Out of memory

Not sure if anybody is interested but I might have a fix here.

Even if it doesn't work in every case, it should result in higher frame rates, especially for computers that are low on RAM and/or have a video card that is low on video RAM.

Attached to this post is a zip file that contains two batch files.

To use the batch files, you will have to have installed a terrain mod for CMSF.

If you don't have one already installed, check the repository, there are some good ones up there. Myself, I spent a good deal of time a while ago "mixing and matching" files from various terrain mods to come up with a good "mix" of files that worked for me.

What these batch files do is modify the most commonly used terrain textures (grass and mud) by (temporarily) replacing them with the low resolution (smaller) versions that are used when the camera is zoomed out (if you know what I mean). This reduces the strain on both your system RAM and video RAM. You should also be able to play on larger maps, if you were having trouble loading them before.

I realise this may not be to everybody's taste, but you can always uninstall if you don't like it. IMHO the end result makes the grass and mud textures look a little bit like their counterparts in the original "Operation Flashpoint" game (which I'm a big fan of).

Anyway, put the files in the folder where your terrain mod is installed. I usually have mine in "\Data\Z\Terrain" within the game folder. Note: if you are running Vista or Windows 7, you'll probably have to run these batch files as Administrator if you have installed the game to the default location with your "Program Files" directory (unless you have UAC switched off).

To install this little "mod" run the batch file called "install_light_terrain.bat".

To uninstall and revert back to the way things were before installation, run the batch file called "uninstall_light_terrain.bat".

Any problems, just give me a shout here or send me a mail (mail address is in my profile).

PS if there is any interest, I can knock up a version that also modifies other commonly used textures such as the sand, dirt and brush etc. Also, I usually play on maps that are "green", i.e. are mainly covered in grass (as opposed to sand/desert maps) - so this little "mod" was made with that type of map in mind. Desert maps will not be as "boosted" by this. You could also "roll your own" versions using the batch files as a guide.

light_terrain.zip

These 'tile' replacement graphics will probably help with some users running larger maps. Thanks for your efforts.

For those who are running into problems with the 'Night Stalkers' battle in the campaign, we have yet to find a fix for this particular problem. I don't think that these replacement tiles will help with this particular issue, but they could be tried just in case.

I'm tried of losing 'Night Stalkers'.

All ok and I played the next scenario "Dagger Fight".

When I went through this scenario I was still out of memory.

So I think the problem is the scenario "Ambush Alley".

If battlefront is interested I have both saved game immediately before the out of memory!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting this error now, but I am just playing a PBEM and the current file is only 4.3mb

My specs;

Dual Core 6300 1.8ghz

4gb RAM

ATI Radeon HD 5850 1024mb GDDR5

32bit XP

Even with my new card taking up 1-of-4 GB max RAM (32bit OS), I can't understand how I get this error.

*EDIT*

Tried turning down the settings (really shouldn't be an issue to begin with) and watch CMSF in my Task Manager during game launch and PBEM loading,

at the most, CMSF is using about 80,000k of memory and my total Commit Charge is less than 20% overall (497mb of 3000mb) and that's not even including page file memory, which should not even come into play here.

I read BigDuke6 saying he experiences the same issue with 20mb PBEM files, but with 4mb files, what gives?

GDog - How far along in the PBEM are you (which turn) ? What is the specific error that you're getting or are you experiencing crashing ? Do you know which Catalyst driver you have installed for your Radeon 5850 ?

Thanks for your interest Schrullenhaft.

I am at about turn 8.

At 29% loading the pbem turn, the progress bar stops, 10 seconds later I get "Out of memory" error window, can still bring my mouse over it, click close, back to desktop.

I have the most recent ATI drivers: Catalyst 10.3 for XP, released Mar 24 2010.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just installed Catalyst 10.4, still getting the same problem.

I am able to load a default scenario, get into the game and move around fine.

Tried loading up the same PBEM turn that was giving me trouble, and it still crashes "out of memory".

What did everyone else in this thread come up with? Seems Schrullenhaft has moved on, and with nobody else posting, am I alone with this issue now?

No, other people occasionally get this error. Most of the time, with a new setup, it might be tied to the map size/features. There is the possibility that video drivers may also exacerbate the issue and if there is any issue with texture or vertex management, that MIGHT produce an 'out of memory' error.

Some of the other 'out of memory' problems, like what you're experiencing with an in-progress PBEM, are tied to something else. I'm not sure if some of these save-games/PBEMs are experiencing file corruption (potentially a factor outside of CMSF's control) or if there is actually some bug within CMSF and its save-game format that results in the filling up of 'pointer space' which can result in 'out of memory' errors (even when there is plenty of physical and virtual memory available). These are only guesses on my part.

We can reproduce some of these errors with the save-games/PBEMs that customers provide, but until Charles looks at them, we can't really do much with them without running them through debug-versions of the game (which are created for alpha/beta testing of new executables). Charles is in the process of working on the NATO module AND the new CM:Normandy game (going back and forth between the two - though they will NOT have the same features). So it is possible to submit this as a possible bug (along with the save-game) and see if there is a legitimate bug in here or just file corruption.

Well for now I sent in one of my pbem turns that generates the error.

I seem to be able to launch large scenarios and campaigns at high settings fine, mind you I have not tried playing them out to see if I get the error.

Wondering what factors outside of CMSF would cause file corruption, and if it's something on the users system, why wouldn't it corrupt all pbem files? With different users reporting the same problem over a variety of setups and GPU's, it seems like the only constant is CMSF.

For me, the problem is clear, it's something to do with my new ATI HD 5850 GPU. Everything was fine before I put it in. But there are NVidia users in here too, so who knows. I guess I could try some really old drivers, but I just hate reverting to old software.

I do appreciate your responses, and understand that while for me this is a show stopping problem, I am in the vast minority. This thread is only what, 3 pages long, with maybe a dozen or more players suffering the same issue?

I'm sure you can sympathize with those of us who are for now, unable to play the game. I have a feeling it will sort itself out with a patch, or another video driver or something...

But, with CMN on the horizon I'm bummed about the future.

• 1 year later...

Has BF come up with a solution for this problem? I recently started playing through the 'Thunder' campaign for the second time. I won the 'Night Stalkers' scenario but the game freezes on loading 'Ambush Alley'. I played 'Night Stalkers' multiple times hoping the save would not be corrupt but it did not work. What was weird is that I got it to load one time but the game went straight to the stats screen stating a 'Draw'. I was ablel to continue to the 'Into the Valley' scenario.

We were able to fix this WEGO problem in CMBN, and that fix is included in the final CMSF patch. More testing will be needed to confirm this, but my own testing indicates that it works and the WEGO out of memory problem has been eliminated.

Specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz

Memory: 6.00 GB of RAM

Video Cards: EVGA GeForce GTX 470 SuperClocked

Mother Board: EVGA nForce 750i SLI

Direct X: 11.0

The first post was in 2007! I take it not alot of people have this problem thus no one really wasted time looking into it.

The problem became more widespread with CMBN - in the CMBN tech forum you'll find a very long, very recent, thread dealing with WEGO memory issues. I started looking at it a few months ago when a user reported it, then got into it more intensely when many reports started popping up post-release. It took some serious work to track down.

• 7 months later...

I just had this error. I finished the 'Night Stalkers' mission in the CMSF campaign and just as the next scenario is loading I get the 'Out of Memory' error. I'm playing RT.

System:

- Win 7 64-bit

- 6GB RAM

- ATI 4870 512MB

- Core i7 920

I noticed a lot of people get this error after completing 'Night Stalkers'. Has the issue been narrowed down to this specific scenario? I recently re-installed but before that I had CMSF installed into Program Files instead of the default C:\Combat Mission Shock Force and didn't encounter any 'Out of Memory' error (though I did not get to 'Night Stalkers'). I don't understand programming and the like so it probably has nothing to do with it but I just thought I'd throw that possibility out there.