Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Sound Prob

Guest TOBRUK

Hi folks,

I hope someone can help a befuddled computer illiterate. Somehow the CM intro movie has developed problems; the video is great but the sound (once ok) is now garbled, and irregular. Also in the game the machine gun sounds are truncated sometimes.

In trying to track this down I;ve encountered other oddities: eg; I uninstalled the game(v105) completely, restarted, re-installed the game from disc (v1.0) & restarted. Before re-installing the patch I checked the cmbo folder in programs and it contained the ENTIRE UNINSTALLED VERSION, including old PBEM files I had saved separately. ie; I appear to be unable to delete and reinstall. Where was this program hiding? How can I re-install (the best way I can think of to check for corruption of the file)?

I also remove the 'mov' file but the program still played the old distorted movie when I started the program ( is it getting the movie frome the disk?). Is there a way to remove the movie?

further, I have a PC but lately d/l'd the new version of Quick time player (v4.1?). It appears that now I may be different versions on the computer. What QT file plays this movie? Which one do I really need?

Well, I'm going to go take an aspirin now. If you have any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Tom

Uninstall problems:

This is probably due to the fact that you have very few of the original files left. (New .exe, new textures, etc.) The uninstall only removes the original files.

Quicktime problem:

I've had some serious problems with QT too. It seems like every version of QT has it's own properties, and to be on the safe side I have three or more different versions installed (2, 3 and 4). Have you notice that even the QT file names change for each new version?

Possible causes to the general sound problems:

- The data transfer rate has dropped because of some other program running in the background takes priority. (A virus or something else you've installed lately?)

I've seen this happen; downloaded a cool movie to a public computer. It ran like butter. Transferred the file to my laptop, that's supposed to have better performance. Ran the movie chopped and with extremely clipped sound. Tried the CM intro movie on same laptop; clipped sound and very low framerate. Runs very smoothly on my tabletop that is approximately the same performance as the laptop.

- You may not have the drivers needed to run the movie in the latest QT. Try to just start QT and run the CM movie. If you need to get some other driver, QT will do it for you.

Hope this helps a bit

Olle

Thanks for the reply Olle,

Well, if add/remove takes out only the original version that could explain a lot. I've seen this problem with other uninstalls, and usually later find fragments of the program in the registry. I thought maybe the computer stores the whole thing someplace, and it gets reactivated by a similar install.

And QT; yes, the various names they use have confused me no end. I'm afraid to delete one version for fear it contains some file that another version, with a different name, doesn't have. Like are quicktime movie and movie player the same thing, etc? And it's hard to find info; their support is only available to those with Apple computers or products.

Anyway I haven't solved the problem but I'm bolstering my courage for a complete reformatting of my hard drive. smile.gif

Thanks, again, Olle; let me know if you have any other insights.

Tom