Nvidia users, immediate testing required

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by rune:

I tested with better/better in the game and still ahd improvement. Set the nvidia control panel to balanced, then try the balanced/balanced in the game with the alt tab trick, then try it with the better/better and the alt tab trick.

Rune

Sorry no progress here. Done everything as suggested. Same old 9FPS at max settings in Allahs fist on my 8800 :( .

cheers

Try the nvidia control panel to balanced, then game to balanced/balanced. get into the scenario and alt tab out then back in, what frame rate are you getting with the 163.67?

Rune

Rune,

I did as per your suggestions, here are the results:

Balanced: 22 FPS, ALT TAbbing resulted in 27 FPS

Improved: 10 FPS, ALT Tabbing resulted in 16 FPS

Better: 5 FPS, ALT Tabbing resulted in 6 FPS

Best: 5 FPS, ALT Tabbing resulted in 5 FPS

Basically the same as before with the 163.44 drivers.

cheers

I test this new 163.67 drivers and show my results :

GF 7600 GS 256MB,AMD64 X2 3800+

Battle "Allahs Fist":

Fastest/Fastest 44 FPS (drivers 163.44, 41 FPS)

Balanced/Balanced 24 FPS(163.44, 22 FPS)

Fastest/Best 12 FPS (163.44, 12 FPS)

Best/Fastest 14 FPS (163.44, 14 FPS)

Better/Best 12 FPS (163.44, 11 FPS)

Only little improvents :(

No, it proves the alt tab is working for some of us. Since we are getting better frame rates with this new driver, and get even better frame rate with alt tab, we have narrowed it down a little. Charles is trying some magic to see if the frame rate can come up.

Also, try setting the nvidia control panel to balanced. Do NOT set for quality or try the settings yourself. Then try best/best, I did and got better framerate then the above.

Hopefully Charles can make some tweaks and nvidia fix the problem, and we may get there yet.

Rune

I didn't notice a big difference from 163.44 to 163.67 (8800GTX on WinXP) except tabbing out on the latter temporarily gave me a boost from 17 fps to 29 fps.

As soon as you start panning the camera around a little this dropped back down to 17 until you tab out again, which seems to confirm the texture memory problem.

Bflyblue,

i do not get the slowdowns again if I move. later today I am going to try to determine what the difference is between the quality and the balanced setting in the nvidia control panel, and try to narrow it down some more. The texture memory problem has to be fixed by nvidia, but maybe something charles can do to help things out.

Rune

I will try it Rune, but the greater increase in FPS looks more related to turning down the settings as I understand the data posted here.

Kawabunge gained maybe 1 or 2 FPS, Desert Fox a couple or so with the alt-tabbing, but dropping the settings as expected resulted in the double digit gains. Hukka had better results, as I hope to as well, but seeing as I have a 640mb card, and this does not address the software render v. hardware rendering deal I'm not all that optimistic.

Is CMSF supposed to operate in hardware render mode?

Doug,

More information is needed. What were the game settings? Yes, grass can cause a slow down, if you are best/best because you are getting three different grass types, better/better is 2 I think. However, if the card isn't handling the texture memory correctly, it is going to hose things up. so it might not just be the grass, but settings along with the texture memory problem. Did you try the alt tab to see if it helped the fps when at the slow marks?

Rune

Dirt,

I understand, but it is more then that. before the driver, i was in the single digits. I repeat this from an earlier post.

Better/better @1280 X 960 I was getting a consistent 24 fps.

I can live with 24 fps at that setting. Going to try best/best when I get back home with the nvidia control panel set to balanced. however a jump from 6-7 fps to 24 at better/better gives me hope, especially since I gain even more fps if I alt tab out and in.

hopefully you will see increase too.

Rune

Try the nvidia control panel to balanced, then game to balanced/balanced. get into the scenario and alt tab out then back in, what frame rate are you getting with the 163.67?

Rune

Allah's Fist Default screen

163.67 beta Nvidia GeForce 6600 256mb

Balanced/Balanced FPS ~30 (Vsync off ~54)

Alt-Tab ~30

Better/Better FPS ~20 (Vsync off ~24)

Alt-Tab ~20

Best/Best FPS ~14 (Vsync off ~14)

Alt-Tab ~14

I tried the balanced setting in the Nvidia panel, forcing off most of the options, and forcing on AF and AA and the numbers stay basically the same (turning off thread optimisation helps the most as I'm using dual core AMD).

Moving around a little doesn't seem to do much to the frame rates, but if I pan around 360 degrees, or even look straight up/down and return to the starting view, the speeds drops back down to what it was before I alt-tab out.

Originally posted by Kawabonga:

I test game with Video Memory Watcher http://www.nonatainment.de/web/Default.aspx?tabid=62

and my GF7600 256 MB be enough. Game on best setting use about 100 MB graphics memory on fastest setting about 50 MB. I dont confirm the texture memory problem.

Yep, the problem at hand is unrelated to driver issues. I think finding out why CMSFs special OpenGL doesn´t use hardware and falls into software rendering seems more fruitfull to solve the problems.

huntarr, kawabonga, remember the texture problem pertains to the 8xxx series of cards, I wouldn't think you saw a big difference.

Bfly, The dual core problem is pretty much fixed. My system is a quad core and I am using all cores and i CAN use the threaded optimization. However, my build is different then yours for testing.

I'll try the up/down thing.

Rune

DesertFox, I'm sorry if you thought that my FPS were affected by Alt-tab. I thought I showed that mine was not affected by Alt-tab. The only major leap was when I turned off VSync. The other improvements were simply lose of FPS due to increasing the texture and modeling.

EDIT: Belay this, Stinker Fox you edited on me smile.gif

Originally posted by Huntarr:

DesertFox, I'm sorry if you thought that my FPS were affected by Alt-tab. I thought I showed that mine was not affected by Alt-tab. The only major leap was when I turned off VSync. The other improvements were simply lose of FPS due to increasing the texture and modeling.

EDIT: Stinker you edited on me smile.gif

I missread your post, and thought ALT-tabbing also improved your FPS, thats why I edited it after realising my fault. I guess I need to spend more time on my reading skills smile.gif