Anyone got Paradox game working with 1.06 patch?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by gunnergoz:

<init whine mode>

Now I'm really depressed, to hear that we have to wait on some big, glacially slow and probably indifferent corporate behemoth like Sony for the fix...I'd feel a lot better if I knew that it was something you guys were working on personally.

<exit whine mode>

My feelings exactly, which is why I have just bought and downloaded the Battlefront version.

Now, if the Paradox fix arrives in half an hour I'll feel a little stupid, but what the heck - I just got an unexpected day off (major power failure at work) and I'd rather feel stupid than bored, so, I showed them the money. :cool:

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Nothing much new to report other than Sony (the makers of SecuROM) were able to confirm and replicate the crash this morning. Now we just wait to see what they do to FIX it.

Madmatt

Wow ! SecuROM seems to have quite a history of causing trouble with games.

- Test Drive Unlimited

- Armed Assault

- S.T.A.L.K.E.R (EU ver.)

- Neverwinter Nights 2

- C&C 3: Tiberium Wars (patch 1.04)

- Tomb Raider Anniversary (demo and retail)

- Overlord

- Medieval 2 Total War: Kingdoms

- Bioshock (demo and game)

- World in Conflict (demo and retail)

- Splinter Cell Double Agent

- Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

- MOH Airborne

- Football Manager 2008

- Ancient Wars - Sparta

- The Sims 2 Bon Voyage (U.S. ver.)

- etc., etc.

So why "SecuROM" and what the heck made this funkin´ copy protection first choice for the paradox guys ?

Greetings - (a lenient but somewhat puzzled) Egon

[ February 07, 2008, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: Egon ]

If you look at Egon's list, and then go to any of the major bittorrent sites, you'll notice that SecuROM seems to have no effect in preventing piracy. All these types of protection do is prevent 'casual copying'.

I believe that this is also the second time SecuROM has caused an issue for those of us whose chose to purchase a Paradox version of this title. We are being punished for living in Europe and wanting to walk into a game store and purchase a physical copy of the game.

I'm drifting a wee bit away from the topic here (which is please make this game work... soon), but I've always thought that companies that utilise copy protection in an attempt to increase sales by preventing imagined loss of earnings are foolish. A better method is to release a great, working title and to encourage loyalty among customers by continued support and listening to concerns. Doing this will lead to the best kind of free advertising... recommendation and word-of-mouth.

Battlefront used to seem like this (I know they still used copy protection, but it was less intusive). Not only did I purchase all three of the previous Combat Mission games, but I convinced at least 3 other people to do the same. I haven't dared even to ask any of my friends to buy CMSF yet.