Freeze up hell here aswell :(

I have now tried the tutorial mission about 5 times and every time the game freezes and I have to kill the application like Lars above describes. If I remember correctly the freezes happen everytime I issue commands to my units.

My system:

AMD64 X2 4600+ @ 2.8GHz

Asus A8N-E

2G DDR400 RAM

X1900XTX with 7.6 CCC

XP SP2 32-bit with all updates

I have installed the AMD CPU driver, dual core optimizer and M$ dual core hotfix. ps. Must add that my system is 100% stable and all my other games run smooth as butter without any hickups.

[ July 28, 2007, 03:55 AM: Message edited by: sam0t ]

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Hi guys, keep the reports coming. It really does look like the AMD/nVidia is the main suspect. It's got to be a bit more than that since we have testers that have such combos.

Steve

Yes but JaguarUSF was one of those testers and he now reports that what was fixed for him in the Beta has resurfaced in the release version. I really think you need to consider the possibility that the wrong build of the game was somehow released by mistake. It could save you days of investigation.

Just noticed something I for some strange reason (Guess my brain is still in V0.1 mode)

Downloaded the demo and it runs without any problems, no freezes or lockups, hope that can be of some assistance.

Cheers

Staffan

PS.

I really really like the game, I hope a fix will be found fairly soon.

Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

Yes but JaguarUSF was one of those testers and he now reports that what was fixed for him in the Beta has resurfaced in the release version. I really think you need to consider the possibility that the wrong build of the game was somehow released by mistake. It could save you days of investigation.

Actually, it looks like I was having two overlying problems, one that got corrected in 1.01, and another that everyone else is seeing that they are working on now. They think the corrected problem (which had to do with models) was overlapping the second problem that everyone, including myself, is now experiencing. Rest assured that they are working on it, going so far as trying to secure a similar computer configuration to get to the bottom of this nonsense ;)

Originally posted by JaguarUSF:

Rest assured that they are working on it, going so far as trying to secure a similar computer configuration to get to the bottom of this nonsense ;)

That's good to hear. In the meantime I will play around with the editor, which works fine and looks to be very comprehensive. Hope a solution is found soon.

I am also experiencing the hang or lock-up problems. Only solution is to "end task".

I can live with the overall graphics - 3D model quality - and 3D textures set at FAST: I do not experience instability.

However, I have never been able to go for more than 7 minutes before the game hangs (locks-up).

I also have experienced a tank disappear in its dust and literally reappear at the far corner of the map (I presume the so-called teleporting problem).

My specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 x 2 3800+ (2.0 Ghz)

NVidia 6600 256Mb DDR

2.048 Gigs RAM - DDR

Windows XP Home

I have loaded the fixes and patches referred to on this website without any luck so far.

Hope you can help

I am too experiencing hang ups:

1) Battlefront version (1.01)

2) Asus A8N SLI-Premium

3) AMD Athlon 64 X2 duel core 4400+ @ 2.20Ghz

4) 2gig RAM

5) Nvidia 7800GTX 256 MB, Driver Version = 162.22

6) Windows Vista 32-bit Home Premium Edition

I just noticed that it happens mostly when i look from the battlemap into the surrounding texture of the battlemap. If i stay focused on the battlemap, there are no hang ups.

I had the same problem, but i seem to have found a solution,

my system:

-AMD opteron 170;

-NVIDIA 7900 GTX (latest drivers);

-XP pro SP2;

I first tried the ATGM ambush, it froze after 20 mins.

then applied the reccomended fixes:

-MS hotfix;

-AMD dual core optimizer;

-AMD cpu exe;

the problems got even worse, overlapping voices, teleportation, freezing after less than a minute;

-then on a hunch, I uninstalled the dual core optimizer ( it had given me trouble when I used it in the past) & set CPU affinity to one processor and zipped through the first 3 training missions with no problems whatsoever.

great game, by the way. :D

Also hangs for me and requires and "end task".

1) Battlefront version 1.01

2) Athlon 64 X2 5300+

3) 2Gb RAM

4) Nvidia 8800 GT

I've tried both:

- x32 XP SP2 with/without MS hotfix (did improve performance); Forceware 158.22 & 162.18

- x64 Vista; Forceware 158.24 & 162.22

I found turning 'Thread Optimization' to off in the Nvidia settings helped performance.

I'm having the same freeze problem as my post above notes.

Well I may have stumbled on to something. In the past I've had problems with texture filtering in some games. So I turned off the Trilinear optimization and SO FAR I can play the game for more than 1-2 minutes (No Crash).

UPDATE: I let the Ambush tutorial play out (I had never made it to the end). Then went and turned the Trilinear Optimizations on again. So far It has not frozen.

Hope this helps

[ July 28, 2007, 07:33 AM: Message edited by: Alan G. ]

Low FPS. Game runs to slow for really playing (but not all the time, sometimes it goes really smooth for some seconds). mouse moving is a pain. Installed MS fix/ switched off core 1/ set all option to off/low, but no change.

CMSF BF download version 1.1

Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 Sevice Pack 2 Bulid 2600

Intel Pentium(D) 2xCPU 2.8 GHz [x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 4]with 2GB RAM

Sapphire RADEON X800, driver 8.383.0.0 / date 6/13/07

[ July 28, 2007, 07:41 AM: Message edited by: Smaragdadler ]

Ok,as suggested elsewhere, i solved my low performance and crashes issue by turning the game from two cores two CPU Nr. 1 in the task manager. Now the game runs smooth like silk (Battle=Abu Susah, AF=8, AA=4, Vsync=off, textures and models on better) and so far i did not experience another hang up.

Changing the affinity did not solve my lockups (in fact, it made it worse). Changing the trilinear optimization did not solve my lockups either. Here are my system specs (I don't think I've posted them before):

1. Battlefront 1.01

2. AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+

3. nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MB version 162.18

4. 2 GB RAM

5. Windows XP Home Edition SP 2

I didn't need to do this once I uninstalled the Dual Core Optimizer, but here is how you do it:

1. Run the game.

2. Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to bring up Task Manager.

3. Go to the Processes tab.

4. Right click on CM Shock Force.exe

5. Select Set Affinity...

6. Uncheck one of the boxes.

I can't report teleporting units so far, but my game freezes, too, after some minutes!

Asus A8N Premium

AMD X2 4200+

XP Home SP2

2 GB RAm

NVidia 7900GTO

However, I set CPU affinity to CPU0 only and was able to complete the first training campaign mission without further lock-ups. As far as I know, the CPU optimizer is not installed on my system. So I dare to confirm that No-AMD-Optimzer + setting affinity to a single core is a good workaround.

JaguarUSF,

Congrats on getting it working if indeed it is now stable for you. I can't try the same on my system right now, maybe later tonight.

By the way, I forced the game "Red Orchestra" to use OpenGL rendering (a change to the .ini file) to see if my system had problems with OpenGL and it ran fine with no slowdowns or hangs. However, an admin screen (used to select team/weapon in-game) had some graphical corruption (but was still useable).

Hope this helps BFC. I will try uninstalling the AMD Dual Core Optimizer later.

Originally posted by JaguarUSF:

Here is my fix configuration I used to get the game to work without lockups and with both CPUs:

The Microsoft hotfix is installed.

The AMD drivers is installed.

The AMD Dual Core Optimizer is NOT installed.

I have tested this on my system and had no further problems so far, too.

Just a side note, the Microsoft Hotfix seems to require the same language as your XP. Just do a search for the Hotfix KB896256 at (as for example) the German Microsoft site.