Hi,

If the game ever does everything it says on the tin it will be great. Unfortunately it hangs pretty much 100% of the time I play it!

I have played QBs, Battles, and the first mission of the training campaign 6 or 7 times, and get a hang 100% of the time part way through each scenario. Strangely, performance seems fine up until the hang - no slowdowns or anything. One minute I'm enjoying the game, the next its completely frozen. I then use Alt-Ctrl-Del to shut down the game. Sometimes a hard reset has been required. Sometimes I have no mouse pointer and have to use the tab key to shut down the game.

My Specs are as follows:

Game Version: BFC Direct Download 1.01

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2

AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 3800+ 2.01GHz with 2GB of RAM

Geforce 7600GT PCI-E Graphics Card (not sure of RAM on it, how do I check?)

Latest graphics drivers, downloaded from nVidia and installed yesterday:

Driver Version: 6.14.11.6218

Driver Date: 29/06/2007

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same problems as Steiner with almost identical hardware. I have installed the MS Hotfix and that solved the flickering graphics problem but not the hanging issue.

Game Version: BFC Direct Download 1.01

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2

AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 3800+ 2.01GHz with 2GB of RAM, Driver version 1.3.2.0 and date 2006-05-27

Geforce 7900GT/GTO PCI-E Graphics Card 256 mb

nVidia driver 6.14.10.9424 and date 19/04/2007

Hi again,

I have applied the MS hot-fix. I have also applied the AMD CPU setup exe. The AMD Dual Core optimizer is already installed (I did that for problems I had with "Theatre of War" ages ago). I have also tried setting the affinity to only one core. I am still getting a 100% hang within minutes of starting the first Training Campaign scenario (not exactly a graphically taxing one, I might add).

In two recent attempts to run this scenario I experienced the following:

When I targeted a trench with my 40mm grenade launcher using area fire, then right-clicked, it hung immediately afterwards.

On the second attempt, it hung apparently randomly although I may have been moving the mouse to scroll the map at the time. However, on this occasion, every one of my units teleported to the far right corner of the map at the same time that it hung.

Hope this helps.

By the way, I test games for a living and I see hangs all the time even from big names like EA so don't sweat it - just sort it out as soon as you can :D . Cheers.

I was getting teleportation while I did my review, and they did a fix in 1.01 that solved it.

From the looks of it, I think the culprit is the Athlon 64 X2 processor: that is the commonality (I also have an Athlon 64 X2). I haven't played a non-beta version of 1.01 yet so I don't know if I still have the lockups.

OK - I have just tried my last game of the evening, and after 2 turns over half my forces teleported to the other side of the map. It happened during the replay of a turn based game, about 10 secs into the replay. No crash however. I just quit in disgust.

I've now seen the teleport thing twice in about 7 or 8 attempted games.

Fortunately ( I suppose) I am off on a rugby tour of South America in a few days time so I will have distractions to keep my mind off this, and I hope this is sorted soon. Cant help feeling that us AMD dual core users have had a raw deal - surely the dual core AMD chips are not so new that this fairly fundamental bug (freezes and teleportations) could have been missed? I am a huge fan of CM and have played it constantly for 7 years, but I have to say that if I went to my local PC games shop and bought a game that did this I would now be planning to take it back first thing tomorrow.

As its BFC I wouldn't dream of doing this, even if I could, but I have to admit to being disappointed.

Cheers

Al

Hi again,

Been doing some more tests and thought I had figured the problem when I finally got to complete the first mission of the Training Campaign. When I completed it I had resolution set to "Desktop", the in-game antialiasing option set to "off", syncing set to "on" and I set my video card to have x2 antialiasing and x4 anistropic filtering outside of the game.

This got me thinking that the problem was that I had been using an in-game resolution setting of 1280x960. I do this with most games because my monitor's default resolution, that I use for my desktop, is 1280x1024 and that isn't a correct 4:3 ratio like most games expect. However I've since tried it again with the above settings and it hung with the teleport problem again so it can't just be as simple as that.

I hope someone at BFC or paradox has just run out to borrow a PC of my spec to thrash this out on as I don't see how it can be resolved otherwise.

Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

performance seems fine up until the hang

I think my statement above regarding performance needs correcting. I have now noticed quite a lot of slowdown. The first mission of the main campaign game (night battle with 4 M1s leading the way) was very choppy. Considering my system spec, and reading how it runs smooth as silk on some ancient machines with much lower specs, this is not right. As I said in another thread, my PC handles every other game I throw at it with no visible slowdown - including "Medieval II Total War" which I believe is a graphically demanding game.

I'm getting a hang / crash after a random amount of time when clicking a unit or issuing an order. It normally happens very quickly (I don't last through the setup phase of the first tutorial normally, and rarely through the first turn). The game freezes and gives an error message related to my ATI drivers.

Athlon 64 3500+

2GB RAM

Vista 32bit Home Premium

Radeon x1800xl 256mb

This may or may not be related, but clicking on vehicles is very wonky. Selecting a vehicle or placing a movement cursor over a vehicle (say, to load infantry) results in a 5-10 second "hang" for the game before the unit gets selected or infantry gets loaded. Oddly, this delay is minimized by setting the graphics to the minimums, but it still exists and I cannot select vehicles without some level of freeze up.

I'll be getting parts for my Core 2 Duo / Geforce 8800GTS system delivered on Monday, so I'll be able to see if I get this hang / crash on that system as well. But whatever the issue with hanging on unit selection is, it isn't limited to just multicore CPUs and nvidia cards.

It is pretty obvious to me from JaguarUSF's remarks that something that was fixed in beta testing has somehow had its workaround left off in the actual release. Version control? I used to work in a software house so I know these things can happen. Maybe BFC should check this out as a priority?

Posted by JaguarUSF 20 July 2007:

The teleportation problem is a confirmed fix for 1.01 (I have personally seen it), which will be the release version available from Battlefront.

Posted by JaguarUSF 27 July 2007:

I got the final 1.01 install and I can confirm that I am getting the teleportation bug again. Weird since it was fixed in one of the beta versions of the 1.01 patch.

P.S. - If it does turn out to be as simple as a fix being missed off the final build then BFC should release a new patch immediately as it has already been tested. I don't see the need for weeks of testing in a case like this.

[ July 28, 2007, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: Cpl Steiner ]

I didn't have this problem when I played the demo. After downloading and installing the full game I am experiencing this issue. In the training scenario my units teleported and the game froze. I tried the first mission in the campaign and the game simply freezes whenever it feels like it. Performance up to the point of the game becoming non-responsive is great.

I thought it was a dual core issue, so I tried setting .exe to operate only on one CPU, but the problem persists.

I have an AMD X2 and an nVidia 8800 card. I'm seeing the teleportation bug in 50% of my games. It was rude when it first happened, I thought I had missed some vital part of the playback where a unit broke a ran away. Turns out I'm still crazy but this time it wasn't my mistake.

Incidentally, the whole team/squad doesn't necessarily transport. I've had several examples where only 2 of 3 guys in the MG team transported.

I have the same problem as stated by previous posters.

When starting a battle it runs without any performance problems. Then after a random time the game freezes and I have to kill the application. Most of the times (maybe always) the freeze happened when giving some command with the mouse. So far I was never able to finish a battle during my 10 attempts.

AMD 64 x2 3800

2 gig ram

GeForce 7800 GT

XP SP 2

Same here as what Lars has reported. No odd graphical glitches, it just freezes on me and I can´t see a pattern or even provoke it.

Edit: Lowered Options for 3D Model Quality and 3D Texture Quality from Better to Improved and had teleporting units during the second turn. On "Better" I haven´t seen this happening before.

It rarely if ever happens in the short Training Campaign games but when I try to play the first scenario of the "real" campaign I´ve not yet been able to complete it without a freeze.

My system:

AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 4200+

NVidia GeForce 7800 GTX

1 Gig RAM

Windows XP Home

Drivers are up-to-date, applied the AMD Dual Core patch mentioned in the other threads. thread.

[ July 28, 2007, 03:58 AM: Message edited by: Nolloff ]