Is this causing the problems with the 8xxx series?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by peleprodigy:

158.19 did me no good.

I switched my VISTA 32 machine to Forceware 158.18 yesterday.

Actually this worsened the situation considerably.

With 158.18 I only get 4 FPS in the initial Allah´s Fist setting whereas the 163.44 drivers give me a whooping 8 FPS.

CMSF Options:

Display: 1600x1200

Vert Synch: Off

3D Model: Better

3D Texture: Best

Anti-Alias: On

High Priority: On

Test Setting: When Allah's Fist is loaded as the Blue Player, looking down the long dimension of the map.

VISTA Ultimate 32bit (1600x1200)

ASUS P5B Deluxe Wifi MoBo

Core2Duo E6600 @ 3.33 Ghz

4.0GB Ram (DDR2 PC 6400)

Nvidia 8800GTS (640MB Vram)

Forceware 163.44

8 FPS

OT remark: This machine scores the following World in Conflict Demo benchmark results: (1600x1200, very high setting: Average 23, Min 13, Max 44)

Addendum: Before switching drivers I of course deinstalled the 163.44 via controlpanel, rebooted, cleaned the rig with drivercleaner.net, rebooted and then installed the 158.18 drivers, rebooted and ran the test.

What really ticks me off is the fact that my 7950GT card on my other VISTA64 machine scores 15 FPS with the same settings and 163.44 drivers. In this case switching to "threaded optimisation=off" brought an increase of FPS from 4 to 15 FPS. The 8800 GTS is unimpressed by this switch though.

[ September 05, 2007, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: The DesertFox ]

Originally posted by peleprodigy:

[snip]... the results weren't that much different than my 8800, which now makes sense, because i used the same processor in both cases (since it was software rendering).

Have you tried downclocking your CPU to check this out? I mean if performance in this situation is really CPU dependant, I assume we should see different results with a C2D clocked at 1.8Ghz versus 3.4Ghz ? I guess I´m checking that out with my VISTA32 machine myself once I´m back from work.

I have an update on the error I managed to dig out.. I noticed that the error doesnt occur before I click and select a unit. And every time I click a unit it creates two errors (the icon flashing blue and green?!?). Also when a unit (abrams in Allahs Fist battle) moves it starts to generate more and more of these errors.

Edit:

I did some more poking around again... This time I downloaded the OpenGL Extension Viewer:

http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/download.html

This program allowed me to get a real big pile of information about my OpenGL driver and what it can do. There was this report page in which in the end there were these lines:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;"> Extension verification:

GL_EXT_copy_texture was not found, but has the entry point glCopyTexSubImage3DEXT

GL_EXT_subtexture was not found, but has the entry point glTexSubImage3DEXT

GL_NV_half_float has the entry point glVertexWeighthNV missing!

GL_NV_half_float has the entry point glVertexWeighthvNV missing!

WGL_NV_vertex_array_range was not found, but has the entry point wglAllocateMemoryNV

WGL_NV_vertex_array_range was not found, but has the entry point wglFreeMemoryNV

GL_HP_occlusion_test was not found, but is available in driver version 2.1.0

GL_NV_framebuffer_multisample_ex was not found, but is available in driver version 2.1.0

GL_NV_texture_compression_latc was not found, but is available in driver version 2.1.0

GL_OES_conditional_query was not found, but is available in driver version 2.1.0

</pre>

BTW - I have a very long list of PC games (new and older) that run great on my new system using the same drivers. Hard to imagine it's a glitch in the driver, but rather something CMSF is trying to make the driver/card do it does not like.

This is interesting Hotti and IMHO please do keep up the addition of new data, but what would be even more interesting to me is know whether BFC has been able to duplicate the symptoms and identified the problem themselves.

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

BTW - I have a very long list of PC games (new and older) that run great on my new system using the same drivers. Hard to imagine it's a glitch in the driver, but rather something CMSF is trying to make the driver/card do it does not like.

This is interesting Hotti and IMHO please do keep up the addition of new data, but what would be even more interesting to me is know whether BFC has been able to duplicate the symptoms and identified the problem themselves.

please...do you run fine the 1.02 demo scenarios?

I switched computers between the 1.01 and now Knaust. I never even D/L'd the demo, I bought a pre-release offer of CMSF based on enjoying CMx1 for many years.

On my old machine was running the full 1.01 and 1.02 release version of the game was not a problem.

That is the weird and frustrating thing about this GewForce 8800 / CMSF problem. My old machine with a 3 year old card actually ran this title better! Moreover, CMSF is the *ONLY* title that exhibits this weird behavior.

Knaust1: you DO know there are other CM games than Shock Force? There is Beyond Overlord, Barbarossa to Berlin and Afrika Korps. Shock Force is the first game using the CM2X engine. The older games use the CM1X engine. But this is not the thread for this. I think it would be helpful is someone else could also try the PerfKit set from nvidia and see if you get the same problem. Also the OpenGL Extension Viewer data reference could be helpful.

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

I switched computers between the 1.01 and now Knaust. I never even D/L'd the demo, I bought a pre-release offer of CMSF based on enjoying CMx1 for many years.

On my old machine was running the full 1.01 and 1.02 release version of the game was not a problem.

That is the weird and frustrating thing about this GewForce 8800 / CMSF problem. My old machine with a 3 year old card actually ran this title better! Moreover, CMSF is the *ONLY* title that exhibits this weird behavior.

if you have version 1.01 you can try to run it with your GeForce 8800...it could be interesting to see if version1.01 runs fine...

obviously if it is not cumbersome for you

Knaust1: the problem with 8xxx series has been since (release) version 1.01 of CM: SF.

Dirtweasle: Just to give you a heads up the PerfKit package needs its own driver (which is provided with the package). It gives some sort of special access to the GPU so it can monitor the activity. The driver is called an "instrumented driver".

You can always return the license to the eLicense server and you have another activation. Unlike with Bioshock the eLicense system actually works. I have other titles that use eLicense and just go to control panel -> eLicense panel and return the token to the server. That is if you have access to the old computer tongue.gif But no, the PerfKit shouldnt (at least it didnt on my computer) screw up stuff.

I'm not worried about Perfkit hosing up the license, just un-installing CMSF and not being able to re-install it having used up my two licenses.

See, I used both activations already, one on my new PC and one on the old. I can fire up the old computer and un-license it I guess. I do need to pull off some family photos from it one of these days anyhow.