crashes

Which game are you playing (CMBO, CMBB or CMAK) and is this the full version or a demo ?

I assume that you have a Windows-based computer, if so which version of Windows are you running ? What videocard and drivers do you have installed ? Do you have any other problems with your computer crashing (such as other games) ?

Do you know about how long you can run the game for before it crashes ? Does it take a certain or consistent amount of time before the game crashes ? When it crashes does the game just disappear and everything else works OK or do you get a 'blue screen' error or does the computer lockup ? Are you doing anything in the game in particular (a certain action, etc.) when the crash occurs ?

crashes for me also.

new install of cdv anthology CMAK w/ patch. XP pro, fx5700, driver version 6.14.0010.8198.

No system does not crash with other games.

It runs about 5 -10 min and then hard locks up. screen freezes, displays video, no alt-tab out, vulcan neck pinch does nothing, except once it brought up task manager and I was able to shut down CMAK. then on restart CMAK would only come up in 640x480 software mode.

Dogface, basically I'm going to assume that your problem is most likely due to the CPU more than anything else. To test out your CPU you may want to download and run Super Pi and see how well your computer handles it. With the larger calculations, this utility should hopefully stress your CPU enough to see if it has any problems (such as overheating with a high duty-cycle / usage). There are some other "diagnostics" you can run that can stress your CPU, memory and memory controllers such as Prime 95 and Stress Prime 2004 (an utility that helps to run Prime 95 for stess testing purposes).

If you computer locks up on these tests, then you may have an overheating problem (most likely caused by the CPU, but other items could be the culprit) or a power supply problem of one sort or another.

Your videocard could also be a source of overheating that could potentially cause similar lockups.

Schrullenhaft,

My cpu seems ok with the pi test. Im gonna reinstall and see if maybe it coulda been the patch. Before I just installed the game, and then the patch, then played. I have other graphicly challenging games that do ok on my card so I suspect the patch right now. Ill do the reinstall and let you know.

Just to make sure that you've tested your computer thoroughly with SuperPi; from the Calculate menu item you click on the drop down dialog to 32M correct ? The default initial choice of 16K is far too short of a test for your CPU since it will calculate that far too fast to be of any worth in checking CPU stability/overheating.

Typically patches for CM, if they install without a noticeable error, usually aren't the problem. There's just one executable and a few .DLLs/bin files (for TCP/IP) that matter a whole lot. If something has become corrupt about the executable you would most likely get an immediate error. If the install were corrupt I would expect a 'blue screen' error rather than a hard lockup.

Nevertheless, occasionally someone is able to fix their issues by reinstalling (the whole game or a patch). So the reinstall is probably worth performing.

Schrullenhaft,

Ya pi test passed ok with no lockups.

+ 000h 17m 30s [ 16M]

+ 000h 37m 56s [ 32M]

I reinstalled and on the same scenario w/ same video settings it lasted for about 2 turns, then hard locked. Before it was hard locking during initial setup. Last time it was after the turn 2 movie during movment. I dunno, Ill try the CMBB disk after work today. I guess this may be why the 3 disk set was 19.95.

If your CPU/Memory has passed the Mprime tests then it would seem that they aren't the culprit since that should be a sufficient test to generate overheating or whatever other possible failures you might see from them. Although you've said that other 3D games haven't had a problem with the videocard, you could test it too. Download 3DMark2001 or 2003 and run the benchmarks in a repeating loop to see if any problems crop up.

Typically CM stresses the memory bandwidth of videocards in terms of moving textures around, etc. Newer games however utilize lighting effects that in turn utilize more of the GPU than the CM series would. So some of the newer benchmarks and games should stress the GPU a bit more than the current CM series.

Let us know your results when you reinstall/patch it again.

[ August 30, 2006, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Hmmm...I bought a CDV version and it also crashes shortly after play and my PC handles games with much, much greater software (Battlefield 1942 + mods) - I'm begining to believe it's the method of distribution and not the coding of Battlefront.com which is causing my issues. Big Bytes - were they they people whom first distributed the game?

Big Bytes sounds like a non-existant distributor. Big Time Software (BTS) is the actual developer that is closely related to Battlefront.com (BFC), the North American and rest-of-world (excluding most of Europe) distributor. BTS and BFC are almost the same company, but not quite. CDV is the European distributor who also has a division distributing to North American (and other parts of the world ?) retail. If you purchase a copy from a physical store, online retailer, etc. you're most likely getting the CDV version. To get BFC's version you would have to purchase directly from this site.

The differences between the CDV and BFC versions is the copy protection method (SafeDisc vs. custom disc check) and some Nazi-related censorship (German law, since they're a German company).

Redwolf is primarily relating the undesireable choice of SafeDisc protection, which occasionally causes some incompatibilities with some disc drives or possible software setups.

In your particular situation you may want to double check your software environment for anything running in the background and see if turning it off or disabling many of the background applications helps. If you're using a 'CD-emulator' program, you may want to try using the actual CD itself to see if that potentially solves the issue, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I've ATI X800 and both CM2 and CM3 crashes (totaly: needs to reset)... My two previous ATI cards (9200 and 9500 series) worked just fine.

Intresting point is that crashing happens in middle of mission. If i open autosave it can work 1 turn or less and then it crashes again! Never happens at start of the mission, but when more than 10 turns have bypassed. I've taken all graphical details and ambient sounds off, but it still crashes. Sound more like game's than ATI card's problem. But as i said no problem with previous cards.

Originally posted by Secondbrooks:

I've ATI X800 and both CM2 and CM3 crashes (totaly: needs to reset)... My two previous ATI cards (9200 and 9500 series) worked just fine.

Intresting point is that crashing happens in middle of mission. If i open autosave it can work 1 turn or less and then it crashes again! Never happens at start of the mission, but when more than 10 turns have bypassed. I've taken all graphical details and ambient sounds off, but it still crashes. Sound more like game's than ATI card's problem. But as i said no problem with previous cards.

I am getting really tired of rubbish from people like you.

We had - how many - 4 threads on the same topic in the last weeks?

Did you read any of them?

We posted test programs to see whether your computer is solid or not - did you run them?

We asked everybody else the same questions - did you run test programs, do other games run fine etc etc etc. Did you read any of them? Nope. How's anybody supposed to help you?

Originally posted by Redwolf:

I am getting really tired of rubbish from people like you.

We had - how many - 4 threads on the same topic in the last weeks?

Did you read any of them?

We posted test programs to see whether your computer is solid or not - did you run them?

We asked everybody else the same questions - did you run test programs, do other games run fine etc etc etc. Did you read any of them? Nope. How's anybody supposed to help you?

I'm sorry if you get tired (why did you feel so great urge to reply then?). My hardware and software is compelitely same, only ATI card has changed. Oblivion, Operation flashpoint, CIV4, T-72 Balkan on fire and 1848 runs fine, although severe lag might be present if i make missions with battalion level fights (OFP).

Why does ATI card affect to fact that mission doesn't hang-up in beginning but in middle of mission. And after that first freezing, hang-ups happen between 1-2 turns during both plan-, and actionphase if i open autoload of that mission. If i start new mission same pattern goes on: no problem in begin, but after some 10 turn freezing starts again? Or in debriefingscreen if i'm very lucky to get that far.

I've read those replys and i'm doing them. I'm not hardware or software wizard, so please my stupidness: but i don't think it has anything to do with overheating (as i've strained my computer with heavier stuff that CM and never this kind of thing has happened.)

i'll figure out this myself, so no need to reply if no-one haven't faced same issues. I ment that as a guestion if anybody have that kind of experience, so that i don't need to waste days in finding source of problem . As conditions for freezing are somewhat intresting (don't you think?). In progress... Right now i'm testing CM3 with decreased hardware acceleration...

Yeah, but you realize that a game cannot possibly crash your OS unless it gets help by bad hardware or bad drivers, do you?

If your computer completely freezes then you know an application cannot be responsible.

The argument that everything is the same except the card doesn't hold either. The new card needs more power, produces more heat, uses a different bus protocol, uses different drivers. You installed new drivers after you changed the card I assume.