German (1939-1943) Campaign

I am entertaining the idea of creating a larger German campaign for the game. I have just completed scripting the 2 extra polish missions from the polish campaign; I have added them to the German campaign.

What I like to do is focus mostly on the early blitzkriegs (1939-1942), add more units, to make things more historical. I know we don’t have a map maker, but I can use maps from other.

Germans would have

Poland

2 extra for Poland

Crossing the Meuse

French Counter attack against Meuse Bridgehead

The battle of Arras I (until flak 88’s become available I will use pak’s)

Russian

More Early Barbarossa battles.

Approach to Moscow, using maps from Moscow campaign.

Battle of Kharkov

Battle of Rostov

Battle of Stalingrad.

Manstiens counter stroke, 2nd Kharkov.

Would there be any interest in people helping with this or anyone wanting this kind of mod for Theatre of war. I am open for ideas and would gladly make changes based on requests.

I can do allot of the scripting, not a graphics person, if others want to help with that I am open.

Above is a start, any comments are welcome.

[ November 21, 2007, 06:35 AM: Message edited by: Red Barron ]

expanding the 1st polish battle right now, before setting my sights on the Meuse. Increasing battle areas and units. My computer can handle it, I don't know if it hurts performance on others. 2

The 2 Polish campigns I am going to continue to test this weekend, probally relase them for testing after this weekend, but I would need someone else to test it as well. If you like I will release the 3 Polish campaigns, to testers. I need feed back and will make adjustments.

Does anyone know how to change weather with scripting files, one mission I have rain, I would like it to stop and clear up in the middle of the mission. Short early morning rain then the sun comes out.

Polish Start for the Campaign will be

G001_Mokra Modified

G022_Bzura New

G023_Sandomierz new

[ November 14, 2007, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: Red Barron ]

Red Barron

Based on some elements of your description, it sounds like you are trying to randomize some numerical elements of certain fixed (and historical) units. While I feel that is certainly an excellent idea, I don't think there is any way to do this within the context of the game interface. Or were you copying this detailed info verbatim from some tabletop (or other) game source?

SlapHappy,

I am using allot sources to get information on the OOB for the battles. I am not a graphics artist so I am not going to be creating vehicle meshes. For instance self propelled infantry guns. 1IG33 105, Have to find a unit substitute for it. I also posted if they would allow boats on the game, so infantry could cross rivers. I do have paintshop pro for modifying skins or tga’s

Allot of this is just a start, kinda of throwing ideas out there and get feed back.

As far as modifying data or adding gun information, they allow modding of the game, maybe in the future I would consider unpacking the files and for adding mg 26t, The Maschinenpistole 38 or 28. Would be nice to have flame throwers as well, but their not doing that.

Starting out.

Felt that get what missions I wanted to do, then code each mission seperatly. When the map editor comes out modify the missions to each map, if it can be obtained.

Sources include:

Internet sites OOB’s wherever I find them.

The German Order of Battle Infanty World War 2 and Waffen SS and other Units.

Panzer

Panzer Truppen (1,2) The complete guide to the creation and development of Germany’s Tank force (1) 1933-1942 (2) 1943-1945.

Individual Division Histories and campaign books

The Blitzkrieg Legend: The 1940 Campaign in the West (French)

Poland 1939: The Birth Of Blitzkrieg (Campaign) (which I am waiting

The Battle of Kharkov 1942

The Battle of Stalingrad.

Battle of Kharkov last success 1943

Bunch of books on Barbarossa

Bunch of books on Barbarossa campaign.

For AI defence and attacks.

World War II Infantry Tactics (2): Company and Battalion

World War II Infantry Anti-Tank Tactics

Panzer Tactics: German Small-Unit Armor Tactics in World War II

The general idea would be to have a campaign containing long list of battles and elements of an infantry or panzer divisions. In historical situations and to closely model what happened, you’re never going to have the perfect war game. I played CC, Squad Assault and other games. The idea is balance, to have some historical accuracy and have fun. Not make it a full time job.

I would welcome any suggestions or help to achieve the goals, I am no expert, this is a hobby.

Originally posted by SlapHappy:

Red Barron

Based on some elements of your description, it sounds like you are trying to randomize some numerical elements of certain fixed (and historical) units. While I feel that is certainly an excellent idea, I don't think there is any way to do this within the context of the game interface. Or were you copying this detailed info verbatim from some tabletop (or other) game source?

[ November 17, 2007, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Red Barron ]

For the 1st Battle of the campaign will be the following using the Mokra map. (Until I have a map editor). This is a start for this map, any responses welcome. Polish Campaign will be as follows:

GERMAN_BLITZ

BL0001_Mlava

BL0002_Bzura

BL0003_Sandomierz

The Battle of Mlava Line

September 1st 1939, the opening day of the invasion an attack was ordered against polish positions along the Malva line. The task of the Deutshland and was to force a way though Polish positions screening the town of Mlava; the SS attack was supported by a barrage fired by Divisional Artillery, Panzers would accompany the attacking battalions. After a rolling Artillery barrage, Panzer-Regiment 7 supported by SS grenadiers (‘Deutschland’) regiment attacked the position. Panzer-Regiment 7 was beaten back with heavy losses. The SS grenadiers, stayed in position enduring shelling and sniping. The pace of the attack, which had gone it 15:00 hours, had been so swift that the group from the 1st Battalion reached a point only 150 meters short of the 1st line of defenses before being halted.

Possessing only four battalions of gun armed tanks, the relied mainly upon anti-tank guns to stop the panzers, so ended the battle of Mlava line.

Can you coordinate your forces and win the battle.

German OOB

Elements of the Deutschland battalion

Deployment

• 2 - Motorcycle LMG’s

• 4 - Squads of Motorized Infantry

• 2 - Pioneer Squads

• 1 – Recon

• 1 – Sniper

• 2 – Sdfz-222

Reserves

• 4 Motorized Panzer Jaeger Company 37mm Paks

• 2 – Sdfz-222

• 4 - Squads of Motorized Infantry

• 1 - Regimental Staff squad

• 2 - Motorcycle LMG’s

• 2 – Pioneer Squads

• Motorized Panzer Jaeger Company 37mm Paks and 6-LMG

6 – Self propelled infantry guns. (this is a problem) 1IG33 105. Have to find a unit substitute.

Artillery Support:

• 4 150mm Battery

• 4 105mm battery

Elements of Panzer Regiment 7.

Panzer Regiment 7 Division Inventory.

• 61 – Panzer I’s

• 81 – Panzer II’s

• 3 – Panzer III’s

• 9 – Panzer IV’s

• 10 – PzBef Wg

Deployment

• 1 - Pz Bef Wg

• 3 - Panzer 1b

• 4 - Panzer IIc

• 1 - Panzer IVd

Reserves

• 1 - Pz Bef Wg

• 3 - Panzer 1b

• 4 - Panzer IIc

• 1 - Panzer IVd

Polish OOB still researching

Defenders –

Polish: 10 squads

Fortifications,

6 sections of anti-tank guns

6 Counter-attack force (Cavalry)

battalions of gun armed tanks

Support

Mortar

[ November 17, 2007, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Red Barron ]

Campaign Description

Was thinking of adding the battle of Kursk, probally a good way to end it.

On September 1st 1939, the world was astounded by Germany’s ability to defeat Poland less than a month. With the world still puzzled by the suddenness of this event, Denmark, Norway, Holland, Belgium and France fell in rapid succession to the German onslaught, leaving Britain in shock. Greece and Yugoslavia where rapidly overrun during April 1941, Russia’s turn was next, when German forces began pulverizing their forces in June 1941. How had Germany achieved victory after victory, often against numerically superior enemy forces? The answer came in two words, Panzer and Blitzkrieg.

After the attempt to take Moscow failed, the Germans tried to win a limited victory in the south, by taking economic regions of Russia in the caucuses and don region. This attempt failed and ended up with the disaster at Stalingrad. By wining a victory at Kharkov the Germans drove on until they where stopped at Stalingrad. Having failed to win their strategic objectives, the German Army was overextended deep in enemy territory facing numerically superior forces in the fall of 1942. The last victory was in February and March 1943 at the battle of Kharkov.

Sneaksie,

After testing with larger maps and expanding the number of missions, the Poland mission will look as follows. Each battle for the Germans will consist of one historical motorized or mechanized company of infantry and one historical Panzer Company. The games will focus on combined arms, to complete missions.

The question I have is thier a limitation to infantry units. The game was having problems when I added an 100 troups to each side, when I reduced the number, the game worked properly.

What our the limitations to units in the game if any?

[ November 21, 2007, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: Red Barron ]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi! smile.gif

Just recently got a news that new patch come out with quite new possibilites, so during a break from exams I checked the forum again ;)

And I saw that You, Red Barron, search (searched?) for Polish OdeB- as I'm making Fall Weiss mod for Blitzkrieg I gathered quite a log of informations- do You still need them? smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to work within the confines of the game the battle maker makes it easier to develop OOB’s before you commit to them in scripting battles. After reading battles and dealing with the games engine I thought it best to break battles into small into small engagements with new maps for positions. Operational success in small engagements will allow someone to win the battle.

Have maps from 3 sources, books, online, Google earth. Problem with Google earth is that remote places like mlava, I can’t get close up views and also the on the ground layout is different. Allot of the map making will be hypothetical at best.

Infantry survivability seems to be an issue in the game, no smoke. I ran tests with 3 German squads against one polish in trenches. The Germans maneuvered 1 squad maneuvered around the rear, one squad in front and 3rd squad on the left flank of the polish position. Germans suffered heavy casualties only one squad left after taking the position. No suppression fire, smoke, the poles at novice, the poles where expert marksmen. I wish I had smoke, suppressing fire, entry into houses and flamethrowers, but I have to make do with things as they are.

Poland

Battle of river plate September 1-7

1 map battles. (New map) have good map from books.

Battle for Malava

This was a good battle and the poles put of a good fight. This would be an infantry only battle.

1 map 1 battle…..I have a map from Google earth…very bad. But do have land marks, there would be allot of improvisation to do it.

Battle of Mokra September 1st 1939

4th Panzer against the Wikynska Brigade

1. 800hrs Initial attack by 25 takes is repulsed by 37mm AT guns by the 21st Lancers

2. 8:30 Motorcycle scouts from 2nd and 35th Panzer regiment probe 19th Lancers Positions.

3. 10:00 Major Attack by 36 Panzer regiment into Mokra Clearing is broken up by Artillery fire from the 2nd horse artillery.

4. 11:00 hours. Renewed attack into Mokra Clearing, this time with Panzer grenadier support, Lancers are pushed back to the rail line.

5. 13:00 hours Main attack on Mokra begins with 100 tanks spreading though 3 hamlets. Close range fighting including direct fire from smialy against tanks drives Germans back to the woods.

6. Simially is destroyed by air attack. This was railroad Cannons, probably have to substitute, Polish Artillery

7. 16:00 Last major tank attacks of the day pits tankettes from the 21st armored troop against Panzers. The German attack is broken up by Artillery and anti tank fire.

8. 13:00 fighting breaks out btw armored train and the German tanks at Smialy, Germans infiltrate the positions, thereby flanking Mokra.

[ February 20, 2008, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Red Barron ]