Trouble loading saved games..

About 75% of the time ,when loading a saved game, I get a Microsoft message that says "CMSF has encountered a problem and must close". It ask if I want to send the details to Microsoft, I say don't send and I'm back at the desk top. I used to happen on start up of some of the larger scenarios but doesn't seem to any more. It almost seems like a timed out problem. The message pops up just as the loading line reaches 100%. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as sometimes I don't have time to complete a whole mission and must come back later. BTW I turned off Norton auto protect and that didn't help. Thank you.

Hmmm... that's odd! Generally problems like this are "either or" as far as CM's code goes. Meaning either everybody has them or nobody has them. Rare is the case when a single person has a problem with loading/saving a file and nobody else is reporting similar problems. On the other hand, I can't think of any reason why Windows would bomb you out so inconsistently like that either!

So let's see if we can sort this out!

1. Are you using v1.03?

2. Are you trying to load saves from previous versions?

3. If you experience a problem loading a particular save game, can you eventually load it if you keep trying?

4. How much RAM do you have and are you running other programs alongside of Combat Mission?

That should help us get started smile.gif

Steve

Hi Steve,

Just had a similar issue in the second campaign mission (airfield). I start CMSF, try to load the game, and it crashes. However, if I start another CMSF game first (just load and quit a scenario), then try to load up the campaign, everything works OK.

Campaign started under 1.03, which I'm still using. I've tried to load the game 6 times with no success. Have 1Gb of RAM, 565M in the page file when starting CMSF, and have 2.5G of space alloted for page files, so that shouldn't be an issue. I've set the turn aside if you want me to send it.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Hmmm... that's odd! Generally problems like this are "either or" as far as CM's code goes. Meaning either everybody has them or nobody has them. Rare is the case when a single person has a problem with loading/saving a file and nobody else is reporting similar problems. On the other hand, I can't think of any reason why Windows would bomb you out so inconsistently like that either!

So let's see if we can sort this out!

1. Are you using v1.03?

2. Are you trying to load saves from previous versions?

3. If you experience a problem loading a particular save game, can you eventually load it if you keep trying?

4. How much RAM do you have and are you running other programs alongside of Combat Mission?

That should help us get started smile.gif

Steve

1) I am using 1.03 but I think it has happened with each version.

2)In this instance I am trying to load saves from the same version, 1.03.

3)This has happened on new games which enentually loaded after I adjusted the options "down". Brandenburg & Wilcox for example.

4) I have two Gigs of RAM. Should be enough.

Thanks for the help.

Another oddity. When the load works the load bar sequence is 25%, 50%, 62%, 72%, 92% then start. When it never works the load bar sequence goes 5%, 25%, 50%, 55%, 67% waits for a while then crashes. If it starts off at 5% I know it will not load.

I t seem to be getting worse as I have not been able to load a saved game for quite a while. I have deleated all my save game and will start again.

Do you think it might be wise to totally deleate the game from the hard drive and reinstall with the hard copy I just received. I could then reinstall the 1.03 patch?

I have tried with Norton disabled and with the windows firewall disabled with no success. I have not tried with both turned off though but you shouldn't have to do this just to run a game.