Upcoming mods

Since returning home yesterday, I've been working on putting my four mods into the correct format for distribution. The method I've developed with the help of FinnN and HawkerT is outlined below.

I'm using the JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler. (JSGME). This seems to be a fairly common program for installing mods and can be found here:

http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products.html

Because for each mod you install there are files unique to that unit as well as files that are shared in common with other mods, I have included with each mod two different directories to be installed in the mod folder. The first is the name of the mod and the second is the Common Files.

1. Unit Name. (For example, "Oudy - PzIIIG"). This directory is the name of the mod and contains the unique data and mesh files for the unit.

2. Common Files. This directory contains all of the files that are shared in common by all of your mods and that have to be modified whenever you add a new mod. These files include filesid.ini, TankTables.ini, units.utf8 etc.

Hopefully, until there is a more automated system other modders will follow this same format because there can be only one each of these common files such as filesid.ini in the TOW directory.

I am going to include a "Combined Common Files" download that will have all of the common files for my four mods included. That way people won't have to manually modify any files.

As soon as the mods have been tested to ensure I didn't make any mistakes I'll upload them to Cmmods.

Oudy

HawkerT

You have mail, and thanks for offering to help.

Mueller72

Since you are familiar with JSGME I would love your feedback as well. So, if you would like to test the files before they go live, let me know.

Oudy

Sir Oudy :cool:

I gave you a straight "A" last time! But this time around you are forcing me to throw a resounding "A+" your way! Outstanding work Oudy!

Your installation instructions are right on the money and should help everyone make the installation a breeze! I have no further comments to the instructions, and the bad boys ... well I will let them speak for themselves!

First the Jerry lineup:

25110_thumb.jpg pziiig_thumb.jpg pzivf1_thumb.jpg

Then a true "EAT THIS FRITZ!" Imperial warrior:

firefly_thumb.jpg

Simly brilliant Oudy!

I have one final suggestion. Your awesome work sure deserves a pretty picture in the documentation folder for each mod so that we can right click and enjoy in JSGME (please see piccie below). The picture you put in there could also be the picture you upload along with your mods to CMMODS, you know the one that shows what each mod contains.

jsgme_thumb.jpg

Thank you very much for your hard work Oudy! A true pleasure to test your stuff! Looking forward to missions and campaigns containing your stuff.

All the best

Frans

Originally posted by Dr.Jones:

How, are filesid entries handled?

br.

Dr.Jones

Becuse I'm currently developing similar application exslusive for TOW, which will include automatic id generation and regeneration in filesid. If you will add a mod, it will add filesid entries at the bottom and so on, if you remove mod, it will automaticaly regenerate all filesid.

br.

Dr.Jones

Is the "Generic Mod Enabler" seen in the screenshot the same as the thing downloadable from the link at the top of the page?

If so, I've already downloaded Oudy's Yanovo thing and I was wondering whether it would add it automatically, as well as others, from CMMODS?

Wanted to do some bragging on behalf of Oudy beacuse I get the feeling he is not going to do so himself and because his work is ousing quality left, right and center. So without further ado, a small tribute to Sir Oudy.

Click picture for big shot!

"Ob stuhrmt oder sneit, ob die sonne uns lacht ..."

25110_units_thumb.jpg

"Die ruhe bewaren männer! Generalmajor Oudy has uns einer neue spitzenklasse fahrzeug gegeben, und es ist ja doch sehr schön nah? Oder?"

25110_a_thumb.jpg

"ANSTEIGEN!!!"

25110_b_thumb.jpg

"Vorvärtz! Die auge öffnen!"

25110_c_thumb.jpg

"Was sagen noch die Americanen? Vee are riding shotgun, SPW style nah!?"

25110_d_thumb.jpg

"HANS! PzGranate40 laden! Schnell! Schnell!"

25110_e_thumb.jpg

"...<static>"

25110_f_thumb.jpg

"<singing> ... Kalinka kalinka kalinka kaja!"

25110_g_thumb.jpg

Thank you Oudy

Frans

Originally posted by ColonelBlimp:

Is the "Generic Mod Enabler" seen in the screenshot the same as the thing downloadable from the link at the top of the page?

Roger that Sir!

Originally posted by ColonelBlimp:

If so, I've already downloaded Oudy's Yanovo thing and I was wondering whether it would add it automatically, as well as others, from CMMODS?

The stuff at CMMODS is not JSGME compliant as the ToW modders are just starting to get to know this little mod gem. JSGME was/is used extensively in many other communities but was born out of SHIII.

Now what Dr. Jones is apparantly working on is even better as it will automate even more stuff specifically for ToW modding.

However to tie you over until our ToW Wizard Dr. Jones finishes his marvels I have packed some mods for you in JSGME 'format'. So for your downloading pleasure here goes:

Drawde79's evil Single Shot French 25mm SA-34

The CC German weapon sounds from the Russian forum supplied to us by FinnN

And last but not least ...

Oudy's marvellous Yanovo infantry spectacle sporting new 'retreat before slaughtered' Axis AI

Just install JSGME and unzip the mods to your JSGME .../MODS folder (i.e. most likely "C:\Program Files\Battlefront\Theatre of War\MODS"). Then press the ">" button in JSGME and you are ready to rock'n roll.

Please also note that Drawde79's SA-34 does not share any common files with Sir Oudy's excellent stuff so when Sir Oudy releases his 'extravaganza set' shown above there will be no issues there.

All the best

Frans

[ July 12, 2007, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: HawkerT ]

Originally posted by Dr.Jones:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dr.Jones:

How, are filesid entries handled?

br.

Dr.Jones

Becuse I'm currently developing similar application exslusive for TOW, which will include automatic id generation and regeneration in filesid. If you will add a mod, it will add filesid entries at the bottom and so on, if you remove mod, it will automaticaly regenerate all filesid.

br.

Dr.Jones </font>

Thanks for all of your hard work and testing HawkerT, I really appreciate it.

Dr. Jones, I'm glad to hear you are working on a more automated system for installing mods. Currently, I put all of the common files into a mod directory so you can install or uninstall individual mods, but the user is required to append some files. I would love to help you out with your project. I'm going to release my mods so those who aren't intimidated by a little work can use them, but we really need an automated system and I would be willing to redo my mods into whatever format you develop.

Thanks Dr. Jones, FinnN, HawkerT, and Mueller72 for all of your help.

Oudy

Hi,

Just have made a core design of the app.. The principle will be the same as JSGME, but with some automatic eval of files. I'm going to automaticaly concat the filesid.ini, eEncyclopaediaCont.xml, and Local\en files, you will have to just put diff version of the file. Lets say that you want to add a new unit into the filesid.ini, you would just create filesid.ini with the new units, this goes also for the other files.

For other versions of TOW, could someone who has Russian version send me the Data\Local files, those would ofcourse be different from en dir, or any other language version, thanks.

This app will have to wait before my vacation, which is due this weekend,to be completed.

br.

Dr.Jones

I had your new units in a test mission and they run like a dream. Congratulations!

I had no problems installing.

If the common dir is installed and one of the 4 unit mods not there will be a '?' in the ecyclopedia but no big deal.

If you want to make it idiot proof:

As i cannot imagine why one would not have all of the new units you could have made one zip file with all dirs. With every new version this could have one more vehicle inside (please make more :D ) and the user uninstalls the old the version and installs the new version.

Thank you very much and keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

some update on Tow Mod installer,

had some time after vacation, and have done the version 0.1 with filesid.ini regenerations with deployment and the removal of entries and moded files. Now im focusing on the local\en entries in regards of encyclopedia data.

br.

Dr.Jones