Thanx to the Modders and a Suggestion to use JSGME

I love to see the modders getting started and have the feeling they make this great game even better.

I suggest all modders to verify their mods are JSGME (JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler) compatible.

I saw the power of this free tool in the modding community of Silent Hunter 3.

Here you can download it:

http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products.html

It's easy as putting your files into the final directory structure. It automatically makes backups and the user doesnt have to copy single files.

JSGME.gif

If you have problems making your mod compatible i may help. Just PM me for that.

Best Regards,

Mueller72

Exactly Herr Mueller!

I agree completely and I am already using it for everything added to my TOW installation ... so don't leave home without it.

Modders! Also make sure to add and utilize the 'Documentation' folder that JSGME can read when right clicking on a mod within the program.

Also remember that FinnN has talked about treating us all (when releasing his German Infantry mod) with a tool that will handle appending of stuff to some files that can apparently not be handled with JSGME.

So between JSGME and the FinnN tool we should have a common denominator for all future TOW mod implementations.

Thank you to all the modders making this happen! Especially Dr. Jones, Oudy, FinnN, SlapHappy, Drawde79 and WebWing

All the best

[ July 03, 2007, 03:27 AM: Message edited by: HawkerT ]

Mueller72

I'm using JSGME for at least part of the installation for my mods. FinnN has been very helpful in showing me how to get everything set up correctly. I use JSGME to copy the two main directories for the new mod. It does that very easily. However there are 7 other files that have to be modified. Accordingly they cannot be included in the JSGME install because if you uninstall the mod you will delete those files, which you need for other mods.

These are the files that have to be modified for my PzIVF1 mod.

1. \Ai\Animator\Tank.rc

Append one line to the end of this file. The mesh number must be unique and sequential.

2. \Ai\Animator\HMesh\TankTables.ini

Append one line to the end of this file.

3. \Ai\Animator\SMesh\TankTables.ini

Append two lines to the end of this file.

These first three files control the animations for the new tank including things like gun recoil and crew escaping a damaged tank.

4. \data\local\en\encdescription_tanks.utf8

These lines should be inserted between the PzIVC and PzIVF2.

5. \data\local\en\units.utf8

These lines should be inserted between the PzIVC and PzIVF2.

6. \data\settings\EncyclopaediaCont.xml

This line should be inserted between the PzIVC and PzIVF2.

These next three files are needed to get the unit to show up in the encyclopedia.

7. \data\settings\filesid.ini

Append one line to the end of this file. It must be a unique number and it must be sequential. For example, if the last number in your filesid.ini file is "2189 voices_camera_2" then your next number will be 2190.

This file is necessary to make the game recognize any new unit or item. Since the item numbers need to be unique and sequential it make it a little tricky to automate. If you remove a mod that isn't the last number all of the other mods that you added after it must be renumbered.

FinnN is going to work on automating the process a bit more but I'm putting this information up so anyone who has the interest or inclination to figure out a better install process can do so.

My big worry is that people may mess up manual installations or that modders may not be clear about their instructions. This could affect their other mods and possibly the game itself. Fortunately, to fix the problems all you have to do is delete the modded directories since they only overwrite the original files which are inside the .SFS files and are not changed by mods.

Oudy

P.S. If the manual or semi-manual method for installing mods proves too difficult, I'll hold off distributing my mods until a more automated system is created. I don't want people cursing me because their game doesn't run.