, support, armor or APC.

I run at 1680x1050 native resolution and the game detects that just fine. I adjusted the resolution down and this had no effect on the hesitation. It is making the game difficult to play.

Any ideas?

Well... I did the one thing I hadn't. I set the ATI Compatibility option to ON. I hadn't needed to do that before. Now everything runs smoothly but the mouse isn't nearly as accurate in placing the movement or fire points.

[ February 06, 2008, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: KG_AGCent ]

go aheead an turn on "Vsync". that should get rid of the redrawing. i had that too verry much but after i turned Vsync on its to 98% gone(i have a nvidia card, though).

bout the slow performance. since you have an Core Duo look here...

(has just 3 posts)

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=000551

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=52;t=003722

to the bottom of the first page you see an picture that summs it up pretty much.

you can read from there to get whats going on.

in short you use both cores but just 50% of the possible power is used in total.

I had exactly the same problem using ATI 8.1 drivers and almost exactly the same setup as you (without the great monitor unfortunately!), and my problem went away when I rolled back to 7.11. In another thread ('ATI left click problem gone' I think) it was suggested that 8.1 drivers require the full uninstallation of previous drivers before they work, but as I'd already uninstalled 7.11 before installing 8.1 I think maybe it's our card that's not liking 8.1.

It shouldn't do, but I don't have CoD4. It didn't make a difference to Crysis or The Witcher though, so unless the 8.1 release notes specifically include a reference to fixing issues in CoD4, you should be OK. Either way, it's only a question of 5 minutes uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, so why ot give it a try.

I would suggest you check out MadMatt's advice in the thread I mentioned previously though - he seemed to get 8.1 working fine, but I haven't - you may be lucky though!

For what it's worth, I've got

AMD X2 4200+

2GB

Nvidia 7800GS

XP SP2

Finally decided to finish the stock campaign with 1.06, since it's been waiting for patch after patch.. Runs just fine until you hit the urban maps at the end of the campaign. Then it starts to crawl big way.

But only when lead is flying. When there's no firefights the performance is quite acceptable. Moreover, from the task manager graph, when shooting is going on the CPU load drops to 50% on both cores and framerates go to seconds per frame.

When there is no shooting both cores have high load and performance is just OK with no major slowdowns.

Makes me think if the problem is really fancy lighting effect or maybe audio. CPU load drop on heavy action at least seems to show there's something iffy going on.

For AMD you can get their "multi core optimizer" from their webpage that's supposed to "fix somefink" so that games that are not multicore aware do not choke. Timing issue, doesn't do affinity tricks.

I do have old X64 3000+ that I could plug in to try if it runs OK on single core. But frankly I'm too damn lazy to tear open my water cooling rig for that :rolleyes:

I finished the campaign and yes, the 2 Hims maps are sloooow.

The graphics detail level does absolutely nothing performance wise beyond "improved" or so, ditto for textures.

The problem exhibits when the simulation is running, when you pause the action it's quite smooth. Shooting makes things ridiculously slow. Just troops standing around is bad but less so.

And, yes, about 50% cpu load but it's more like 1 core has 75% and 2nd core has 25% load.. If you set CPU affinity to make CMSF run only on 1 core everything slows down a lot. Possibly because code is supposed to be multi-threaded now?