can not parse file format in photoshop

Hey all, I know I am missing something here but for some reason when I try to open the targa's in photoshop, I keep getting that error where it states it can't open the tga's for the skins. Any thoughts ? ...thanks in advance. Using photoshop 7.1 and the 7.1 update was suppose to allow it use of tga's with alpha's etc.

The free Irfanview program works as well with the plugin pack........

Keep in mind some of those Targa's have a different file header and are not DDS but something else. They have IMF in the file header.

Dr. Jones developed a helper application to open those files and allows you to convert them to regular TGA. It is available in the same download package as the SFS Extractor program he developed. You can download the package at:

www.cmmods.com

Incidentally, FinnN also discovered that you can open the terrain map height tables in Photoshop.

Thet are the two files called NearHF.raw and FarHF.raw in the map directories.

I had succesfully opened them previously with the 3d Geoscape demo, but apparently that is not required for a 2d view (and potential editing capabilities).

They are simply what is referred to as camera raw files as opposed to the more common Jpeg files generated from digital cameras.

See this thread at the TOW modifications board:

http://tow.sieber-markus.de/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28

ah thanks guys much appreciated..is everything in this game backwards lol...Anyhow I already have the nvidia plugin but thanks again for the heads up and info. I thought I was having a blonde moment or something for a minute there...

anyhow looking forward to doing some skins etc.

It is available in the same download package as the SFS Extractor program he developed
have that from ya, thanks a lot ;) will look for it

[ July 11, 2007, 03:11 AM: Message edited by: KiloAlpha4 ]

ok 1 dumb question, the imfviewer, I assume I choose open with--> imfviewer to see those tga's and convert them with the imf header correct ?

note that there is no instruction in the readme on how to use the IMFViewer app.

thanks in advance...

• 2 weeks later...

Fellows: Could someone post a little more complete explanation of editing the .tga files using the Nvidia pluggin?

Dr. Jones, what program supports those extensions? It's not obvious to us new readers.

I am opening the .tga files using PS6 with pluggin. Then for campaign I am saving the file as a .dds with 1024 x 512 x 24bpp. Then I am modding the campaign.xml file to look for the .dds image. Still no go but will keep trying.

Got it, but yes, that was the first thing I tried.

Got it finally. Turns out I had the file extension being force to use "no caps". As soon as I turned that off, it worked OK. Thanks all.

[ July 22, 2007, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: J W Leonard ]